Philosophy Or Practicality

ZLS

Philosophy Or Practicality
« on: 2 Feb 2013, 09:26 pm »
    Louis,

I have been a customer of yours since 1985, and in that time have purchased several different model speakers from you.

The question I have for you is this;

Are you philosophically opposed to two way driver speakers, or is it that you haven't heard one yet that you believe sounds better than a single full-range driver.

I know you have built bipole/dipole speakers that utilize two full range range drivers. 

Thank You

Louis O

Re: Philosophy Or Practicality
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm »
Hi ZLS,

First thing, many thanks for your continued support and great post.

I'm not philosophically opposed to mutiway or 2-way speakers at all. There are a few ways that one can build a 2 way or multiway speaker though. I do admire the work done in the past by Altec Lansing. This style of speaker appeals to me in many ways.

I'm a single driver speaker company in complete speakers and drivers OEM and with the DIY line that I'm continually working on. This is the type of speaker and philosophy that I'm most happy with.

Going forward I do have a plans based on single driver based 2 way. I have thought about this for a very long time and now I have the resources to have a bass driver built to call my own and not use an off the shelf driver. I decided to go ahead with this speaker.

Some like to use a full range and augment with a super tweeter. This is a type of 2 way. I'm going a different route and will base the design loosely off the Altec Model 19. It will be a 4 box system with bass cabinets using the 12" driver Augmented with the RS5 in separate cabinets on top. The crossover will be set low and will be full range from this point on up. I do not want to set the cross over in the mid range. The bass cabinet will have all the electronic components and the cabinets are tied together with a jumper. I did this because you will have the ability to run the top cabinets by themselves full range if you would like. It's like having 2 speaker systems in one.

The prototype 12's are coming in very soon and I'm very excited about this driver and the above concept. As always I will do my best to keep the system at a very good price point.

Also the new Super 3 bipole is about done and I will have pictures up soon. It's now a floorstander wide baffle design and 99 dB in 4 ohm.

Thanks,
Louis

opnly bafld

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2013, 11:57 pm »
Excellent ideas and designs Louis, keep 'em coming!

Lin

ejfud

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2013, 01:23 am »
I like your 2 way idea and have even played with that style system myself. I really think a good small Fullrange can do the top end better when relieved of bass duty.

Looking forward to seeing your idea. 8)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2013, 03:24 am »
I just got caps to make one set of my preamp's outputs high-passed for my Super 3 XRS... I only have 1 sealed sub but am considering a 2nd.

I am excited to see what 12" driver you have come up with for the new system... would it be possible to buy the 12s you are making as subs to use with existing Omega speakers?

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2013, 01:58 pm »
Hi ZLS,

First thing, many thanks for your continued support and great post.

I'm not philosophically opposed to mutiway or 2-way speakers at all. There are a few ways that one can build a 2 way or multiway speaker though. I do admire the work done in the past by Altec Lansing. This style of speaker appeals to me in many ways.

I'm a single driver speaker company in complete speakers and drivers OEM and with the DIY line that I'm continually working on. This is the type of speaker and philosophy that I'm most happy with.

Going forward I do have a plans based on single driver based 2 way. I have thought about this for a very long time and now I have the resources to have a bass driver built to call my own and not use an off the shelf driver. I decided to go ahead with this speaker.

Some like to use a full range and augment with a super tweeter. This is a type of 2 way. I'm going a different route and will base the design loosely off the Altec Model 19. It will be a 4 box system with bass cabinets using the 12" driver Augmented with the RS5 in separate cabinets on top. The crossover will be set low and will be full range from this point on up. I do not want to set the cross over in the mid range. The bass cabinet will have all the electronic components and the cabinets are tied together with a jumper. I did this because you will have the ability to run the top cabinets by themselves full range if you would like. It's like having 2 speaker systems in one.

The prototype 12's are coming in very soon and I'm very excited about this driver and the above concept. As always I will do my best to keep the system at a very good price point.

Also the new Super 3 bipole is about done and I will have pictures up soon. It's now a floorstander wide baffle design and 99 dB in 4 ohm.

Thanks,
Louis

Thank you Louis for your response. 

I have an additional question;

How will this new 12" Driver differ from your existing subwoofer drivers? 

Thank You

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:06 am »
Hi Lin,

Many thanks and I have a lot of new ideas coming soon. I will have the above mentioned Bipole and the new Ferrite 8" full range for open baffle or sealed box applications.

The other DIY are almost there.

Hi ejfud,

Thanks and this system appeals to me a lot. I would rather have a crossover set in the lower region than in the midrange.

Hi DaveC113,

Great idea with the caps and the sub. You'll need another sub though. You sure can and this 12" will be available in the DIY range. I will also have a dedicated 10" and 12" subwoofer driver too. They are very similar to my 8" sub in design only larger.

Hi ZLS,

Thanks and great question.
There will be 2 different 12" drivers. The one described above is a high sensitive mid bass driver with accordion surround. The other will be a dedicated low frequency driver for subwoofer use.

Thanks,
Louis

ZLS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:09 pm »
"There will be 2 different 12" drivers. The one described above is a high sensitive mid bass driver with accordion surround. The other will be a dedicated low frequency driver for subwoofer use."

A follow up question;

My listen room is 15'x12' with 8.5' ceiling. 

If I wanted to purchase subwoofer(s) from you do I understand my options correctly in that my choices are:

1. Single 8" Subwoofer

2. Single 12" Subwoofer

3. Two 8" Subwoofers; one for each channel

4. Two 12" Subwoofers; one for each channel

5. Single Subwoofer containing 2 8" Drivers (Bipole/Dipole)

6. Two Subwoofers each containing two 8" Drivers (A total of 4 Subwoofer Drivers)

7. Single Subwoofer containing 2 12" Drivers

8. Two Subwoofers each containing two 12" Drivers. 

Louis, could you please describe the difference in sound between the various options,

and based upon my room size would you have any specific recommendation?

Thank You

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2013, 05:21 am »
Hi ZLS,

Thanks and Great post regarding the Subwoofers and the drivers.

Going forward I will be introducing the both 12" drivers.

Listed below are the choices.

Single 8" sub will be available in the Hoyt Bedford line as the Type 3

The 12" subwoofer will be available in the DIY line. I will build subwoofer projects with this driver though. I would say that dual 12's would be a lot of fun.

I'll have a special thread for projects using the DIY drivers with descriptions and pictures. Can't wait for this.

The dual 8" sub will be part of the Omega line. This is the sub that will be called deepOmega. It's a tower cabinet design with a  very small footprint.

The Omega and the Hoyt subs can be purchased as singles or in pairs.

A pair of Hoyt type 3's would be great. I'm still working on the 12" sub drivers right now and although they will produce deep bass they are also going to be tailored for speed to integrate with full rangers.

A DIY update is due and I will post pictures of the 7" full range drivers.

Thanks again,
Louis