Sophia 91-01

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Sophia 91-01
« Reply #60 on: 29 Mar 2013, 09:36 pm »
FWIW in the future :

For new vacuum tubes and for a new tube power amplifier too, I think it's a good idea to run it for 4 or 5 hours continuously and then turn it off for at least an hour or two. Do this for a total of ten times or until you have accumulated about 50 hours. After that, you should be able to turn it on and use it all day long. After all, that's what it is made for.

It's probably not good practice to burn in a new tube power amplifier by just turning it on and leaving it on for several days or weeks. DACs and preamps, sure, but not power amps. My 2cents.

Agreed.
Sound advice.

Docere

« Reply #61 on: 29 Mar 2013, 09:50 pm »
I’m with Ericus. At some point in this thread I had misinterpreted and thought that the manual had the clause not to leave them running > 5 hours, which I still thought was unreasonable. Now that I understand there is no mention of this requirement in the manual – and that Dwight was advised of the requirement in response to an email you sent reporting the issue (I think?) – the amps should clearly be fixed under warranty.

I can see why someone might question Dwight’s take on events: if it these events have occurred as stated, a reasonable manufacturer would be doing what they could to sort it out with minimal pain and cost to their customer. However, considering the nature of the post, the evidence provided, and what I have observed of Sophia, it seems more likely that the fault lies with Sophia in this case.

I am curious to see how this issue is resolved.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #62 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm »
Maybe these manufacturers of tube amps with small transformers could add a fan to cool down the temp.
These amps can create a negative image of tube audio to the market.

Bemopti123

« Reply #63 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm »
Maybe these manufacturers of tube amps with small transformers could add a fan to cool down the temp.
These amps can create a negative image of tube audio to the market.

There are many tube equipment manufacturers...but the biggest bread and basket for Sophia are their tubes an at this point in time, they are risking their hard won market for tubes.  I say I will run away from their tubes like the plague. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #64 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm »
There are many tube equipment manufacturers...but the biggest bread and basket for Sophia are their tubes an at this point in time, they are risking their hard won market for tubes.  I say I will run away from their tubes like the plague.
There was a stress with this brand 300B tube:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/227972-300b-tube-failure.html

happyrabbit

« Reply #65 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:30 pm »
I am going to shelf  the warranty issue for a week.  Time to move on.    I am leaning towards an 2A3 amp to replace the Sophia's.   

Dwight       

kgturner

« Reply #66 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm »
I say get a Yamamoto A-08S. You can use 45 or 2A3 in the Yamamoto though it was designed for and performs best wtih 45 tubes in my opinion. Here's one pretty cheap:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-yamamoto-a-08-set-amplifier-with-nos-tubes-rca-western-electric-2013-03-29-amplifiers-02382

Definitely buy a pair of EML 45 if you end up getting it. For the record, it's not mine. I'm just a happy owner.

Kevin T

happyrabbit

« Reply #67 on: 6 Apr 2013, 08:53 pm »
I ordered a SE34I.3 from Decware.   I should have it in 8 weeks.   Looking forward to owning a SET again  :green:

Dwight

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 6 Apr 2013, 09:28 pm »
Wow, seems you bingo this time.
It is a refined minimalist amp with all the good features: point to point silver wiring, self adjusting Bias, zero feedback, few parts in the music signal and the EL34 has a sweet tone as triode.

Bemopti123

« Reply #69 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm »
There was a stress with this brand 300B tube:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/227972-300b-tube-failure.html

I read the post.  I have NO confidence in dealing with Sophia, will stick with EM Labs, even if it is costly.  Better pay once than pay twice or three times.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 6 Apr 2013, 11:05 pm »
I read the post.  I have confidence in dealing with Sophia, will stick with EM Labs, even if it is costly.  Better pay once than pay twice or three times.   
EM labs made great tubes, metal plates are better sound than the graphite plates, but more expensive.
The EM labs site are very instrutive about his tubes.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #71 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:09 am »
This has been an interesting thread. It seems like part of the puzzle is still missing with regards to the Sophia story, but that doesn't matter anymore  . . . .  our friend Mr. rabbit has happily moved onward and upward.  :D. I can dig it! 8)

I am curious about your choice of new Decware amp, Mr. rabbit. Which version did you get? There are 5 "configurations" listed for that very cool looking amp. I noticed the specs. clearly state that 2.5mV 2.5 volts input is needed for full output of the amp, but for which version? If that's true for your particular version, and you still have the same DAC and AVC, then I think you may soon be in the market for an active pre-amp.

Wut up wit dat?

happyrabbit

« Reply #72 on: 7 Apr 2013, 05:02 pm »
Thanks Fullrange  :thumb:

Earth,

I ordered configuration 1 (amplifier only). The SE34I can use the 6N2P.  The 6N2P gain is +2db higher than the 6N1P.  This should get my CD output to 2.5V (if needed).   I could also use the TAP-X to get the 2db gain but I rather not.  It will be nice to have an input sensitivity not in the weeds. 0.5V seems a bit low to me. The SE34I tube set is ~$100.  A single Sophia 6sn7 is $100. Go Figure.  :roll:     

Dwight

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 7 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
Thanks Fullrange  :thumb:

Earth,

I ordered configuration 1 (amplifier only). The SE34I can use the 6N2P.  The 6N2P gain is +2db higher than the 6N1P.  This should get my CD output to 2.5V (if needed).   I could also use the TAP-X to get the 2db gain but I rather not.  It will be nice to have an input sensitivity not in the weeds. 0.5V seems a bit low to me. The SE34I tube set is ~$100.  A single Sophia 6sn7 is $100. Go Figure.  :roll:     

Dwight
Use 6N1P or 6N2P is a useful feature, you can choose these flavors.
You can buy 6N1P and 6N2P in Moscow at lower prices:
http://www.gstube.com/catalog/?key=6n2p&submit=Find
Although these are factory tested only, not tested before shiping.

Do you ask Decware how many hours this Decware SE34 amp can run continuously??
I wonder how many hours it can run safety??

happyrabbit

« Reply #74 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:19 pm »
24/7 per the designer.   I can't remember where I saw it, but the design is dead simple...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:25 pm »
Wow, If Steve say it can run 24hs without prob it is a very reliable amp.
Iam impressed...

I would love if Decware made a 6C33 SET to 10/15W and the usual Decware features.

happyrabbit

« Reply #76 on: 14 Apr 2013, 01:08 am »
The thought of listening to my SS AMP for 12 weeks as Decware builds my amp was too much.. :o

Decware amp canceled...  I talked to Steve @ my experience for a good half an hour.   A TRUE professional.

I brought a 45 Push-Pull from Will Vincent.  I should have it next week.

I will start a new thread upon arrival.   This thread makes me   :(

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 14 Apr 2013, 02:31 am »
Wow, a honest builder anyway, 12 weeks is the time of solder all that silver wiring by skill hands.
I would glad to wait it. :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #78 on: 14 Apr 2013, 05:06 am »

I brought a 45 Push-Pull from Will Vincent.  I should have it next week.

Hey!

Oh No! Push-Pull?  :? How much power you'll get out of them? 10-12 watts? Honestly, I rather have a pure 8 watts 300B SET than p-p 45s  :?

You know it took almost 2 weeks for my SET kit to be delivered to me and another 2 weeks for me to assembled and finished them up. It was worth waiting for me.

But than again if that amp sound good to you than that's all matter.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

orientalexpress

« Reply #79 on: 14 Apr 2013, 12:34 pm »
12 weeks is not that long of waits,It's took me to 10 weeks to build my 2-mono blocks of KT88.It's worth the wait. :thumb:good luck with the new amps,keep us update :D

lapsan