Power Cord for GK-1/AKSA - Oz readers

Larry

« on: 9 Feb 2003, 05:19 am »
I am going to address the power cord for GK-1/AKSA, and other components, in my system setup. For instance, to ground or not to ground my ART DIO will have obvious effect on the external synchronization ability.

I am going to go for the shielded design of TNT-Audio http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/merlino.html. However, I am not going to use the SY model mentioned in the article. The reason is that the SY model is an steel braid armoured desgin. The thumb-up in HiFi is to keep away from steel conductors.

RS-components Australia stocks a very good plain copper screened mains cable rated 20A, better than SY and CY models. Check it out at http://www.rs-components.com.au/ and search for the stock number  379-671. About A10$ per meter and the reel length is 50 meters. (I don't find any retail shop that carries any screened mains cables in Sydney, even they don't have any interests in a special retail order.)

Obviously I don't need all of them. If you like to have some in your system, I can share with you at the net cost plus shipping to you.  

If you have interest, leave me a private message. First come, first served until it finishes.

Double Screened Mains Cable: RS-components Stock No. 379-671

bluesky

Re: Power Cord for GK-1/AKSA - Oz readers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2003, 09:23 am »
Quote from: Larry
I am going to address the power cord for GK-1/AKSA, and other components, in my system setup. For instance, to ground or not to ground my ART DIO will have obvious effect on the external synchronization ability.

I am going to go for the shielded design of TNT-Audio http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/merlino.html. However, I am not going to use the SY model mentioned in the article. The reason is that the SY model is an steel braid armoured desgin. The thumb-up in HiFi is to keep away from steel conductors.

RS-components Australia stocks a very good plain copper screened mains cable rated 20A, better than SY and CY models. Check it out at http://www.rs-components.com.au/ and search for the stock number  379-671. About A10$ per meter and the reel length is 50 meters. (I don't find any retail shop that carries any screened mains cables in Sydney, even they don't have any interests in a special retail order.)

Obviously I don't need all of them. If you like to have some in your system, I can share with you at the net cost plug shipping to you.  

If you have interest, leave me a private message. First come, first served until it finishes.

Double Screened Mains Cable: RS-components Stock No. 379-671

Larry

Count me in, I'd be very interested in a mains cable that you want to do,

my email is ianhibel@dodo.com.au just let me know when to go and I'll the readies.  Thanx,

Ian
Brisbane

SamL

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:08 am »
Do you accept order from Kiwi?
I'm keen although I am not sure how much I'll need. It will between 3-6 meter. Not sure how many amp I'll end up with.

Sam

Larry

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2003, 02:28 pm »
Quote from: SamL
Do you accept order from Kiwi?
I'm keen although I am not sure how much I'll need. It will between 3-6 meter. Not sure how many amp I'll end up with.

Sam

Hi, Sam,

It's the same distance for me to walk to the post office to send a parcel to anywhere  :) . I think in Kiwi, getting stuff from Oz is still better than from US.

Here is some home work I did which may help you to decide how to go with this.

One distributor in Sydney referred by Belden Australia quoted the Belden shielded mains cable 19364 for AU$4.92/m on reels. Belden 19364 is available at some US retailers for about US$1.75/ft, that's about AU$10/m.

The double copper screened cable here is AU$10/m on reels. So you can guess how much it would be if it's available at US retailers.

(I don't like the aluminum foil shield in Belden 19364. I think the plain copper will work better in HiFi systems. )

You can estimate the postage at www.auspost.com.au from Sydney to you and advice me which service you like to use.

I can send you whatever length you need, just not too long that I may not be able to spare. I am not in hurry to get rid of the cable. In fact, I need a lot of them. After my stereo system, I am going to upgrade my HT system as well, to an audiophile grade and prepare for multichannel music. It makes sense for me to shield all mains cable if to shield any one. One bare mains cable in the system chain may spoil all the effort of shielding others - all components in the system are somehow connected through signal/power grounding/earthing. (In my case, I find the mains quality is to be addressed at this stage. This becomes bottleneck in a system after getting other things right. I think AKSA is a good amp that can show the effects of such tweaks.) I also don't mind to keep some spare cable of such that later I can use it to bug some friend to swap a rare 2-die-4 capacitor or so . The reason I offer to share some of the cable here is that I guess some of you may be in the same situation as I was when I looked for some hard-to-find parts and wished someone could have some spare to share. It's been proved to be true now.

Leave me a private message then I will email you. I am very reluctant to put my email address on Internet (not because people like you and me). I receive over 100 emails per day in my home email inbox and the worse part is that great majority of them are spams. Cleanning the inbox in hurry could get some important emails lost in error. That's all because I did not refrain myself to publish my email address on Internet years ago. Now it's very difficult to block the spams. (Some of people behind our shoulders selling email addresses of yours and mine to spammer to make a fortune. Don't give those guys a chance.) While I wrote this, my email beeped three times and all of them are junk!

SamL

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2003, 07:11 am »
Hi Larry,

Sorry for the late replay. My all wood stereo cabinet only have one small hole for all wire to go through and currently all power and speaker cables are squeesing through there. I  am hoping the shielded mains cable can help improve the sound.

Oh yes! I'll take 8 meter which I think enough for 5 power cable. Will take the economic air to NZ. Insurance value will be $1.
My email address samshlim(at)yahoo.co.nz

Sam

Larry

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2003, 12:57 pm »
Hi, Sam,

You said you have 5 amps. I am going to cut the 8 meters into 5 pieces of the absolutely equal length from the virgin master pool which no one has ever touched without a glove and number them with 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 sequentially. They are "not only continuous crystal, . . . . they are the same continuous crystal". When you connect them, use cable number 1 for amp number 1; cable number 2 for amp number 2; cable number 3 for amp number 3 and so on.

I am not going to charge you 100 times more. I give you 50% off, $500 per meter only, which is considered a very good bargain in the market.

Service Promise: If you can prove they are not the same continuous crystal, return them for 100% refund.

Ref: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1045&start=20