BDP-2 - no Soundcard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BDP-2 - no Soundcard
« on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:03 am »
Hi Folks

I have been playing around with a version of the BDP-2 digital player which allows you to use one of the 6 USB connections to output to our new BDA-2 Asynchonous DAC.  What this does is allow you to listen to the digital files in the BDP-2 without the need for an internal sound-card.

What do you all think about the idea of offering a BDP-2 without and internal sound card which would allow for about a $500 savings.  There would be no AES/EBU out or BNC out - just USB 'IN' and 'OUT'?

james

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: BDP-2 - no Soundcard
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:14 am »
James

That would be an incredible piece of equipment, if and only if you could send Hi Rez PCM AND DSD direct to a PCM/DSD capable DAC.  If the BDP-2 could allow multiple attached hard drives with both PCM and DSD to pass directly to the DAC you've got something.

I'd buy the BDP-2 tomorrow if it could do the above.  I may buy one any how but that is my desire.  Let's say you have this capability...PCM and DSD direct via USB with an attached hard drive?  I'm unsure if the server capability would require the sound card for above.  Throw in the SOTM USB card and I'm in....!

Mark

PS:  need to talk with you about the the 7B SST2 vs the 4BSST2.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:29 am »
James

That would be an incredible piece of equipment, if and only if you could send Hi Rez PCM AND DSD direct to a PCM/DSD capable DAC.  If the BDP-2 could allow multiple attached hard drives with both PCM and DSD to pass directly to the DAC you've got something.

I'd buy the BDP-2 tomorrow if it could do the above.  I may buy one any how but that is my desire.  Let's say you have this capability...PCM and DSD direct via USB with an attached hard drive?  I'm unsure if the server capability would require the sound card for above.  Throw in the SOTM USB card and I'm in....!

Mark

PS:  need to talk with you about the the 7B SST2 vs the 4BSST2.

DSD is simply a software tweak and I believe is included in the current beta's, but I'll have to double check.

Cheers
Chris

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:38 am »
DSD is simply a software tweak and I believe is included in the current beta's, but I'll have to double check.

Cheers
Chris

With the current BDP-2, there is no USB out or am I missing something (or are you referring to a beta with the new configuration noted by James)?  I thought it was just a BNC and a Balanced digital out?  With as James suggested one of the six USB connections as an output and DSD capability, that would be a killer.  Five USB ins would be nice and allow plenty of hard drives.  I just picked up two Oyen Digital 3TB Hard Drives for my DSD DAC.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:58 am »
Chris, seriously throw the SOTM USB card for output with or without the filter and you have got something!!! 

Think about it...an attached hard drive for PCM and one for DSD with a USB out to whatever PCM/DSD capable DAC you want to buy and wow!!!!

Take the Bryston engineering knowledge for linear PS and go with it...it will sell like gang busters for those of us who want to avoid the computer/CAPs builds.

Add a better interface via I whatever and Andriod whatever and you are in!!!

Mark

gdbalp

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:49 am »
Hi,

Let's not forget a HDMI input port on the BDP-2 :thumb:....

The optical/coaxial input ports would remain?

Ciao, Luigi

srb

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:54 am »
Let's not forget a HDMI input port on the BDP-2 :thumb: ....
The optical/coaxial input ports would remain?

?

Are you referring to the BDA-2 DAC instead of the BDP-2 Player?

Steve

stereoal

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:12 am »
Getting back to James's original question, the defining feature of the BDP is that it has a sound card superior to a computer's sound card. If you remove that, what is the point of this product? Wouldn't potential customers simply opt for a much cheaper offshore-manufactured unit since it is relying on the sound card in their computer?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:27 am »
With the current BDP-2, there is no USB out or am I missing something (or are you referring to a beta with the new configuration noted by James)?  I thought it was just a BNC and a Balanced digital out?  With as James suggested one of the six USB connections as an output and DSD capability, that would be a killer.  Five USB ins would be nice and allow plenty of hard drives.  I just picked up two Oyen Digital 3TB Hard Drives for my DSD DAC.

Hi Phil

With USB it can be used in both directions - so any of the 6 USB connectors on the BDP -2 with the proper software can be utilized. Remember though that the USB out has to be connected to an asynchronous DAC like the BDA-2 USB input as the clocking etc. is then a function of the quality of the DAC.

James

weedos123

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:14 pm »
First post for me as new to the forum and hope to have some Bryston kit soon.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was a bad idea to have a "computer" as a music player with the source data coming in via usb and going out via usb as well.  All to do with the way the usb protocol works and confilicts.  So I have a mac mini as a player, the data is on a usb drive and the dac output is via firewire.

I think I read it on the Computer Audiofile forum.

Paul

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:22 pm »
?

Are you referring to the BDA-2 DAC instead of the BDP-2 Player?

Steve

Could be wrong but believe he meant the player.  That way if one had a multi-channel DSD file it could be used to pass it to a receiver or processor that can do DSD.

Vipers

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:10 pm »
Hi James,

Certainly sounds like an interesting idea as I bet most BDP's are paired with BDA's so it would make sense.

As you say you have been playing around with this, would you say that there is any difference in sound quality between the 2 options or is it just a cost saving exercise?

Thanks,

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:44 pm »
I have been playing around with a version of the BDP-2 digital player which allows you to use one of the 6 USB connections to output to our new BDA-2 Asynchonous DAC.  What this does is allow you to listen to the digital files in the BDP-2 without the need for an internal sound-card.

What do you all think about the idea of offering a BDP-2 without and internal sound card which would allow for about a $500 savings.  There would be no AES/EBU out or BNC out - just USB 'IN' and 'OUT'?

How about adding a DAC to the BDP-2? Would be even cheaper (saves an external DAC)! Then I would buy one, and I know many others that will as well.

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:54 pm »
HI James,
Always great to see you explore possibilities! :thumb:
sorry for my not getting this, but how would the bdp play the files then? Dont we need a soundcard for this?

second: why wouldnt this be possible with the current bdp1. Isnt this possible with just a software tweak? In other words, could we have both worlds in one machine, and by flipping a switch in settings let the bdp act like one or the  other?

+1 for the HDMI and DSD remarks above!

Marius

Hi Folks

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:34 pm »
HI James,
Always great to see you explore possibilities! :thumb:
sorry for my not getting this, but how would the bdp play the files then? Dont we need a soundcard for this?

second: why wouldnt this be possible with the current bdp1. Isnt this possible with just a software tweak? In other words, could we have both worlds in one machine, and by flipping a switch in settings let the bdp act like one or the  other?

+1 for the HDMI and DSD remarks above!

Marius

Hi Marius

No the asynchronous USB input on the BDP-2 does not require a sound card.  It is the same concept as when you use your Mac Laptop USB out using software like Amarra or Pure Music into the BDP2. It bypasses the sound card in the laptop.

James

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:45 pm »
I see,
But, what then would be the Bryston Plus on using my macbook directly into the the BDA? Using Audirvana + on the mac and streaming that into the BDA works wonders already? No need for a bdp as an expensive replacement/addition?

Marius

Hi Marius

No the asynchronous USB input on the BDP-2 does not require a sound card.  It is the same concept as when you use your Mac Laptop USB out using software like Amarra or Pure Music into the BDP2. It bypasses the sound card in the laptop.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:11 pm »
I see,
But, what then would be the Bryston Plus on using my macbook directly into the the BDA? Using Audirvana + on the mac and streaming that into the BDA works wonders already? No need for a bdp as an expensive replacement/addition?

Marius

Hi Marius

The BDP2 still has all the benefits it has now over a computer - no moving parts - better noise floor - quality power supply - dedicated Linux operating system - no need to have the laptop running etc.

James

Marius

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:43 pm »
Ok, i see. Thanks James for taking time to explain. Appreciate that.

For me, it would make it a tempting offer, if this new BDP would be able to do what my Mac/pc now can do. That is, play internet radio streams effortlessly, play audio/video broadcasts like digitalconcerthall.com, etc etc, and play hdmi and DSD sources without all the hassle the user has to overcome right now.

Would make it even more tempting to have the current bdp, 1 and 2 , do those things, and still be able to use its sound-card to do its normal things....

In other words, please make the bdp mature on those things it cant do right now. Don't make it an even more niche product by leaving out the sound card, and in that way make it have even more competition and consequently a hard time surviving.

Seems to me Bryston needs to pump up the software capabilities instead of limiting the hardware.

just my 2cents.
cheers!

Marius

Hi Marius

The BDP2 still has all the benefits it has now over a computer - no moving parts - better noise floor - quality power supply - dedicated Linux operating system - no need to have the laptop running etc.

James

skunark

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2013, 06:55 pm »
Hi Marius

James
The BDA2 turns into a USB Audio device which is essentially the sound card.    Sadly at this point though with USB, you will lose isolation between the BDP2 and the BDA2, as far as i'm aware there's not a single USB isolation device that truly isolates the ground.   There are several USB products that claim isolation, but the fine print always indicates the ground is not...   IMO, you might as well put both the BDA2 and the BDP2 in the same chassis for more cost savings.

I assume there's no chance of considering an i2s type interface or s/pdif w/word clock?  This way you can actually maintain the isolation.   

srb

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2013, 07:30 pm »
Sadly at this point though with USB, you will lose isolation between the BDP2 and the BDA2, as far as i'm aware there's not a single USB isolation device that truly isolates the ground.   There are several USB products that claim isolation, but the fine print always indicates the ground is not...   IMO, you might as well put both the BDA2 and the BDP2 in the same chassis for more cost savings.

But wouldn't coaxial S/PDIF and AES/EBU connections also have a non-isolated ground, requiring an optical TOSLINK connection for true isolation?

As far as combining the BDP-2 and BDA-2 in a single enclosure, I'm thinking that many people might still require additional DAC inputs to acommodate their other digital sources, and in the end there might not be enough cost savings over the separate units.

Steve