Affordable OB

Borris

Affordable OB
« on: 30 Jan 2013, 09:29 pm »
Hi,
I have been lurking daily in this forum for the past year.  Finally I have decided to try this magic potion of yours.  I do need some guidance and suggestions.  My experience so far has been only with commercial box speakers and I do have number of those, my wife has the exact count.  THe bottom line is that I love music, from classical to hard rock, but mostly blues and jazz.  I have been looking at Poutrygeist OB and I am leaning towards it.  Are there any other combinations or designs that you would suggest?  Thank you

zipidachimp

Re: Affordable OB
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
3-way with enclosed woofer works for me, but I'm just a beginner.  lots of experts here, check out the gallery or google images. I love mine. using a 'fullranger' as a midrange works even better.  :P

Borris

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2013, 02:43 am »
Hi Zipidachimp, thank you for your response.  How is the sealed bass integrating with open baffle, what are you using for midrange?  I want to go full bass ob as well as well as midrange/top.  Has anybody build JBspeakerman proposal with grs woofers?  thank you

JBspeakerman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2013, 04:31 pm »
Hello Borris....

There have been several of the Ultra's built around the globe.  Get questions and comments about them on occasion.  Considering it's simplicity of design and construction, it performs better than is should with the main draw backs of size and efficiency.  It was meant to be an introduction to the OB world for those who wanted to get a taste.  With that said, nearly all the feed back has been positive.  And most who have built it appreciate the ability to easily adjust the crossover to suit personal taste and room situations.

If you have some basic wood working skills you can knock out a pair in a few hours.  Haven't priced out the component parts lately, but I think it should still be quite reasonable.  Especially if you are in the US or Canada.  The components are light enough you can do a working mock up in heavy card board!  I did just that when working out baffle dimensions, driver placement, wing depth and initial crossover.

I like to run mine with a Class A tube Push Pull 30-40 wpc integrated amp.  (EL34 and or KT88)  That is enough power for most music at reasonable levels.  There are several Chinese offerings available for reasonable prices.  And a good and very reasonable amp alternative is the Parts Express DTA-100 at 90 bucks.  Being the designer I am of course biased but assume you will take that into account.  Good luck!!

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:12 am »
Hi,
I have been lurking daily in this forum for the past year.  Finally I have decided to try this magic potion of yours.  I do need some guidance and suggestions.  My experience so far has been only with commercial box speakers and I do have number of those, my wife has the exact count.  THe bottom line is that I love music, from classical to hard rock, but mostly blues and jazz.  I have been looking at Poutrygeist OB and I am leaning towards it.  Are there any other combinations or designs that you would suggest?  Thank you

this was my first OB years ago. Haven't looked back.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project09/Project09.html

zipidachimp

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2013, 09:10 am »
boris: depends how serious you want to get into this.   I just wanted 'room-filling' sound without spending a fortune, to listen to jazz. Wow. did I ever find it!
tweeter is Hi-Vi sd1.1,  mid is dayton 4" fullrange, woofer is 10" MCM used by matevana on another thread, baffle is a modified 'Visaton No-Box'  13"x37", crossover is an off the shelf 3-way.
Sound is wonderful, but as explained, I'm no expert/authority.

one strange phenomenon I found is when I switched out a goldwood 5" sealed-back midrange in favor of the dayton fullranger, the volume went way up and bass improved. The bass improved further when I sealed it off with a shallow rectangular vent at the bottom rear and stuffed it with poly-fil.

I've got what I searched for,  but will continue to seek 'improvement'  with another project. being retired, I've got the time. Enjoy the journey!!!!!     lots of help on this forum. 8)

ps:  one important point--- my mids are wired backwards  - +, not + - ,   much improved sound.