Mod a pristine Dyna 400 or go for comparable synergy model?

yeastguy

While I'm new to this forum, I've been around 30+ years in high end. I have a number of Dynaco amps and preamps and was trying to get some feedback on my next move. All my amps are in great shape, but need some recapping.

I have a pristine Dyna 400 (With working meters) in collectors condition and wonder if there is an advantage to have AVA modify it, or use the same amount to purchase a similarly priced AVA amp.

Same question for a pristine pat 5 ? Any downside?

Feedback would be helpful since I cannot do a listening session. I also have a AVA Fet three and Super pas.

Thanks

aln

Mod the dyna
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm »
It's a classic looking amp in a great chassis.  Ask Frank how far he can mod it and then decide.  I have two dynaco 150's that Frank has modded-one is a fet-valve amp!

Regards
Al

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Re: Mod a pristine Dyna 400 or go for comparable synergy model?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:01 pm »
We cannot install our best and newest Synergy circuits in the Dyna St-400 chassis. There simply is no room for the new larger audio circuit boards or room for the high current regulator output transistors.

We can install the previous generation Insight+ circuits, but it is a very labor intensive and expensive process in this very difficult to work on mechanical layout.

I suggest you consider simply buying a new Synergy 450 amplifier and selling the old Dyna 400 to help finance the cost of the new amp.

You will end up with a much better amplifier in a modern and accessible chassis.

The only original Dyna or Hafler chassis that will accept our new Synergy amplifier circuits is the Dyna 150, which just happens to have enough chassis real estate to allow a rational mechanical fit.

I do have a new Synergy 240 built into a decent old Dyna 150 chassis (wood side panels and all) available on our used list at our web site right now for $995.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

yeastguy

Re: Mod a pristine Dyna 400 or go for comparable synergy model?
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2013, 10:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I have several Dyna pieces and the 400 was pristine...I guess I save it for a comparison amp to how much audio has improved over the 35+ years I've been involved.

Thank you Frank