best Tube integrated amps

kinku

Re: best Tube integrated amps
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm »
No one is talking about Cayins and primalunas here :o......
 :scratch: are they so nothing compared to Rogue?

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2013, 12:52 am »
No one is talking about Cayins and primalunas here :o......
 :scratch: are they so nothing compared to Rogue?

Not at all!

I have owned Rogue Atlas Magnum amp and Prima Luma Dialogue 2 integrated.

To my ears, the PL is richer and fuller and more liquid, and has better tone, density and harmonics.  It has a beauty that just draws you in and is always unfailingly musical.  I think very highly of the PL stuff.

The Rogue is slightly drier and leaner, but has better grip, dynamics and speed, but the tone, beauty and musicality of the PL escapes it.  IMHO.

Keep in mind the Rogue has almost triple the PL's power, and contolled my 10 inch woofs better.  In my estimation, Rogue doesn't blow it away at all.  Matter of personal taste and what matches better w your speakers.  I loved my PL,  and with a more appropriate speaker, I would choose it for its  "prettier" and more emotionally engaging presentation.   That's my taste, others may differ.

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2013, 01:27 am »
A used Cary SLI-80 is a very good value. 6922, 6SN7, any 8 pin outputs, full bridge tube rectifiers, good iron. Can be had used for $1500. It only makes 50W though, so don't expect 80W ever. Sounds delicious, and well built.

vortrex

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
Having had an SLI-80, and demo'd the Line Magnetic's, I would say the LM's are definitely better.  The bass with an SLI-80 is fairly poor.  Not to mention, have you ever seen the wiring job in the Cary?  What a mess.  The LM's are new the same price as an old used SLI-80.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2013, 01:49 am »
Thanks Eric. I just wish the Tempest III, which is no longer on Rogue's website (they have a new hybrid integrated: tube pre, SS (Class D?) amp section, listed for $1295), had a tube pre-amp r/t a SS one. I would have bought one by now.

That's interesting about the Tempest.  I didn't know that but it's been a few months since I've perused the Rogue site.  That new Sphynx looks nice and is nicely priced.  It is a Class D.  The enlarged photo shows Hypex modules at the outputs.  I sure hope they don't scrap the all-tube designs in favor of Class D.  I would not be interested.

geowak

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:16 am »
FWIW

What is interesting about Line Magnetic Audio is the fact they are a Chinese company that have based the designs of their speakers and amps off the older Western Electric company of the USA. I am not sure if very many here know.. "some of the older companies that made tube gear in the states made some very good electronics". The engineers at LM Audio discovered this and brought back the older designs.

At first glance, the Chinese stuff may conjure up the thought "it's junk"... but I assure you LM Audio is not. The outside aesthetics are a matter of individual taste, but I love the sound they make! And I kinda like the basic hammertone silver finish.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:24 am »

The Jadis Orchestra is wonderful. Sounded awesome on a smaller pair of Martin Logans, although you may want more power if going rock concert loud.

Cayin offers nice sound for the money.

Rocket_Ronny

kinku

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:37 am »
what about Cayin A70T ? Any experiences?How much the used one cost?