Anyone replace their receiver with a OPPO BDP-105?

HT cOz

Anyone replace their receiver with a OPPO BDP-105?
« on: 17 Feb 2013, 01:49 pm »
Is anyone who was using their receiver as a pre/pro replace it with the new Oppo player?  It seems with two HDMI inputs and volume control it is a viable option.  I was thinking about simplifying my setup.  The biggest loss that I can see is loosing the height FL FR channels and room correction.  I don't really need room correction.

Thoughts?
Robert

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Anyone replace their receiver with a OPPO BDP-105?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2013, 02:18 pm »
Interesting that you posted this.  I have been thinking the exact same thing; simplifying my multichannel setups.  One option is to get an Oppo 103/105 and run the cable box (SA Explorer 8300HDC) through the Oppo's HDMI input, and letting post-processing do a DTS NEO:6 to it.  My HDMI switching, codec decoding and channel trimming would all be done in the Oppo.  I also use a Sony TAP-9000ES analog preamp but would replace that with a simpler MSB MVC with 2 mch inputs (one for my DSD 5.1, which is currently a stacked set of Myteks reviewed here elsewhere).

I don't do any room correction, etc so the only downsides for me is not being able to take 5.1 and make it 7.1 (i.e no Dolby PLIIx), and any handshake issues with cable box and HDMi input (known anomalies with unit).

ddafoe

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2013, 05:28 pm »
I'm currently running the HDMI output of my ($100) BluRay player to an Epson projector and using an Emotiva UMC-1 for audio processing.
I plan to get my Verizon cable box hooked up soon and was thinking of selling the Emotiva and trying the BDP-103 as it also has multiple HDMI inputs.
I am using the Emotiva's room correction so I would lose that ability which I guess isn't too big of a deal.

My biggest question is the quality of the BDP's volume control.
The 103's manual mentions:
"It is recommended that you use this control to make
the audio volume from the player the same as from other
sources, such as TV programs or a VCR."   

When I read this I wasn't sure if the volume control is that usable.  Does any know the range and quality of the volume control?
I'm always paranoid hooking up something not primarily meant to control volume directly into my amplifier, and in this case something bad happening could damage 5 speakers.
I'm also assuming volume control is only via the remote, correct?  If so that can be a pain too, although if you lose the remote maybe you have bigger issues...

I had assumed if I purchased the OPPO I would look for a used preamp/processor offering a 5 channel input so I get a good quality volume control.
Various Rotel, B&K, Anthem, etc... older models tend to go for $200 to $500 on ebay depending on the model.   I was aiming for something in the $200 range and then $500 for the OPPO.

Putting the two pieces together though in price equals the new UMC-200 Emotiva processor which happens to have a multi-channel analog input, so I'm still not certain what makes sense here.

If I can get a good quality and reliable 5 channel preamp (minus all of the old processing and switching technology) at a reasonable cost then I think I like this approach.

Cheers

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2013, 05:44 pm »
A buddy of mine just bought one (OPPO BDP 105) Tuesday. He had the same thought of a budget pre-pro all in one unit. i was glad he took the plunge since I'm still saving for one. Good news and bad news. As a DVD player and DAC, the unit is amazing. As a pre-pro, it has limitations. No "lip sinc" delay adjustment being the biggest. It would be a no go for my wife. That out of sinc dialogue drives her crazy (me too actually).

On the video front, it does upscale your cable box/ DVR to 1080p! :thumb:

A great value indeed, but maybe not a reference pre-pro yet. Who knows the 115 may have DSP with more features? We can dream. :)

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2013, 08:01 pm »
I have a BDP 103, and functionally it will work as a HT Processor, even the volume control.  But it's all menu-driven by the remote control, so it's not as easy to use as a processor with a big volume knob and source selector.

As long as you have an HDMI monitor hooked up so you can see the menus for volume level and source switching, and you use the remote, it will work fine.  You can't change volume or source directly from the front panel, and trying to make changes by reading the small player display from across the room is an exercise in frustration.  Also the analog outputs of the Oppo may or may not swing enough voltage to drive you power amps to desired levels.

Other than that, it works great.

Russ

HT cOz

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2013, 09:38 pm »
No lip sync does suck.  I wonder how they overlooked that!  Perhaps a flash of the firmware could add that functionality.

slowburn06

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2013, 07:57 pm »
Sorry, Late response; new member. Still relevant questions as the 105 is remains in production.

First, the 105 DOES possess ample "lip sync" adjustment via the remote/on-screen menus.

Second, I can attest that its "digital" volume works superbly when direct-connected into my five-channel power amp. it has the typical output of a typical preamp, but better S/N, separation, etc., than anything in its price range.

I actually purchased the 105 over the 103 to take advantage of the 105's pre/pro abilities in my digital-to-analog "purest" system. Frankly, I find most AVR's over the top and excessive in options, though if you have more sources and take advantage of a full-blown AVR's features, fine.

The 105 is very well made and the included remote, though not ultra fashionable, is also solid and the accessed on-screen menus are simple and effective. IMO, you get 95-100% of the usefulness of an AVR and a higher-quality interface and build than most products in the 105's price range. It has its own torrid transformer, as well, along with TWO jig-quality DAC's. Runs a bit warm, though.

My recommendation: Try out the meaning at your dealer and see if you agree that the 105 is simply a stunning hybrid performer. There are some revealing reviews and the OPPO site is full of info and a manual download also available.

I see no dedicated pre/pro in my future. I just hope OPPO stays on track and delivers the 105 update in the future. Truly a great product.