Various subwoofers

jsalk

Various subwoofers
« on: 13 Feb 2013, 08:29 pm »
We build custom subs all the times and don't usually post pictures since they are often one-of-a-kind.  But I thought I'd share some photos of two recent projects.

The first is a pair of small 10" subs that will be powered by an outboard subwoofer amp.  The finish is our standard curly walnut to match the SongTowers and other speakers in this order...

The second is a custom project as well, but on a different scale.  It is a custom sub cabinet for the TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400.  Travis had a metal company fabricate a 1/4" steel plate for the bottom of the sub.  We then build the cabinet to match the steel plate.  The binding posts are on the bottom in a hole cut in the steel plate.  The finish was Mexican ziricote.  Here are some photos...

A shot with the grill attached...

And a shot of the side panel...

Happy listening...

- Jim

chargedmr2

Re: Various subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm »
Wow!  That LMS-Ultra looks great!  Of course, I'm probably biased since it's coming to my home :wink:

Thanks so much Jim!  I'll post back once it arrives and I get it integrated.  Time to break out the measurement gear!

OgOgilby

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:10 am »
Wow, they both look great, but the LMS Ultra is one serious looking sub!

audio1246

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:52 am »
That is one massive sub and beautifully made. I happened to see it during my visit to the shop :)

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2013, 02:37 am »
Wow - A Salk LMS 5400 Ultra sub!  I'm in love. :bowdown:

Is the subwoofer passive or is there a plate amp back there? 

Those dual 10's look wicked mean, in a good way of course.  You're both lucky dudes!

chargedmr2

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2013, 03:22 am »
Thanks Nuance.  The LMS Ultra will be passively driven.  I wanted long term flexibility regarding amps and also visual design issues came into play.  This sub will be placed next to a couch and it would be tough to keep the amp hidden in my situation should it have been mounted on the back.  I had to get wife approval, of course, and this is also why I went with bottom mounted binding posts.  Here's the funny thing though...I will be driving it with a SpeakerPower SP1-2400 plate amp.  I chose this for it's ability to run silently and out of view behind a row of books on a shelf.  I also chose it for it's solid power ratings. I can't wait to get this delivered and all set up.

rick240

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2013, 06:38 am »
What are the drives in those 10"-ers?

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2013, 01:45 pm »
What are the drives in those 10"-ers?

Those are our custom 10" drivers - same as in our HT3's and SoundScape 10's.

- Jim

DBeistel

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2013, 02:27 pm »
The 10"s look great can't wait to get my 15 in the same finish!!

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:01 pm »
Walnut doesn't get the WOW from most people, but it is a truly elegant look. The "standard curly" actually looks 3-D in person and the color is wonderful. It looks expensive in every home. Every trophy and plaque for sports achievement is walnut. Very nice.

rick240

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:20 pm »
Those are our custom 10" drivers - same as in our HT3's and SoundScape 10's.

- Jim

Would those work with a Rythmik direct-servo amp, or would they need any kind of a mod to be direct-servo?

rick240

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:40 pm »
Walnut doesn't get the WOW from most people, but it is a truly elegant look.

Walnut may not get the WOW...

...but my WOW1s got walnut   8)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:03 pm »
Walnut may not get the WOW...

...but my WOW1s got walnut   8)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

LOL - good one!

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:08 pm »
Would those work with a Rythmik direct-servo amp, or would they need any kind of a mod to be direct-servo?

This is not possible unless you use the amp without servo control.  The driver requires an extra voice coil to provide input to the servo circuitry.  So the driver needs to be designed specifically for use with a servo amp.

-  Jim