Back with Bryston...

jaxwired

Re: Back with Bryston...
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2013, 04:02 pm »
Dear Jax,

Seem to remember that you used to have PMC speakers, thought you had a video on that - but may be wrong, what made you choose the Dynaudio speakers.

Cheers,
Bob

True.  I did own pmc ob1i speakers and of the dozens of speakers I've tried over the last 5 years, those are my second favorite speakers, right behind these dynaudio c1s.  The main reason I sold the PMCs was simply ascetics.  I wanted something that sounded just as good but looked contemporary.  I care about the ascetics of my system.  I'm a very visual person. 

werd

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:23 pm »
Nice looking system.  Something you might consider trying with that dac into the amp. Try and find a TPV passive pre amp for audition. Set the pre amp volume on full and use the volume on the dac to adjust. Like that you get the sound of the dac straight into the amp  with a buffered impedance. It will tightened up your soundstage with better bass response. You also get an excellent isolation between the dac and amp for noise. I have and Audio oasis TPV but Bent audio on this site makes them too.

jaxwired

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:47 pm »
What do you think about Placette's passive?

werd

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:10 pm »
What do you think about Placette's passive?

Well, they look like a great passive but they are not a TPV passive. I only recommended trying that type of pre because I didn't want to interrupt the performance or sound of your system,but to only make the dac sound better. With that Placette pre you would want to use the volume on it. That was not my intention with the TPV but only to use the volume on the dac.

jaxwired

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:28 pm »
Gotcha, thanks!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2013, 01:54 am »
Took a little excursion with a few other brands, but back with Bryston now.  4bsst2 in da house...

Lookin' good there. Welcome back.

KingstonMoon

« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2013, 02:38 am »
Fantastic system ! Clean , sophisticated , simple and im sure damn musical !

Well done ! 

m00nhawk

« Reply #27 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:51 am »
I buy CDs and rip them to iTunes in lossless format.  Those are streamed to my airport express over hard wired Ethernet.  That signal is fed as a digital stream to my benchmark DAC (which is also my preamp).

Thanks--So, it's wireless to the benchmark?  Can you do hi resolution files that way?

srb

« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2013, 07:05 am »

Thanks--So, it's wireless to the benchmark?  Can you do hi resolution files that way?

The Airport Express can only output a digital stream via optical Toslink and would be limited to 16-bit/48KHz.

Steve

niels

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:16 pm »
Excellent setup. Nice to see a simple clean system.
You could add a Mac Mini on your table, have your music on that and control it with for instance an iPad. (you only need a screen the first time you set it up) Then you "avoid" wifi and can wire it directly to the Benchmark.

srb

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2013, 03:37 pm »
You could add a Mac Mini on your table, have your music on that and control it with for instance an iPad. (you only need a screen the first time you set it up) Then you "avoid" wifi and can wire it directly to the Benchmark.

Using a Mac Mini and eliminating the Airport Express would allow playback of up to 24/192 files and possibly result in better sound (?) with lower jitter via USB connection to the Benchmark DAC, but as far as I can tell there is presently no WiFi involved, and jaxwired has a hardwired connection - Ethernet > Airport Express > optical S/PDIF > Benchmark DAC.

Steve

niels

« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2013, 04:04 pm »
Ah yes, ok.
By the way, Mac Mini can also be run in 64 bit mode, and be fitted with for instance Pure Audio etc.

Napalm

« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:42 am »
Nice looking system.  Something you might consider trying with that dac into the amp. Try and find a TPV passive pre amp for audition. Set the pre amp volume on full and use the volume on the dac to adjust. Like that you get the sound of the dac straight into the amp  with a buffered impedance. It will tightened up your soundstage with better bass response. You also get an excellent isolation between the dac and amp for noise. I have and Audio oasis TPV but Bent audio on this site makes them too.

Werd - you forgot to mention THE CABLES!!!!!

blackhawks6

« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2013, 10:45 pm »
Jax, I am thinking of the exact same amp and the benchmark dac. How would you describe the sound? Also what is the limitation if any of using the dac as the preamp? Would you consider adding a phono stage to this setup IF you played vinyl at all? thansk tony

Heckler75

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm »
Bryston and Dynaudio  is pure ecstasy.  :thumb:

Jax, i have the same speaker, just with the chrome/blk stands (nice combo you have)

jaxwired

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:40 pm »
Jax, I am thinking of the exact same amp and the benchmark dac. How would you describe the sound? Also what is the limitation if any of using the dac as the preamp? Would you consider adding a phono stage to this setup IF you played vinyl at all? thansk tony

Hi Tony,

I don't play vinyl at all.  I'm 100% digital and always will be.  I think the benchmark DAC2 is a step up from the benchmark DAC1 Pre or HDR, less because of the DAC functionality and more because of the preamp functionality.  In the past I had tried my DAC1 Pre as a preamp and always preferred a dedicated preamp in the chain.  However, the DAC2 changed my mind on this and I could not be happier.  I love simplicity and removing a component from the chain is a big plus for me.  The sound is very clean, but with the usual caveat, not sterile or strident.  The Bryston/Benchmark combo has no obvious faults that I can detect.  Bass is rock solid and deep.  Highs are crystalline and pure.  Mids are very real.  However, I think you need avoid certain speakers that have a forward presentation.  Personally, I don't like those types of speakers with any electronics, but there's no shortage of them on the market so someone must like them.

jaxwired

« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2013, 06:41 pm »
Bryston and Dynaudio  is pure ecstasy.  :thumb:

Jax, i have the same speaker, just with the chrome/blk stands (nice combo you have)

You and I are lucky men, no doubt.  Loving the Bryston/Dyn combo as well.  Nice stands!