Problem: USB turn table into a USB dac and not getting any signal

WerTicus

I posted this originally in the vinyl circle but i think it is probably more relevant to be discussed here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113269.new#new

"I have an all digital system and decided to get a USB turn table to spin some old records for fun.

I have hooked up the usb output from my brand new and cheap Audio Technica LP 60 USB turn table to my trusty matrix mini i DAC.  Unfortunately the DAC sees 'no signal' on the usb input...

I hooked up the analog output from the LP60 to an art usb phono ADC and plugged that into the matrix mini i instead.  The matrix will lock onto a 44.1khz signal but I cannot hear any sound come through :(

any ideas?"

I have since figured out that the USB turntable and the USB dac are both slave devices and i require a USB host controller to talk to these things... AKA a computer.

Is there a way I can hook up this USB turn table to my USB dac?  Maybe a USB hub will act as a host controller?

I have already tried the USB input on my Pioneer BDP 150 but it does not 'see' the turn table either :(

brooklyn

I'm thinking you would need some sort of phono preamp if the turntable doesn't have one built in.

WerTicus

Yeah the turntable has a phono pre amp built into the analog input...there is a line level and phono switch on it. 
however i have no analoge input into my all digital system... hence the USB turn table choice.

brooklyn

Sounds like you need some sort of USB analog to digital converter box if you can find one.

WerTicus

close, but I figured it out :)

I need an analog to digital converter box but an optical or coax one, because the USB is still a slave device on the DAC and wont work without a computer either.

JohnR

I'm assuming that the DAC is where you do volume control, which is why you can't just plug the TT analogue out into where the DAC output currently plugs in?

scottnixon

• http://www.scott-nixon.com
You have to have a computer to receive the Turntable's usb output, then the computer feeds the dac's usb input.  Unless the turntable has a built in computer (not likely at all), you can not hook the TT straight to dac.   

WerTicus

correct john, my dac is also my volume control.

i just need to find a decent analog to digital converter but they all seem to be 16/48 limited or crazy expensive.

and ill just wear it on the chin that i didnt need to get a USB turn table in the first place :(

wakibaki

Connect DAC and TT to a computer.

Run Audacity.

Select DAC as output device. Select TT as input device.

Select Transport/Software Playthrough.

w