Audiophile Nearfield Bass

medium jim

Audiophile Nearfield Bass
« on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:11 pm »
Other than the Desktop Mini Magnepan system with the DWM bass, is there other audiophile nearfield systems that go deep?  I ask this as there seems to be a trend towards computer based systems and many are nearfield (desktop).  Adding pictures would also be nice!

Thanks,
Jim

medium jim

roscoeiii

Re: Audiophile Nearfield Bass
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:59 pm »
What would you consider deep in a nearfield setting?

No my question is what you consider "deep"
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm by roscoeiii »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:04 pm »
This is kind of off topic but I think desktop usage explains, in part, the resurgence in headphones.
You can reach nivrana tonight for a nominal fee!

I've got my old Stax Sigmas on right now and am perfectly content.
Stick a sub under the desk and then I'd really have something.  It could give me a foot massage with the right music.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:08 pm »
For bass particularly, I'd agree with SteveFord.

Though I will also give a shutout to the lil KEF LS50s that arrived yesterday. Very impressive bass in what I have listened to so far. Great definition in the bass in particular.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:15 pm »

+1

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:25 pm »

I think nearfield is considered to be within 5 feet.

Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:31 pm »
I think nearfield is considered to be within 5 feet.

Jim

Part 1.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2013, 08:55 pm »
Part 1.

Jerry:

All three are posted in the useful links thread...

Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2013, 09:10 pm »
Jerry:

All three are posted in the useful links thread...

Jim

Sweet; thanks, Jim.  :thumb:

Given that, what's your question?  :scratch:   Not to suggest that the OP is overly broad and ambiguous, but any well integrated system (typically) sounds great in the nearfield; in my experience, anyway. Is this strictly a desktop-system question?  :scratch:

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2013, 09:23 pm »
Purposely broad to create a discussion.  Nearfield is typically at a listening station as in the case of a studio or small room, as well as a desktop. 

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm »
Really wasn't trying to be coy or otherwise, just feel that this is a good subject for discussion as there is a lot of interest in desktop systems and for small rooms. 

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2013, 12:03 am »
Hey Jim,

Is this what you're seeking?

I can lean forward while still sitting in the chair and touch the speakers. I really like this little setup - crammed in one, little corner of a bedroom. The MMGs are wonderful in the nearfield and the bass is to die for (it's good to be close to the subs). I expected the TV in the center to be a disaster, but it isn't. It is different from a normal Maggie presentation, but it works for me.

medium jim

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2013, 12:24 am »
Hey Jim,

Is this what you're seeking?

I can lean forward while still sitting in the chair and touch the speakers. I really like this little setup - crammed in one, little corner of a bedroom. The MMGs are wonderful in the nearfield and the bass is to die for (it's good to be close to the subs). I expected the TV in the center to be a disaster, but it isn't. It is different from a normal Maggie presentation, but it works for me.

Kevin:

That is what I'm seeking.  How does it compare to the big system.  I know that you have noted that the bass in your nearfield setup is better.

Jim

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:42 pm »
Yeah, the bass is smoother - in fact, it's perfectly smooth, and the little 10", sealed subs have great 'character'. It's been the reference that I've been struggling to match with the big system. Now, the bass in the main system goes deeper with more authority and it's blended nicely, but there still exists a little added emphasis here and there - I intend to add some more traps.

The imaging is altogether different between the two systems, as you might imagine. The bedroom system doesn't have openness and spaciousness of the main rig, but it's fantastic left to right. Due (I'm guessing) to the proximity of the left wall, sometimes sounds seem to come from behind me (on my left) - spooky.