best Tube integrated amps

kinku

best Tube integrated amps
« on: 25 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm »
I am looking around for some nice tube integrated amps with remote.  I am not into anything audacious. Best value for money is the goal.So I am for it if an integrated sounds like 6000$ one for 1500.Inviting recommendations.

rpf

Re: best Tube integrated amps
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2013, 11:56 pm »
You don't specify how much power you need.

Rogue Cronus Magnum with KT120 power tubes. 100 wpc and great sound that rivals much more costly units.

If you only need around 50wpc than a Melody or Prima Luna would also fit the bill, although I like the KT120 better than the KT88 the latter two use.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:11 am »
Amp-speaker matching is key, so knowing the speakers you are using will be very helpful in suggesting appropriate amps.

kinku

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:14 am »
Thanks.I am happy with less than 50 watts /channel. Listens to classical and instrumental music more than anything else. No rock shows at home either. So 50WPC is good.
I am using Monitor Audio Silver RS6 biwired.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:25 am »
Ah, well if that is the case, I will also recommend Rogue as a brand worth looking into. Excellent bass from Rogue amps in general, which is often an area of weakness in tube amps (made up for in large part by some glorious tube midrange in the eyes of tube fans).

And a +1 to the suggestion of KT120 output tubes. I preferred them to the KT 88s that my amp came with. 

kinku

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:36 am »
How does cayin and Primaluna compared to rogue ? I am waiting on a Cayin A50T actually. I have not heard of melody before any particular models that you recommend?

kinku

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:38 am »
Is there a Rogue audio cronus and a different cronus magnum ,or both are the same? if not what is different in cronus magnum over just cronus?

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:43 am »
The Magnum is an upgrade option. I believe it is necessary if you want to use KT120s

kinku

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:45 am »
how expensive is that upgrade? Also it does not have a remote I guess?

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:52 am »
You can find it on the Rogue webpage.

IIRC a remote is an option on all of their integrateds and pres. Maybe $100 extra?

Rogue webpage will have all this info.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:45 am »
I recommend a rebuilt Fisher 500 or Scott 272.  Howard

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:21 am »
I auditioned the Rogue Cronus Magnum with Devore Nines and was not impressed. I found it to be rather "coarse" sounding. Perhaps it needed new tubes? The dealer from whom I borrowed it, also thought that it was not very refined sounding. With different speakers, who knows? On the other hand, the Jolida amps may just be the ticket, especially at their price points!

rpf

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:46 am »
The Cronus Magnum is a couple of hundred dollars more than the base Cronus. Well worth the additional money as it completely changes the amp. They come with a remote.

There are more refined amps out there but overall the Cronus is extremely competitive. Also, all the small signal tubes in the Cronus (either version), unlike most other tube amps I've heard, have a great deal to do with the quality of the sound; so it is quite tunable.

mick wolfe

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2013, 04:59 am »
I am looking around for some nice tube integrated amps with remote.  I am not into anything audacious. Best value for money is the goal.So I am for it if an integrated sounds like 6000$ one for 1500.Inviting recommendations.

Line Magnetic 211IA@ $1695 ( EL 34 based ) or 216IA@ $1895 (KT 88 based) integrateds with remotes.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2013, 01:28 pm »
This just popped up on Agon.  I personally prefer it to the Cronus Mag.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-rogue-audio-tempest-iii-integrated-amp-2013-01-25-integrateds-44143

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jan 2013, 02:25 pm »

Line Magnetic 211IA@ $1695 ( EL 34 based ) or 216IA@ $1895 (KT 88 based) integrateds with remotes.

I agree with Mick on this one. I have heard the Rogue and Primaluna first hand, but the LM Audio 216IA sounded the best, IMHO.
Well made (heavy), PtP wiring and sounds wonderful.

rpf

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jan 2013, 02:38 pm »
This just popped up on Agon.  I personally prefer it to the Cronus Mag.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-rogue-audio-tempest-iii-integrated-amp-2013-01-25-integrateds-44143

That's a good price for a Tempest III. Eric, will KT120s fit in it?

dmwoods

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2013, 03:23 pm »
I'm a long time visitor here and have found this to be a very helpful forum.  I recently purchased a power amp from Jim Nicholls, aka JWN.  It's an EL-34 based amp that redefines my opinion of tube amps.  He builds integrated amps and without question he is a resource I would consider.  His website, jwnamplifiers.vpweb.com is full of pictures of amps he has built.  I'm convinced he can build about anything.  I cannot recommend him highly enough.  I was stunned by how reasonable his pricing is for the quality product he makes.  Vintage transformers, point-to-point wiring, self-biasing and superior circuit design.

Of the amps I've owned (Plinius, Bel Canto, Edge) the amp he built for me is my favorite by a wide margin.  When cost is factored in the value equation is substantial.  Hope this helps.

Dmwoods

Ericus Rex

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:00 pm »
That's a good price for a Tempest III. Eric, will KT120s fit in it?

I talked with Mark at Rogue about putting KT120s in my Stereo 90 (same board and chassis as Tempest II and III).  He said they have to be specially selected for size in order to fit and have the lid on.  I guess there is a slight variation in height of the tube.  Their tube prices are very reasonable so I don't think he was trying to pigeon-hole me into buying only from them (no real profit for them).  I need to get around to ordering those tubes!

Yeah, I thought that price was really good too!  And keep in mind that it has the Magnum upgrade as standard.  All Rogue products except for the Titan series (Cronus, Metis, Atlas, Triton) are Magnum versions even though they don't specifically say so on the front panel.

rpf

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:21 pm »
Thanks Eric. I just wish the Tempest III, which is no longer on Rogue's website (they have a new hybrid integrated: tube pre, SS (Class D?) amp section, listed for $1295), had a tube pre-amp r/t a SS one. I would have bought one by now.