usb to s/pdif converter 4 channel

bracurrie

usb to s/pdif converter 4 channel
« on: 16 Feb 2013, 05:37 am »
I want to use a 4 channel DAC to support a biamped speaker system. The crossover and eq exist in software on the Mac. So need some way to get 4 channels of s/pdif out of the mac using either firewire or usb.
Ideas? Thanks ahead.

Crimson

Re: usb to s/pdif converter 4 channel
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2013, 07:44 pm »
Hello, and welcome!

A few highly regarded pro dacs come in multi-channel flavors (RME, Metric Halo, Lynx), typically with a FireWire or USB connection.

bracurrie

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:37 am »
Thanks Crimson.
I am already using a Focusrite Safire USB with four channels of output.  I was hoping to use a better DAC that only takes spdif. The manufacturer wants to avoid supporting software. Its a really good DAC so I was hoping to find either a firewire or usb converter.
Besides I hear that when you use separate components its better.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:05 am »
I was hoping to use a better DAC that only takes spdif. The manufacturer wants to avoid supporting software. Its a really good DAC so I was hoping to find either a firewire or usb converter.

Could you be more specific - which DAC is it? Are you saying that this is two-channel DAC, and you want to use two of them?

bracurrie

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm »
Audio by Van Alstine has its Vision DAC that uses a chip that can process 4 channels. So for an upcharge he will wire out the other two channels to result in a 4 channel DAC. Frank Van Altine knows analog and how to process it quietly. I have an early version of his DAC and its really quiet and dynamic.

bracurrie

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:42 am »
ok, I found an answer I believe in. The limitation is Spdif itself is incapable of handling 4 data streams.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2013, 10:22 am »
Yes, that would explain the confusion, SPDIF is stereo. I'm not sure what device would allow you to get 4 channels of S/PDIF out via USB, some of the more $ soundcards might (but then, the DACs are probably better too). Not sure if you've seen it but this list may be of interest:

http://www.channld.com/support-soundcards.html