sbaillar

7.1 System...what rear surrounds?
« on: 24 Jun 2004, 05:07 pm »
I'm thinking of upgrading my current system to the following:
L,R RM30M
C   RM30C
SS Dipole
RS ???  626's?

How would these with multichannel music?  Is there something else that would better fit the bill (besides 2 more RM30's)??

Thanks for your input.

-sonny

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2004, 05:20 pm »
In your situation, avoiding the floorstanders, I'd probably suggest using a pair of the LRC's (matching their tweeters up with your 3 front RM30's). It is important to match the tweeter sections in the rear(s) with your fronts. This will insure a seamless soundstage.

I'm going to be running a pair of these on the sides of my theatre, mounted to my ceiling, slightly angled down toward the listening position (ribbons need to face you for you to hear a clearer representation).

-Ed

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2004, 05:46 pm »
Oh, yeah, if you're new to VMPS, also consider adding the soundcoat, FST tweeters, and megawoofer options to your speakers. And after that, you can also upgrade to TRT caps.

-Ed

John Casler

Re: 7.1 System...what rear surrounds?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2004, 06:36 pm »
Quote from: sbaillar
I'm thinking of upgrading my current system to the following:
L,R RM30M
C   RM30C
SS Dipole
RS ???  626's?

How would these with multichannel music?  Is there something else that would better fit the bill (besides 2 more RM30's)??

Thanks for your input.

-sonny

Hi Sonny,

If you are looking for the "best" set up, you would have all RM30's in a vertical configuration, equidistant from your listneing position and equidistant from the walls.

Not always is that is that set up possible, or affordable, so lets review the possibiliites for side surrounds.

For Multichannel Music you "do not" want dipolar radiation.  Bipolar is slightly better, but still not what you want for MCM.

This then leaves us with the following:

1) Another pair of RM30s (if the budget and space allows)

2) A pair of RM1s (about half the price of the RM30, but with FST the sonic signature will be the same.  Front porting allows for a closer to the wall placement if that is a factor)

3) A pair of LRC's as Ed suggests (they too are front ported and can be placed on a shelf firing down to the listening area)

4) A pair of 626Rs (stand mounted 2' away from the wall if possible is the best, but can be wall or shelf mounted angle/firing down to the listening area)

sbaillar

Re: re:
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2004, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: sbcgroup1
Oh, yeah, if you're new to VMPS, also consider adding the soundcoat, FST tweeters, and megawoofer options to your speakers. And after that, you can also upgrade to TRT caps.

-Ed

I have been admiring VMPS from afar....:)

According to the sticky price list the RM30's come with FST, soundcoat and megawoofers as standard equipment..right???

From what everyone is hearing/saying, the TRT's are a must have if you have the $$$.

-sonny

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
7.1 System...what rear surrounds?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2004, 09:40 pm »
Well the issue in my book would be are you going to watch any movies.

If NO, then John's advice is right on.

If YES, then I would still use the new dipole side surrounds and then use another two RM30 if the budget is large enough or another two direct radiating rear surround speakers. (626R, RM1 or 2)

There is much debate on this and the recording engineers mix differently for music than for movies.

IMHO opinion this is the best compromise for BOTH environments. Your mileage may vary.

-Scott