Will a audiolab 8200CD player be a good start for digital

turnovertherecord

• rain,fog,snow,sun,known to happen on the same day
I have bp-26P
krell and turntable

Going to try digital,though that cd player and built in dac would be a good start and not break the bank

was giving cd s from my kids

all use mp3 ipods etc

I have only vinyl

Mike-48

Re: Will a audiolab 8200CD player be a good start for digital
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 09:08 am »
I haven't heard this model, but since no one else has answered, and I once had an Audiolab tuner that I liked, I thought I'd give it a shot. The couple of reviews I read of the 8200 used words like "fluidity and dynamics" and "togetherness." Those are good words in a digital review. The last thing you, a vinyl lover, would want is a CD player that is over-resolving and unpleasant.

The 8200 has won at least one award. The price seems reasonable. It has added digital inputs, which you might find yourself using someday. It comes from a good manufacturer. I say, it sounds like a decent choice. See if the dealer will let you take it home for a trial.

The last thing to say is, the quality of CDs varies even more than vinyl. Pop recordings especially have become unbearably compressed and processed in the last few years. So if your musical taste includes classical music, try to find a few classical CDs that have been recommended for sound quality, so you can judge the CD player. The first CD player you buy will be the toughest decision, in some ways, because you don't yet have a CD library whose sound you know.

Good luck, and have fun!

mrhyfy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm »
Please forgive me for starting down this slippery slope,,,could you strech the budget a little more and get an Oppo bdp-105?? It has a huge following with many rave reviews.

turnovertherecord

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2013, 01:43 am »
I would like ease of use
The oppo has two many options,buttons
The audiolab is far more user friendly at my age,I do not even own a cell phone :D
I am the proud owner of a couple hundred CD`s that where given to me by my kids they have i stuff all digital :?

Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2013, 04:17 pm »
Audiolab makes good gear and it should do the job.  I have never heard the cd player but my son uses an audio lab pre-amp with his Bryston 2b and it imparts a warm quality that serves that early generation amp well.  Before going to all Bryston I used that same 8000 pre with a late 80's/90's Carver amp and it had the same effect.

Enjoy your new cd collection.

Mike

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:17 pm »
Turnover,  One more thing to say.  If you are interested in NEW music, that is, either new pop or jazz or bluegrass or (?), or else NEW performances of classical music by young (or old) performers, you will not regret having a CD player. Vinyl can have a most engaging sound, but compared to digital downloads and CDs, there's very little new on vinyl.  (I know some audiophiles will argue with this, but really, how many times can one listen to Dark Side of the Moon?)  So by getting a CD player, you will be opening the door to a world of music.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm »
 diitto that. I have never regretted deciding to go cd. THe Bryston cd1 has reinforced that many times over  imo :thumb: :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:46 pm »
Audiolab is very good especially their latest line.

niels

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2013, 10:33 pm »
Maybe you already have a dvd or blu-ray player you can use as cd player, or you can even use your computer, just buy a little usb dac and you are ready. Cd players are obsolete in my world.

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2013, 11:01 pm »
If you are just starting to test the digital waters, I suggest dipping your feet in before jumping head first.   The Audiolab seems to be a well built unit, but at over a thousand dollars, it might be more cost effective if you try something at half or less than half of that cost.  I haven't been in the market for a CD player in a few years, but I'm sure a current production base model NAD or similar CD player would be far less expensive.  You can always upgrade after a year or two, or if digital sound is not your cup of tea, then you can sell the player later either way.   

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:11 am »
If you are just starting to test the digital waters, I suggest dipping your feet in before jumping head first.   The Audiolab seems to be a well built unit, but at over a thousand dollars, it might be more cost effective if you try something at half or less than half of that cost.  I haven't been in the market for a CD player in a few years, but I'm sure a current production base model NAD or similar CD player would be far less expensive.  You can always upgrade after a year or two, or if digital sound is not your cup of tea, then you can sell the player later either way.

Going cheaper will be easier on the wallet initially. I wonder if it will be cheaper eventually, though. In 40 years of audiophilia, I can't remember a *single* occasion when I've bought a component and a year later said to myself, "I wish I had bought a cheaper one."  Quality satisfies. 

I take that point that "digital sound" might or might not be one's cup of tea. Along those lines, it's more likely to be the right cup if it comes from a well regarded, well engineered player.

ltr317

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:47 am »
Going cheaper will be easier on the wallet initially. I wonder if it will be cheaper eventually, though. In 40 years of audiophilia, I can't remember a *single* occasion when I've bought a component and a year later said to myself, "I wish I had bought a cheaper one."  Quality satisfies. 

I take that point that "digital sound" might or might not be one's cup of tea. Along those lines, it's more likely to be the right cup if it comes from a well regarded, well engineered player.

Yes, to some extent but higher price doesn't guarantee better sound quality.  In the past twenty years, I've heard many CD players, and some of the best sounding ones didn't cost that much.  System synergy plays a large part to how an individual component sounds anyway.  At this late stage of CD player development most moderately priced models and even a few inexpensive units will provide decent, somewhat smooth digital sound.  When someone like the original poster has been listening to an analogue format for many years it doesn't make sense to spend a lot to find out if the digital domain will suit his taste.  If it does, he may want to progress to computer audio where development is at a quick pace and will eclipse CD/Redbook sound soon if it hasn't already. 

turnovertherecord

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2013, 12:47 am »
all great opinions,the reason for the cd player is also for the dac that is inside,two birds with one stone is my thinking for future up grade

Chicago

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:06 am »
Well, if the DAC is important then I would look for a used Bryston BCD-1.  It will increase the budget from $1,200 to $1,500 but you will get a great DAC and one of the best cd players ever made.  It is the same chip they use in their $2,100 highly regarded BDA-1 DAC.

Mike

bummrush

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:13 am »
Without looking on website doesn't A L has a cd player - pre amp - Dac?

mkaiser

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2013, 01:47 am »
I wouldn't go cheap on a CDP. You will want a very good impression of digital since you were all vinyl for all the years before. If you are worried about upgrading then, I would suggest going with an external DAC and use a moderate priced CDP as a transport as this way you only have to upgrade the DAC.
If you buy new or used make sure you can hear the product before you buy instead of reading someone else's observations as we all hear differently and have our own set of expectations of the same product.

Mark

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature