Magnepan MG1.7 vs MartinLogan Electromotions

jk@home

Magnepan MG1.7 vs MartinLogan Electromotions
« on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:44 pm »
Has anyone here compared the two? This year I am upgrading my modded MMGs, and the above speakers are in my budget limit. Whichever I choose will be placed in a roughly 12' x 15' dedicated room (across the short wall), with proper acoustic treatments, 6-7' speaker / chair equal-triangular setup at low to medium listening levels. With two ceiling IB subs to compliment.

jsm71

Re: Magnepan MG1.7 vs MartinLogan Electromotions
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2013, 06:43 pm »
I owned the 1.7s for about 2 years and my local dealer where I bought them was also a big ML dealer.  He had the Electromotions and the 1.7s on display in different rooms.  For awhile as I was upgrading other pieces I had the chance to listen to the MLs if for no other reason to convince myself that I did indeed make the right choice.  I never wavered or had buyers regret.  My listening room is 12' by 13'.

The Electromotions were among the least appealing MLs models IMO.  The stat panel was thin sounding compared to the 1.7s and I never liked the integration of the bass woofer.  That blend or lack thereof was my biggest complaint of all the MLs below the Summit model.   There is alot to like about ML speakers, but for the money I like Maggies better.

Although I did run a sub with my Maggies, they can be run pleasantly without one.  The 1.7s had a richer and fuller sound to my ears.  The Electromotions were very clean and revealing but lacked body.  For those putting priority on clarity the MLs might have appeal, but I could always tell that there were two transducers at play, the integration not quite there.  I felt I had a more cohesive blend with my subwoofer.  I knew it was helping but I couldn't hear it as a distinct source, as it should be.   

jk@home

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:52 pm »
Thanks, I was wondering whether the Electromotion was ML's answer to the 1.7, or just ML's version of the MMG, but more expensive cause it's MartinLogan. :) No offense to the ML owners here, the speakers are gorgeous, and appear to be well built.

I use a digital EQ with my system, plus the room treatments, so I could probably adjust the tonal balance somewhat. But driver integration is another issue all together. Figured they had fix that by now. :(

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2013, 09:03 pm »
I heard the 1.7's with nice Macintosh gear. Very, very sweet and did not miss any bass on Jazz. Upright bass was natural, mids beautiful. Played with lower priced Rotel gear, they sounded terrible! Screeching treble! I have heard ML speakers and did not think panels matched to bass drivers. IMHO

jk@home

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2013, 10:35 pm »
I'll be using one of my "vintage" Mondial era Aragon 8000 series amps, at least for another year or so.

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2013, 01:50 am »
I've been running the 1.7's for a few years now and with or without the aid of the Jamo subs they're a more than capable transducer.

The subs are more for reinforcement of low level listening. The 1.7's are the most transparent of any speaker system I've owned. A genuine bargain for my ears.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2013, 02:09 pm »
Good to hear, seems the 1.7s had drawn a lot of different opinions when they first came out, but the folks who actually bought and have live with them are happy.

The ML would of been easier for me, the BB down the street has a Magnolias, and I probably could of got some kind of interest free financing.

For Maggies, living in VB, Va, I will have to drive up to Gifted Listener in Centreville Va, or down to Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC. Hopefully one of those dealers participate in Magnepan's drop ship program (guess that's still available?), so just one trip will be necessary. Either way, no biggie, we'll just load up the RV and find a nice campground nearby to base camp.

rw@cn

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2013, 03:55 pm »
I don't know if they are still in business, but The Listening Room in MD sold me my 1.7s.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:00 pm »
Yeah, they're still there Saturday and Sunday; give them a buzz and they'll reserve a time slot for you.

Bardo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm »
Last year I was strongly considering the 1.7's but decided to give the EM-ESL's a try but only my local BB had the ML's. I went to listen to their demo pair and the R panel was out. The kid selecting the speakers to play told me that they sounded fine and I insisted that all the dialogue was coming from the left speaker only. Sure enough, we walked closer and the right panel was out. I was annoyed but somewhat expected he couldn't tell. They told me it would be fixed within a week and so I returned in 2 weeks, and it was not fixed. They then told me that it is hard to get a repair guy so close to Xmas (this was December of 2011 by the 2nd visit) and I was told to swing by in January. I swung by in February and the dang thing was still broke and so I gave up. I can't trust a dealer who's this bad. I don't blame ML for this at all, but BB was doing their best to not make a sale.

I did listen to the Theos in BB's other room. These retail for $4,995. They sounded pretty bad but I'm assuming this was due to a large room with them haphazardly placed, being powered with a receiver, and who knows what type of file/medium was being played. It was probably a 128kb/s mp3. This is not a fair fight from when I got to hear maggies at my local dealer with a room nicely set up for the 1.7's/3.7's and quality gear. I did not like the panel/woofer integration on the Theos and I figured if the Theos didn't sound seamless, the $2,195 EM-ESL probably didn't either. The EM-ESL xo is at 500hz so the woofer handles 42-500Hz. The Theos woofer handled 43-425Hz. But again, BB was a horrible place to do any critical listening so I wouldn't trust what I'm saying here as the speaker's fault.

I decided on the 1.7's easily because of all the above. I was already heavily leaning that way but BB helped make it a sure thing. Ultimately, I ended up getting 3.7's because I moved across the country and cashed out my vacation time to make up the difference. One thing I will say, I worked with Ivan at Audio Advice in Raleigh to get my 3.7's and he was an absolute pleasure to work with. Even though they are a 2hr drive each way for me, they have my business in the future thanks to my pleasant experience. If you go there, call ahead because this past summer they had 3.7's on display but I don't remember seeing 1.7's.

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:49 am »
Bardo - good to hear it worked out for you.   BB's business model is incongruous at best and is just a matter of time before they fall, too bad.  Speaker vendors absolutely have to provide that intimacy with their customers whether it be 3rd party dealer or internet direct. 

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2013, 01:45 am »
Not to offend, but why would anyone buy audiophile speakers from Best Buy?  Magnolia maybe...
Why would Martin Logan allow their product be sold by people who are clueless to their product?  Sorry for the rant.

Jim

jk@home

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:15 am »
Thanks, Bardo, I will check out Audio Advice when the time comes.

There is another dealer, other than BB, in this area who at one time and may still sell MLs. I bought my HT speakers (Paradigms) from them. They will let you take a loaner home for the weekend, granted you lay down the cash in advance.

k6davis

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:31 am »
I'm another happy owner of 1.7's for a couple of years. I love them. Prior to this pair, I had SMGc's, then 1.6's. While their bass is taught and can be very satisfying with the right material, pairing them with a responsive sub for just the lowest frequencies gives me a sound that is superior IMO to most of what's out there, even for many times the price. I make it a point not to hear 3.7's until I have those pennies saved.  :)

Also not to offend, but I've always vastly preferred Maggies over ML's, which I've always enjoyed looking at more than listening to. I haven't heard the Electromotions, but the next time I have a chance, I'll give them a listen to see if I feel any differently.

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:34 am »
Not to offend, but why would anyone buy audiophile speakers from Best Buy?  Magnolia maybe...
Why would Martin Logan allow their product be sold by people who are clueless to their product?  Sorry for the rant.

Jim
Hey, that's not fair. The salesman at Best Buy was very knowledgeable about the Martin Logan's, in fact, he said they beat every other TV in the place.

medium jim

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:45 am »
Hey, that's not fair. The salesman at Best Buy was very knowledgeable about the Martin Logan's, in fact, he said they beat every other TV in the place.

Bada boom :lol:

Jim

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2013, 03:11 am »
The internet has changed everything as even idiots can figure how to buy microwaves, tents, battery drills  and home theaters from Adies off the internet!

:thumb:
BTW what size was that Martin Logan TV and did you also get free drinks with that "Happy Meal"?
 8)
Tom

Jim

k6davis

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2013, 04:20 am »

Yep. Good stuff.  :lol: :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2013, 07:14 am »
I heard these ML's, I believe it had 8's or 10's in the woofer section being used to demo a big theater system displaying a live football game. They were in the center of this caverous store, effectively an outdoor environment really, and I was nearfield. Shoulda been awesome, if light on the bass.

I left just kinda..." oh, so these are Martin Logan's...." It was nothing like hearing MMG's for the first time, which I greatly preferred.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2013, 09:59 am »
I heard MLs at BB about 4 yrs ago.  I liked the bass and midrange but the highs were "fire alarm" brite!  I think they were hooked up to a cheap receiver.  I thought 3k for these?  They should sound better than this.
I ended up with MMGs that were very nice and then moved up 2 notches to the 1.7s which are fantastic!