trying some new belt material...

vortrex

trying some new belt material...
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:48 am »
I'm tired of breaking belts left and right on the Amadeus, so I'm trying something called "Singer metallic thread".  comparing the thickness to the .004" mono filament stuff, it looks to be the same.  this thread appears to be much stronger.  the knots also tie tighter without slipping and there's much less stretch to it.  it's also more quiet as it passes through the pulley.  I've only played a few albums so far and I'm not noticing anything different yet in the sound.  I guess time will tell if this is good workaround.

Erocka2000

Re: trying some new belt material...
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:46 pm »
I've been using a new belt material as well.  100% nylon thread:  http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Sewing/Threads/Special+Purpose/Coats+and+Clark+Upholstery+Nylon.htm

It works pretty well, and also doesn't stretch like the polyester. 

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2013, 02:58 pm »
I've tried both Nylon and Silk thread. Both are stretch resistant. IMO the nylon thread had a more detailed presentation, but the silk sounded more natural and I preferred it overall.

Yes, the damned belt material made a difference. Don't ask me why, it's what I heard.

Erocka2000

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:47 pm »
Which silk thread did you use?

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm »
the thread I was using eventually frayed.  I swear too, it didn't sound quite as good as the mono filament.  I thought I might be crazy thinking this thread made a difference to the sound, but I really think it did.  I'll try the silk thread next.

SteevA

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:21 pm »
the thread I was using eventually frayed.  I swear too, it didn't sound quite as good as the mono filament.  I thought I might be crazy thinking this thread made a difference to the sound, but I really think it did.  I'll try the silk thread next.
Have you checked that there is not some sort of metal burr in the groove of your pully?  If your new thread is freying that means that some of its outer strands have failed and were possible cut by something.  Of course it could also mean that you made it too tight but with your history of belt breakage I would still be suspicious of something actually damaging them.

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2013, 08:29 pm »
I've had belts breaking on all 3 of my Amadeus', regardless if I made belt, factory belt, or Pranka belt.  after looking closer at that thread I tried, I can see the construction of it would be prone to fraying.  I'm going to try the silk next.

SteevA

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2013, 09:48 pm »
Do you change the speed very often?

I have not had any belt breakage but then I have changed speed less than a dozen times.

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm »
Never have changed the speed once, for fear of breaking the belt.

doak

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm »
2 years, many speed changes, no broken belts.
I did change the belt to the spare several months ago.
Thought the original might be getting a bit stretched.

SteevA

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2013, 12:53 am »
- Do you ever hold the platter from turning while the motor is running?
- Does it seriously slow down when cleaning the record prior to play?
- Do you stop and start the platted between records?

Since you have had the same problem with multiple machines that really only leaves the way you are using them or something about the environment.

You don't have a cat that likes to chew thread do you?

Steve

vortrex

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:04 am »
never hold the platter from moving!

no, it does not slow down when brushing.

yes, I do stop in between records.  I see no other way with this table.  with prior tables I always did the hot swap.  I listen to maybe 10 albums a week at the absolute max, 5 is probably more like it.

no pets in the house.

SteevA

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:39 am »
Mmmm.. The only significant difference I see is that I do hot swap. 

Mine does slow down while brushing but not usually by a lot.

Similar number of records per week but some weeks more.

You might have been asked this before but does any direct sunlight get to it?

vortrex

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:47 am »
no sunlight at all, it's in a darkened room.  I guess there is a stronger gravitational pull at my place which is putting more stress on the thread to get the platter up to speed.

SteevA

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2013, 07:38 am »
Maybe. 

I suppose I should expect mine to break any day.  I managed to knock it off this evening, but still no breakage.

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2013, 01:57 pm »
take a Q-tip and hold it against the motor cpapstan as it is spinning. Does the Q-tip begin fraying? If yes, then you probably have a burr of some kind on the motor capstan. If not, then apply some alcohol to the Q-tip and let it spin again to clean away any debris.

Here's a link to the silk thread. I found #3 or 4 to work best for me, but you can buy each and try them, in whatever color you want. They certainly are cheap enough.

http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-griffin-silk-bead-cord.htm

Enjoy,
Bob

Erocka2000

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2013, 03:09 pm »
Thanks for the link, Bob.  One other thing I do once in a while is clean the edge of the platter with rubbing alcohol, just to get all the oils from my fingers off it (from when I give it a little push at start-up).  It should help prevent slippage. 

I also do leave the platter spinning when changing records.

autiger

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:21 pm »
You could try some of the braided fishing line. One of its features is that it doesn't stretch and is way stronger than mono for the same diameter.

doak

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:32 pm »
Some good ideas here for WTA "drive system" maintenance.

Thanks Folks.  :thumb:

vortrex

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2013, 04:57 pm »
take a Q-tip and hold it against the motor cpapstan as it is spinning. Does the Q-tip begin fraying? If yes, then you probably have a burr of some kind on the motor capstan. If not, then apply some alcohol to the Q-tip and let it spin again to clean away any debris.

Here's a link to the silk thread. I found #3 or 4 to work best for me, but you can buy each and try them, in whatever color you want. They certainly are cheap enough.

http://www.artbeads.com/stringing-materials-griffin-silk-bead-cord.htm

Enjoy,
Bob

new belt on and did the alcohol thing, did not notice anything that would cause belts to break.

interesting thickness with that silk thread you mention, it's 5x thicker than the .004" mono filament.