Bought Bryston Because of My Speakers However.....

CodyRed

Bought Bryston Because of My Speakers However.....
« on: 19 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm »

First, that is not my room in the pictures. The pictures were at the Festival Son and Image, Montreal 2006.

I own the Mirage OMD 28 speakers like the ones pictured here.  I decided to purchase a Bryston 14B SST because after scouring the internet looking for an amp for the speakers, I found Bryston was paired with Mirage OMD 28's at the Montreal Festival Son and Image (2006) pictured above. From what I could learn over the internet, the pairing sounded good.  I felt the 14 BSST performance with the Mirage speakers could not be too far behind the show pairing with the 7B SST.  However, the 14 BSST just is not driving the speakers with the overall weight I know the speakers can do.  I can't figure it out.  I found it interesting that Bryston demoed their 7BSST's with the Mirage OMD 28 speakers. The Mirage have a reputation of being difficult to find the amp to drive them well and especially in the low end.  I find this to be real.  I have had 2 other amps with them: Cary A306, Classe CA 200. This is my 3rd amplifier. I will eventually go to another amp if I cannot get this solved.

Any thoughts on any solutions?

My system:

Amp: Bryston 14 BSST; Power cable: VH Audio Airsine (Rhodium)
Cables: JW Audio Cryo Nova Speaker cables

IC: AZ Matrix Reference II
Preamp:Joule Electra LA 150 mk2: VH Audio Airsine
Transport: Jolida JD 100; Cable: Signal Cable Silver digital coax 1.5 meter; Power Cable: VH Audio Flavor 4
Transport: Krell Standard mk3; Cable: VH Audio Pulsar, Power Cable: Zindak FS Gold
DAC: W4S DAC2; Cable: Furutech Formula 2 USB cable 1.8 meter; Cable: JW Audio Cryo Nova Interconnects

Computer: MacBook Pro 13”

CDP: Don Allen Marantz changer; IC: AZ Matrix Ref II

SR Powercell 10 SE mkII

AC Outlet: Maestro

Speakers: Mirage OMD 28

I originally forgot to include the Rythmik F15HP-SE sub

« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 03:04 pm by CodyRed »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Bought Bryston Because of My Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 11:24 pm »
Me too. (in a different but same way)
I was certain I wanted Magnepan 3.6 speakers.
The most commonly suggested amps were Bryston.
Lucky for me a local dealer carried both, so i could get some real audition time wiith them together.
Yeah. Works for me.

werd

Re: Bought Bryston Because of My Speakers However.....
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2013, 09:47 pm »
Hello

Well the system in photo is also using a Torus. But i have feeling its not the amp. Whats the difference between the Mac book and Krell transport into the dac?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2013, 09:51 pm »
Have you played around with speaker and listening chair position?  Room treatments?  I'm not saying the amp is or is not the problem, but you've had some pretty well regarded amps that come up short to your ears.  The way the speakers fit the room is easily the most important thing in a system IMO.

One more thought...

Did you audition the speakers before buying them?   If so, what were they paired with?  Do you feel they were properly driven by that amp?  If you didn't audition them before buying, how do you truly know what they're capable of?   Just because reviewers say they're capable of some sort of magic doesn't mean they really are.  I've heard a ton of gear that got stellar reviews that didn't live up to the hype in any way.

I'm not a fanboy defending Bryston and saying it has to be everything and anything else.  I'm just saying that if you've been through a few amps, maybe it's not the amps' fault.

mkaiser

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:18 pm »
Have you played around with speaker and listening chair position?  Room treatments?  I'm not saying the amp is or is not the problem, but you've had some pretty well regarded amps that come up short to your ears.  The way the speakers fit the room is easily the most important thing in a system IMO.

One more thought...

Did you audition the speakers before buying them?   If so, what were they paired with?  Do you feel they were properly driven by that amp?  If you didn't audition them before buying, how do you truly know what they're capable of?   Just because reviewers say they're capable of some sort of magic doesn't mean they really are.  I've heard a ton of gear that got stellar reviews that didn't live up to the hype in any way.

I'm not a fanboy defending Bryston and saying it has to be everything and anything else.  I'm just saying that if you've been through a few amps, maybe it's not the amps' fault.

+1

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2013, 04:39 am »
I've actually auditioned these some years ago at a dealer in Markham, with a variety of amps including Bryston. They sounded good and competent, but as with any other speakers with small "woofers" (two  8" in this case) they cannot really get into deep bass territory. I'd add a subwoofer but if you dislike the idea then the only other choice is to ask Laundrew for a speaker recommendation.

CodyRed

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:19 pm »
Thanks for the responses. To answer some of the questions, no I did not audition the speakers first, so my bad.  I contacted users who all  had great feedback about their experience.  Many said the bass weight of these would overpower a small to medium room.  My room is a small to medium 11x18 x8.  I also know a fellow who owns an audio dealership and used to be a dealer for Mirage.  This dealer carries Revel, PMC and Paradigm so he has heard some good speakers.  At home, he has the OMD 28's and really enjoys them.

In my family room I have almost no flexibility for placement, but I have tried moving them the inches I had available. In my family room which is stuffed with furniture, flat screen etc, room treatments are out of the question. The Krell SACD Standard Mk3 into the Wyred Dac is more resolved than the Macbook Pro.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2013, 05:49 pm by CodyRed »

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:22 pm »
Don't forget that the 7B's have double the power supply capacitance of the 14B and it is in just this type of situation where you might notice a difference between the two i.e. driving a very difficult speaker as you have pointed out the Omega's are.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2013, 06:49 pm »
Don't forget that the 7B's have double the power supply capacitance of the 14B and it is in just this type of situation where you might notice a difference between the two i.e. driving a very difficult speaker as you have pointed out the Omega's are.

The current 14Bs use that new transformer that narrows the gap for capacitance. Unless you go really loud then probably should just get the 28s. A HA, there I give you a karate chop for an answer. Picking on my 14 like that.

Now back to the Mirage speakers. There might be a correlation between your complaint and the height of the woofers off the ground. It makes me wonder if you were expecting something else. You  can try 10 gauge or less speaker wire. I find the lower the gauge the bass gets seated on the floor better. But I really don't know what you were expecting so its hard to comment.

mkaiser

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2013, 07:27 pm »
I've actually auditioned these some years ago at a dealer in Markham, with a variety of amps including Bryston. They sounded good and competent, but as with any other speakers with small "woofers" (two  8" in this case) they cannot really get into deep bass territory. I'd add a subwoofer but if you dislike the idea then the only other choice is to ask Laundrew for a speaker recommendation.

Yes, Laundrew has those excellent JBL Project Arrays 1400's.  :thumb:

Mark

Chicago

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm »
Is there any way you can audition a different set of speakers at your home?  If your friend owns a shop see if he will let you try the PMC speakers that are not suppose to be as fussy about placement and see what happens with the sound.  You don't need to buy them, but it will give you a basis for comparison.

Mike

tim92gts

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm »
i suspect the Mirages are very sensitive to placement, i'd have a play around with them in extreme positionings to see how the sound varies.
You may find a compromise.
Worth a try for a few hours, and it won't cost!
Tim

drummermitchell

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:31 pm »
CodyRed,I had 7Bssts in a smaller room than yours 11X15,my speakers are Revel 50a's.
I don't know how they compare with Mirage,but when I auditioned them in a room at least 4X bigger than mine they sounded excellent without a sub.
But I know for a fact using a sub can dig alot deeper than box speakers especially one of high quality.
Anyway in my small room the Revels sounded great but I wanted more low end so I installed DD-15's much better low end.
In our bigger room 12X19 I use 28bsst's and I use to use on/off with the sub,I prefer the sub as it digs deep with tons of mid bass punch.
The sub is an 1812 :o,as I went thru DD's F-113's in here and none compare.
It really sounds like you need a sub to dig deep,I know I did as I to was using 7Bssts and now 28's.
I also think with bigger rooms the sound opens up alot more instead of being compressed with no where to go in a small room(I have had both).
The sub(s) made it for me even using my 28s in this room.
Haven't heard a box speaker that can dig deep as a high quality sub yet.
Some speakers can go pretty low but until you hear a great sub it will free up the upper end and you'll wonder how you got along without it.
My 50a's have bass but not like my sub,some prefer main speaker bottom end,I don't as it doesn't get close to authoritative bottom end as a great sub can.
Like I mentioned I to had a smaller room than yours and preferred the subs using the 7Bssts and 28's.
Hope you get her figured out as there's nothing like authoritative  bottom end with mid bass  punch .

CodyRed

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm »
Thanks Drummermitchell for all the information; I have a sub; Rythmik F15HPSE.  I'm tryint to improve the fullness and weight of sound from the speakers.

niels

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2013, 09:11 pm »
Could you post a picture of your room and how the speakers are set up?