Would upgrade to Mini Mags solve my noise problem with neighbor?

TitaniumTroy

My current speakers are Monsoon MM2000's  which are hybrids. Planer satellites and box enclosure subwoofer. My problem is that they are set up against a shared wall with my duplex condo neighbor. Even if I try to play at low levels the bass comes through and he bangs on the wall. I am going to try and relocate them on the other side of the room to see if that works.

However if not, how likely would Mini Maggies and their dipolar bass be able to keep my neighbor happy and me still being able to listen to music? I would pull them out into the room to get the best sound as Josh has mentioned. I listen to 70's pop, rock, country, and a lot of album soundtracks like Jaws, Star Wars, Gladiator, Tron etc... However not at loud levels just something to listen to while on the computer.

By the way my MG3.6's and SVS don't seem to bother him but they do not share a wall, and I keep the SVS turned down a bit.

TitaniumTroy

Anybody know what a Monsoon MM2000, runs on Agon or ebay? I might need to sell some things to help offset the upgrade.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,30177,00.asp

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
If 3.6s don't bother your neighbor I doubt the Mini Maggie System would, either.

josh358

Hmm, that's a hard one. In theory, a dipole puts 4.2 dB less sound into the room for a given on-axis response, so you'd presumably get some reduction vs. the Monsoon's sub. Another thing you could try is putting it on edge to the adjoining wall, at 90 degrees, so the wall is in the dipole null. This would put it off to your side but the ear can be surprisingly insensitive to that, the sub on my Monsoons is off to the side yet it blends well. If that doesn't work, you could try isolating the speaker from the floor or adding mass to the wall.

Another possibility would be to put it somewhere else in the room, e.g., as far behind you as the panels are in front.

Wherever you put the woofer panel, you have to make sure that it's in phase with the satellite panels. This could be a challenge if it's to the side and you're sitting close to them. They also like to have their edge up against a surface, whether a wall or the desk well.

Unlike the old hard drives I threw away today, it seems that MM-2000's still fetch good prices -- almost as much as we paid for them!

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=monsoon+mm-2000&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

JohnR

I can't help feeling that you might be better off with headphones in that situation...

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Just turn up the volume. . .then you won't hear him knocking anymore!

*Scotty*

Your neighbor is complaining about the bass from a desktop system with a subwoofer having a single 6in. active driver with two 6in passive radiators. It is unlikely that that there is significant output below 40Hz., with this fact in mind it is entirely possible that even Mini Mags may produce enough bass to aggravate your neighbor if they are placed close to the common wall.
 If you are gaming or watching movies sitting in front of your computer at this location the special effects associated with them,(ie explosions and or gunfire) may be most of the problem. Can you move the subwoofer to a location behind you and not right next to the common wall? Do you know what room in your neighbors apartment is on the other side of the wall from your speakers? If it is a bedroom you may have to use your computer for gaming or movies at a time when the bedroom is unoccupied.
  I am inclined to agree with John in thinking that you may be looking at headphones for the solution to the problem.
Scotty

rw@cn

That wall facilitates the transmission of low frequency sound/explosions to your neighbor's apartment.