airport express

emess18

airport express
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 02:17 am »
Thinking of buying the new NuForce DDA-100 integrated DAC/amp ($549) that has only digital inputs.  Want to run it wireless and have read that an Airport Express with a mini optical-to-Toslink cable is very good.  Any better ideas that won't break the bank?

K Shep

Re: airport express
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2013, 01:41 am »
I'm streaming iTunes from a Mac to an Airport Express to a Parasound Z-dac with great results.  The Z-dac retails for $475.

Edit:  I completely misread your post, see what happens when I check out for months, the Nuforce looks great as an all in one for the price.  My choice would be a Peachtree product but the price is higher than the Nuforce.

emess18

Re: airport express
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2013, 03:09 pm »
Thanks for the input on the Airport Express!  What can make you crazy (see my post under NuForce - mfg circle) is that Steven Stone (TAS review) says the NuForce needs a speaker with sensitivity greater than 88dB, whereas  Sranja (6moons.com review) says that unless he can turn the volume way up (less sensitive speakers) the NuForce is lifeless.  My speakers are 94dB.  I'm inclined to go with TAS, as their reviews have followed my own tastes, and the lower-powered NuForce should be more than adequate.  And what sounds interesting:

According to NuForce, “The DDA-100 doesn’t require the typical DAC stage found in most of today’s digital audio products. Rather, its PWM power amplifier stage is modulated directly by the incoming signal, and the digital-to-analog conversion takes place at the speaker outputs. In effect, the PWM power amplifier stage operates as a power DAC.”