Sonus Faber new Venere series

jimdgoulding

Sonus Faber new Venere series
« on: 3 Feb 2013, 01:20 am »
No reviews to my knowledge thus far but it won't be long.  Seems as tho Sonus Faber is lauching this line to compete in the mid priced market.  I am refering specifically to the 2.5 Venere floorstanding model as that is what I would buy.   No sure  :dunno: but think I read somewhere that this model will retail for $2500.00.  To see pics and read some more visit SF's site.  These look to be the whole, entire enchilada and they're beautiful to look at, tho it would be helpful if we could see a close-up of the wood veneer model.  The black model is a glossy piano black finish all the way around, I think, but the wood finish could be prettier still.     

srb

Re: Sonus Faber new Venere series
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2013, 01:55 am »
Although neither the Sonus Faber or Sumiko sites have any closeups, here are two photos with a better look at the woodgrain.

Steve

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:26 am »
$2,500 each? Pair?

Phil A

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:28 am »
Just noticed that the smaller standmount Venere 1.5 is reviewed in a magazine I subscribe to, The Audiophile Voice.  Gene Pitts of AUDIO magazine fame is the founder and publisher.  So, I read the review.  The reviewer is highly impressed with everything which he covers in detail.  I must say I like SF's direction here.  They're putting there expertise and money into this, an affordable line, rather than just introducing another mega-dollar speaker.  If I were looking for an attractive small to medium size room speaker, made more attractive by the design features and whose doing it, the 2.5 model is the first place I'd look.   

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2013, 03:59 pm »
The review only mentions gloss black and gloss white finishes. What about the wood finish pictured above? Also $2500 a pair seems a pretty good price for the towers.

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:03 pm »
I have the gloss black 2.5 and love them. The wood grain is due in the spring but I did not feel like waiting.
The wood will add ~ $500. I think they have great punch and are a pretty good value.
The wood was just shown at CES but my dealer said they had no dates.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:19 pm »
I have the gloss black 2.5 and love them. The wood grain is due in the spring but I did not feel like waiting.
The wood will add ~ $500. I think they have great punch and are a pretty good value.
The wood was just shown at CES but my dealer said they had no dates.

Did they replace your GedLee Nathan 10s, or are they in a different system? Any listening notes?

sts9fan

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:32 pm »
The GedLees are in storage for now. I don't have room for two systems. I don't think they are for sale. I plan to refinish them and maybe redo the crossover with tightly matched parts.
Right now my notes are that's sub is in storage also which is nice. Tight bass, very enjoyable speaker for $2.5k

sts9fan

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:04 pm »
Sts9-  Hi.  Might you be willing to post a review here complete with music used and a description of your room?  I don't believe that I am the only one who would appreciate it.  Thank yoo.  jim   

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2013, 03:09 pm »
Not really my specialty but I will give it a go in a few days.

BrianAbington

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2013, 05:43 am »
anybody have any thoughts on these vs. liuto monitors?

Seems price is about the same.

2gumby2

« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2013, 11:10 am »
I heard these at RMAF 2012 and thought they sounded very good. I think the Aperion Audio Versus Grand is a better value though.

JBrahms

« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2013, 04:30 am »
I listened to the 2.5 and 3.0.  I liked the 3.0. The 2.5 just didn't do it for me in the lower range.

No magic happening for me so I passed on them. 

AKSAphile

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2013, 10:28 am »

I listened to 2.5 too. Actually their visual appearance is very nice, but the sound is disappointing.

Personally I would rather go for second hand older Sonus Faber models.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2013, 01:11 pm »
TONEAudio has a review of these in this month's publication.  I have my own story about them that I shared in a AXPONA '13 discussion within this forum.  I thought the speakers were remarkable considering their price and appearance. 
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013, 02:31 pm by tf121682 »

johzel

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2013, 02:13 pm »
TONEAudio has a review of these in this month's publication.  I have my own story about them that I shared in a RMAF '12 discussion within this forum.  I thought the speakers were remarkable considering their price and appearance.

Given their price and appearance what other speakers might they be compared to???  Out of curiousity, am I correct that the Venere series has replaced the Liuto series?  How do the 3.0's stack up to the Liuto floorstander?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2013, 02:31 pm »
Most of my listening experience comes from audio shows (ie. RMAF and AXPONA) and the Venere is comparable to the best speakers I have heard, all things considered.  I listen a lot with my eyes and I have an inclination to prefer speakers from the people, and/or using the parts, I have a fondness for.  With that said, the Veneres impressed me and my girlfriend (who is slowly becoming an audiophile) so much we almost purchased the Veneres on the spot.  She was ready to bite but I have my heart set on a custom build using particular parts so I talker her out of the purchase.  I have to sell my speakers first anyway. 

The Veneres are MUSICAL speakers!  There is nothing else to say other than that.  Each track of my demo disc was a joy to listen to.  My guess is the entire system cost around $6,000 as well.  That's incredible bargain, IMO, in this hobby. 

Note: It was at AXPONA where I heard these speakers.  I will change my post above.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2013, 05:44 am »
Value wise I imagine the Liuto line made in Italy could not compete with this new Asian-made Venere line.

In their price range this Sonus faber Venere and the new Asian-sourced Revel Performa3 series seem like extremely high value.  $1700/pr Performa3 M106 6.5" stand mount driven by $10k Levinson amp was truly exceptional at CES, better even than the larger floor stander in the larger room. 

Venere and Performa3 both employ small waveguide dome.  IIRC Venere 6.5" stand mount only $1200/pr.