Fostex FE163En-S enclosure recommendation

gatesgt

• Industry Participant
Fostex FE163En-S enclosure recommendation
« on: 18 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm »
Have a pair of the FE163En-S full range that need a home. Any success stories out there for a simple enclosure to build?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Fostex FE163En-S enclosure recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:17 am »
It should be a horn -- i would avoid any BR or ML-TL. A BIB would likely work well if you have corners and could live with the size. Closest actual experieance i've heard is a fellow has built both Kirishima & Vulcan for FE203eSR and has reported good redults. Smaller than the BIB, not small thou, more parts, but probably an easier build. The equivalent horn for the FE16x is Haruna & Victor. I would suspect that it would also work well in Austin A166, which is smaller but a more difficult build.

dave

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2013, 02:43 am »
Hey!

If you ask me......   go BIG my friend  8)

I agreed with Dave above, good back loaded horn or BIB if you can.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

gatesgt

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2013, 12:42 am »
Thanks gents. I was hoping for a push in the BiB direction. These will be in a basement with a drop ceiling that I can work with. I like the simplistic design of the BiB, having built other complex Fostex designs led to being somewhat disappointed in the past. I hope the BiB will be a success for this driver. Don't know if anyone on AudioCircle has ever discussed the Makizou's I made and sold with Fostex FE87's, but I should have stuck with simpler designs like those all along...

gatesgt

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm »
Dave,

I wondered if you had any good calculators for an iBiB for Fostex drivers? Your website has an iBiB with a Karlson slot that looked very intriguing. I would like to try something like this for the FE163EnS.

Greg

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:07 am »
I wondered if you had any good calculators for an iBiB for Fostex drivers? Your website has an iBiB with a Karlson slot that looked very intriguing. I would like to try something like this for the FE163EnS.

An iBIB simply inverts the vertical orientation of a regular BIB, using the floor/corner junction instead of the ceiling/corner to finish off the horn flare (and make it easier to adjust by changing the spacing of the terminus to the boundaries. The Karlson is intended to distribute the ripple inherent in a BIB more evenly so that it is less a problem. That bit is still very much experimental. Use a series of drilled holes to define the opening, start small, and you can slowly grow the size of the slot. In theory it could be as long as a 1/3rd the length of the line. If inverted the driver placement can also often be moved to the preferred on e(as usually specified it is a 2nd choice that puts the driver at a more appropriate height.

dave

gatesgt

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2013, 10:07 pm »
Dave,

All I have is the calculator for a regular BiB. Can you point me to documentation where I can find details on inverting and the 2nd driver placement option? I have read a little on the Karlson slot and would like to play with that once I get the BiB's built.

-Greg

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:12 pm »
Somewhere in the llooonnnggg BIB thread on diyAudio. Or email scott (from diy or off Wodendesign.com) about the alt offset -- .used in the iBIBk so one could work backwards from that.

I have never built one. The iBIBk is a design concept.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2013, 11:55 pm »
Have a pair of the FE163En-S full range that need a home. Any success stories out there for a simple enclosure to build?
Question: What is the minimum & max inside enclousure volume recomended by the factory??
It is a range, example 20Litres(min) til 40=Litres(max), not a single value(40 Lts.).

With this info on hand one can look for a suited project or a customized one:
Big box=more bass.
small box= less bass and more mids & treble.
Good Luck

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:05 am »
On this datasheet the EBP is huge=232, so this driver not suited to OB or sealed box:
http://www.madisound.com/pdf/FE163EnS_TS_Parameter.pdf

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer