Versalex Setup

notec

Versalex Setup
« on: 15 Feb 2013, 06:59 pm »
How easy is the WTL Versalex TT to setup?

Being a novice at setting up TTs, I'm very curious as to what I'm in for?

Is there a setup manuel in PDF form out there somewhere?

SteevA

Re: Versalex Setup
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2013, 09:51 am »
It’s not that hard to set up but there are a couple of things to watch out for around the LTD arm.

- When I compare mine, the one I demoed and the one currently in the dealer I have come to the conclusion that there is a bit of variance in the length of the string that supports the golf ball.

In both mine and the demo one the string was, I believe, too long, causing the arm to hit the back of the cup when you lifted the cartridge.  I solved this by adding a 3mm spacer under the main support tower.  In the demo one they had solved it by moving the whole support structure up about 3mm.

The unit currently at the dealer is the opposite and the string seems a bit too short making the arm sit a bit high.  You can adjust the string length and I may get around to doing that at some point.

- You also have to position the golf ball slightly to the rear of the cup and not dead centre.  If you position it dead centre when you lift the arm the wires, which exit the arm downwards at the back of the arm, can strike the rim of the damping fluid cup and eventually the insulation will wear through causing a short to earth when you raise the arm.  I suspected this might happen, just from looking at it, but foolishly did nothing about it – so now I have a short, with consequent hum, unless I have the golf ball slightly towards the back of the cup, which I now do.  I some point I will need a new/fixed arm.  Why they did not have those wires exit upwards I do not know.

Having said all that, it sounds great and is easy to use.

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:05 am »
As great as these tables are it's mind boggling how they made the wires exit the arm precisely over the sharp edge of the cup.  All they had to do was make the wires exit 1/4" further back and problem solved.  The tables are really easy to setup though once you figure out how to twist the thread suspending the ball and how much goop to put in the cup.

SteevA

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm »
I would add that the hum I mentioned only occurs when the wires touch the edge of the cup, which they now don't because I have shifted the ball back, or if I put my finger on the wires to demonstrate the effect.

I think there is good reason for not having the wires exit further back as some lightweight cartridgers may require the weights to be in very close to the cup. Exiting upwards or sideways would have prevented this problem without getting in the way of the weights.

Steve

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm »
Perhaps you could put a piece of automotive rubber trim around the lip of the cup?

SteevA

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:50 am »
That should work to both protect the wiring and to prevent the shorting even if the wiring does wear, but I think moving the exit to the top of the arm (or side) would be a better engineering solution.

Steve

notec

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2013, 05:56 pm »
It’s not that hard to set up but there are a couple of things to watch out for around the LTD arm.

- When I compare mine, the one I demoed and the one currently in the dealer I have come to the conclusion that there is a bit of variance in the length of the string that supports the golf ball.

In both mine and the demo one the string was, I believe, too long, causing the arm to hit the back of the cup when you lifted the cartridge.  I solved this by adding a 3mm spacer under the main support tower.  In the demo one they had solved it by moving the whole support structure up about 3mm.

The unit currently at the dealer is the opposite and the string seems a bit too short making the arm sit a bit high.  You can adjust the string length and I may get around to doing that at some point.

- You also have to position the golf ball slightly to the rear of the cup and not dead centre.  If you position it dead centre when you lift the arm the wires, which exit the arm downwards at the back of the arm, can strike the rim of the damping fluid cup and eventually the insulation will wear through causing a short to earth when you raise the arm.  I suspected this might happen, just from looking at it, but foolishly did nothing about it – so now I have a short, with consequent hum, unless I have the golf ball slightly towards the back of the cup, which I now do.  I some point I will need a new/fixed arm.  Why they did not have those wires exit upwards I do not know.

Having said all that, it sounds great and is easy to use.

Steve

Thanks for the tips Steve. Very insightful. Really looking forward to getting my Versalex and putting it in service!