World's first review of the AVID Ingenium turntable...

TONEPUB

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: World's first review of the AVID Ingenium turntable...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:35 am »
Interesting, how do you think it compares to a VPI Traveler?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:27 pm »
Interesting, how do you think it compares to a VPI Traveler?

From the review:
Because our test Ingenium is fitted with a tonearm costing nearly twice as much as the table itself, even cursory comparison with the Rega RP6 and VPI Traveler isn’t fair. However, it is to AVID’s credit that this table performs so well with the 309, offering the prudent enthusiast a major glimpse at what high end analog is really all about without spending five figures.  We will get a standard edition Ingenium without clamp and featuring the Pro-Ject arm to investigate further very soon.

Basically, for those vinyl enthusiasts who can afford a good $1k more than the Traveler, give this AVID creation a close look. I know I will.

Best,
Anand.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm »
Thanks Anand, I read the review but guess I missed that bit  :oops:

The VPI is $1300 with arm, the Avid $1300 without arm.

I guess that is a big difference.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm »
Looks nice, but those MDF platters give me the jitters.  VPI for me.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:16 pm »
I guess I don't think about platter material all that much.  It's well implemented here and works great.

The Traveler (which I happen to own) is a favorite of mine, and after months of listening, sounds more like a "lite" version of the Classic 1, where the Ingenium sounds more like a lite version of the AVID Volvere SP.  The VPI has a little bit warmer sound over all and the AVID more resolving.  Each will appeal to a different listener.

But I am really excited about a reasonably priced table with two arm capability.

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:12 pm »
any thoughts about how this might compare & contrast with the Clearaudio Concept.
You have heard both, amongst many others.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:04 pm »
I guess I don't think about platter material all that much.  It's well implemented here and works great.

I work with wood for a living so I know that it is an unstable material, especially when compared to aluminum, glass or acrylic.  Considering how small the groove is, I would consider any platter movement (warping, in particular) to be a bad thing.  It just seems to me MDF platters should be relegated to sub-$500 tables.  Just my humble opinion.  Avid clearly disagrees with me.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm »

The Traveler (which I happen to own) is a favorite of mine, and after months of listening, sounds more like a "lite" version of the Classic 1, where the Ingenium sounds more like a lite version of the AVID Volvere SP.  The VPI has a little bit warmer sound over all and the AVID more resolving.  Each will appeal to a different listener.

But I am really excited about a reasonably priced table with two arm capability.

I quite agree, the 2 arm capability is unheard of in this price range, and I imagine, would make vinyl more fun.

Thanks for yet another well polished review.

Best,
Anand.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 12:09 am »
Why on Earth would you need a second tone arm?

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2013, 12:20 am »

You don't...but...

1 set up for mono, 1 for stereo
1 MM and 1 MC

It's fun to mess around.

Paul

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2013, 01:28 am »
Did you read the article?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2013, 01:33 am »
Heck, I'd love to have one of those puppies for the obvious reason.

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2013, 01:36 am »
any thoughts about how this might compare & contrast with the Clearaudio Concept.
You have heard both, amongst many others.

Like the Rega and VPI, it's kind of an unfair comparison, as the Ingenium I have, has an SME 309 mounted.
So, we're essentially comparing about a $3,500 table at that point to a $1,500 table.  The Concept
is an excellent table for the price.  The AVID/SME combination has better low level detail resolution,
and more LF weight, as it should for the price increase.

But the Concept is a fantastic table for the $$, and the arm is amazing!

You don't...but...

1 MM and 1 MC

It's fun to mess around.

Paul

Agreed.  And as someone with 12 turntables, I no longer have perspective on this subject.  I have
each one of my table/arm/cart setups with a different purpose in mind now.  So, I can't be the voice
of reason here!

:)

And you certainly don't NEED a 2nd arm, you can order the Ingenium with mounting for a single arm.  I do think it's nice that AVID does offer the option for the vinyl obsessed though! 

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:16 am »
You don't...but...

1 MM and 1 MC

It's fun to mess around.

Paul

Oh got it, you can optimize the "head" to read mono better, and visa versa for stereo huh. That makes sense then.

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
Oh got it, you can optimize the "head" to read mono better, and visa versa for stereo huh. That makes sense then.

RClark,

Not getting your meaning exactly (like your use of the term "head"). So I'll spell out the advantages a bit. The advantage of dual tonearms is allowing you to easily use multiple carts, which can offer different sound qualities that may be suited to certain types of genres (MM carts and MC carts can have different strengths and weaknesses). Or for mono records, a mono cart gives you much less noise than when you use a stereo cart on a mono record (due to how the record is cut and the mono cart is constructed).

Two arms are an advantage as well because different arms themselves will also have different strengths and weaknesses, and because matching a cart to an arm is VERY important. Some carts work best with a low effective mass arm, others with a heavier arm. This will depend on the weight, construction and compliance of the cart.

Though you lose the particular differences of different arm designs, another way tonearm designers enable easy switching of carts is either removeable headshells (though some arm rigidity is lost this way), or exchangeable armwands. My Moerch DP-6 has removable armwands, and these armwands come in different weights so that you can best match your cart with the appropriate effective mass of an arm.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:06 pm »
You don't...but...

1 MM and 1 MC

It's fun to mess around.

Paul

I have a cheapo Grado on one arm for the dumpster/Goodwill records and a much more expensive ZYX for my clean and manicured LPs.  I won't play dirty or scratchy records on my ZYX.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:15 pm »
I have a cheapo Grado on one arm for the dumpster/Goodwill records and a much more expensive ZYX for my clean and manicured LPs.  I won't play dirty or scratchy records on my ZYX.

Another excellent strategy. I try to keep my ZYX in as pristine shape as possible too. Forgot that you were using a ZYX as well Ericus.

orthobiz

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:54 pm »
And don't forget that two arms just looks cool, even though it really is kinda unnecessary.
I'll bet if we did a poll most AC'ers have 0 turntables that have two arms mounted!

Paul

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2013, 09:03 pm »
All good points here, and I'm with you on having a lesser cart for the "not so great" condition records that you still love.