Occasionall "pop" / "tick" sound on playback?

HPower

Occasionall "pop" / "tick" sound on playback?
« on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:38 am »
I have finally gotten all of my albums ripped onto the Mac Mini, which took a lot more time than I thought
it would… 1340 albums totaling about 880 GBs.

So far I tried both the "Audivanna Plus" and "Amarra" music players and both sound good and both work
great while using the "remote" app on my iPhone and iPad.
For DAC, I ended up going with the KingRex UD384 DAC and matching U-Power supply.
I think I prefer the Audivanna Plus music player, it seemed to have a slightly bigger sound and I like the
screen interface a bit better… but I would be happy using either.

The sound I am getting is very good out of the UD384, but I am having a slight problem.

During playback I am hearing a slight "tick" or "pop" every once in a while as the song plays.
It reminds me of how  static pop might sound on a vinyl record.
The pop is only noticeable during very quite passages of music, but this really distracts my ear as I
am enjoying the music.
I was getting this with both the  "Audivanna Plus" and "Amarra" music players.

I think I have ruled out the problem coming from the music files or the Mac.
When I play the music via the headphone jack of the Mac directly to the amplifier (no UD384)
I am not experiencing the "pop", "tick" sounds.

Perhaps there could be some settings that I do not have set correctly that maybe causing this?

Could there be a problem with the UD384 or U-Power that is giving the "pop", "tick" sounds?

If we can solve this problem I am sure I will be loving the sound of the UD384 for a long time.

Thanks in advance guys

jparkhur

Re: Occasionall "pop" / "tick" sound on playback?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:04 am »
Have you the newest version ?  Go to the site and post this in the plus forum. You will get a fast response from the code writer.  Post the response here too. A Plus

HPower

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:25 am »
Yes, it is the most current version of Audivanna Plus...
I downloaded my 2 week trial back on Feb 21/2013, so my trial did expire on this passed Monday (Feb 4th).

I do not think it is the player causing the problem, as Amarra seems to be doing the same thing.

I just registered over at the Audivanna Plus site, I will post there as soon as I am cleared to be an active member.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:29 am »
I have finally gotten all of my albums ripped onto the Mac Mini, which took a lot more time than I thought
it would… 1340 albums totaling about 880 GBs.

So far I tried both the "Audivanna Plus" and "Amarra" music players and both sound good and both work
great while using the "remote" app on my iPhone and iPad.
For DAC, I ended up going with the KingRex UD384 DAC and matching U-Power supply.
I think I prefer the Audivanna Plus music player, it seemed to have a slightly bigger sound and I like the
screen interface a bit better… but I would be happy using either.

The sound I am getting is very good out of the UD384, but I am having a slight problem.

During playback I am hearing a slight "tick" or "pop" every once in a while as the song plays.
It reminds me of how  static pop might sound on a vinyl record.
The pop is only noticeable during very quite passages of music, but this really distracts my ear as I
am enjoying the music.
I was getting this with both the  "Audivanna Plus" and "Amarra" music players.

I think I have ruled out the problem coming from the music files or the Mac.
When I play the music via the headphone jack of the Mac directly to the amplifier (no UD384)
I am not experiencing the "pop", "tick" sounds.

Perhaps there could be some settings that I do not have set correctly that maybe causing this?

Could there be a problem with the UD384 or U-Power that is giving the "pop", "tick" sounds?

If we can solve this problem I am sure I will be loving the sound of the UD384 for a long time.

Thanks in advance guys

Does it usually happen on the last track? That's the issue I had with some CDs imported as Apple Lossless. Reimporting the discs as AIF was necessary to eliminate the problem.

HPower

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2013, 12:38 pm »
No, the "pops" are occurring during the track and seems to be random and sporadic.

All of my personal CDs have been imported via iTunes as AIFF files.
My hi-res files were mostly downloaded as FLAC, and then I used MAX to convert to AIFF and import to iTunes.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:38 pm »
Have tried swapping the interconnects between your components one at a time? I wonder if there is a bad a cable somewhere.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:47 pm »
Hi HPower,

Those random ticking sounds as you have perfectly described them are almost always caused by a digital clock mismatch somewhere in the chain. There is a clock sync error somewhere and you will have to find it. Since the error goes away in the headphone jack of the Mac, the problem might be in the DAC or the USB cable connecting the DAC. Or, I suppose it's possible that you just can't hear the click in the headphone out because it won't reveal it.

Did you go to audio midi settings in all software and make sure your sample rates are synchronized for the file type you are playing?

mikeeastman

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:55 pm »
I had the same problem. I use Pure Music and Spatial programs and it turned out to be the gain on the Spatial  was set to high, if your players have a gain adjustment you might look at that.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:19 pm »
Your DAC doesn't have an optical input, so you won't be able to test the Mini's optical digital output vs. USB.  You might try a different USB port on the Mini as they all don't share the same buss.  I have seen anomalies like this go away using a different USB port on a PC, although the Mac Mini probably has better USB implementation than some questionable PC motherboards.  Just one more thing to try.

Also have you tried iTunes by itself without the Audirvana or Amarra plug-ins?

Steve

avta

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:22 pm »
As mentioned above I would suggest you look at the " Audirvana 1.4 " section on the Computeraudiophile site. ( www.computeraudiophile.com ) You can locate it at Forums>Software

PMAT

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2013, 05:12 pm »
Just to be thorough, are there any AC switches (bathroom fan, light switch) in the house that are flipped by a family member while you are listening?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:14 pm »
I'm assuming you have an external drive. Is it connected via USB or Firewire?

HPower

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm »
Hey Guys,

I did play around with the different USB ports and I think I have the DAC on the "High-Speed Bus" by it's self.
Playing through iTunes with no DAC "seems" to not produce the pops.

HDs are connected via Firewire800 and DAC is by USB.

I do have dedicated AC lines for the HiFi system, here is an outline of my complete system:

Speakers are a DIY that I built last winter that are based on a design by Bob Crites who is one of the
"go to guys" for Klipsch Heritage mods and parts.
My speaker has been dubbed the "Cornscala" because it is a combination of the bass section (ported bass)
of a Klipsch Cornwall and the larger Mid horn of a La Scala (La Scala has a folded horn bass section).
I mostly followed Bob's "Type C" plan.

The rest of the system:
Vintage… 1976-78 hk 505 integrated amp (one on left)… general listening when not wanting to turn tube amp on.
                 1974-75 hk 930 receiver (unit on right)… use it for tuner and general listening when not wanting to turn
                                                                                   tube amp on.

Tube amp: Almarro A205A MkII… Single-Ended Pentode Integrated: 2x 5W Pure Class A.
                                                      More than enough power for the Cornscalla's approx. 103-104db efficiency.

Sources: Sony ES9100 CD/SACD/DVD player.
               2012 Mac Mini, added 120 GB Solid State SATA Drive, 16MB RAM, and 2TB DH for Library and a 2nd one for back-up.
               KingRex UD384 DAC & KingRex U Power Supply (battery powered).

Power: 4 dedicated lines from a sub panel run via 10ga Romex… 2: 15amp and 2: 20amp, Hubbell 5362W Heavy Duty Grade Outlets.
            Blue Circle FX-2 PLC Thingee, 6 outlet.

Room treatment: 8: DIY 2'x4' panels (2" Corning 703) for 1st reflection and 2: DIY 2'x4' panels (4" Corning 703), 1 in each
                                front corner for bass control.

Cables: 2, Shunyata Venom 3 PCs… Grover Hoffman ICs… soon to have Mogami 3104 Speaker Cables,

shawbros3

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2013, 12:03 am »
I had this same exact problem recently.  Turned out it was the new USB cable I added that was responsible for the pops and ticks.  I didn't even care to test the cable since it was a highly respected brand.  I then emailed the vendor and he told me that the older version of their cable had dropout and noise issues with some DACs.  Try a different cable would be my suggestion, hope you find the solution soon! 

HPower

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2013, 03:52 am »
I had this same exact problem recently.  Turned out it was the new USB cable I added that was responsible for the pops and ticks.  I didn't even care to test the cable since it was a highly respected brand.  I then emailed the vendor and he told me that the older version of their cable had dropout and noise issues with some DACs.  Try a different cable would be my suggestion, hope you find the solution soon!

Thanks, I might not have even looked at the USB cable.

PM sent.

Crimson

« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2013, 05:30 am »

That's unacceptable. Indicative of a major design flaw. USB cables have a standard. Get the standard right, then add the fairy dust.

shawbros3

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2013, 06:04 am »
That's unacceptable. Indicative of a major design flaw. USB cables have a standard. Get the standard right, then add the fairy dust.

I agree, but the old version of the cable was not compatible with some newer DACs, not all DACs.  I bought the cable on the used market and despite this, the vendor quickly replaced it with the newer version, no questions asked.  That kind of customer service really is a breath of fresh air in my book.

EDS_

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2013, 02:36 pm »
OP - if you still have this problem.....and assuming your OS isn't the latest.

Try this.

Under preferences in Audirvana Plus select Audio System and then unselect Integer Mode.

I often run an AQ Dragonfly on my older white Mac book with 10.6.8 and integer mode causes pops and clicks.  Deselecting integer mode eliminates the problem instantly.   

ETA - It's long story but I've had two AQ Dragonflies both sported the popping sounds so many are running into in Integer Mode.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2013, 02:05 am by EDS_ »