Tribute Transformers

h00hbt

Tribute Transformers
« on: 14 Jan 2013, 06:41 pm »
Hello

Im trying to find a source for transformers in the EU and found Tribute http://www.tribute-audio.nl , a company based in the Netherlands. Has anyone here recently dealt with them? Im interested in your experiences soundwise and the service they provide when ordering etc.

All answers are much appreciated.

Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tribute Transformers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:34 pm »
In 2011 I quoted Tribute for OPTs and was very well replayed by Pieter, seems a    
courteous person.

rhandmj

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2013, 12:12 am »
I am using Tribute amorphous core transformers and chokes (and his power transformer) on one of my amps, and they are simply awesome sonically, and flawless - mine have been in service now for almost 10 years.

You can't go wrong with these, although the price is very high, there are none better out there. But if experience still holds true, it will be a long wait from order/payment to delivery - almost a year in my case. He makes them one at a time and is always backlogged. This quality cannot be rushed.

guest82838

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2013, 02:16 pm »
Sure there is better : Monolith Magnetics (and the delivery is much, much fasterrrrrrrrrr)

I am using Tribute amorphous core transformers and chokes (and his power transformer) on one of my amps, and they are simply awesome sonically, and flawless - mine have been in service now for almost 10 years.

You can't go wrong with these, although the price is very high, there are none better out there. But if experience still holds true, it will be a long wait from order/payment to delivery - almost a year in my case. He makes them one at a time and is always backlogged. This quality cannot be rushed.

J-Pak

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm »
I have been in touch with Pieter about OPT and IT for a SET amp. He is very courteous and provides detailed information. I know a friend that uses all amorphous Tribute iron in a headphone amp and he says it is exceptional. I will be going with Tribute "finemet" nanocrystaline core OPT and IT when the time comes to build this amp.

IMO his prices are very reasonable when you look at the cost of old Tango or even Tango ISO, Audio Note, etc.

guest82838

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2013, 03:34 pm »
I have been in touch with Pieter about OPT and IT for a SET amp. He is very courteous and provides detailed information. I know a friend that uses all amorphous Tribute iron in a headphone amp and he says it is exceptional. I will be going with Tribute "finemet" nanocrystaline core OPT and IT when the time comes to build this amp.

IMO his prices are very reasonable when you look at the cost of old Tango or even Tango ISO, Audio Note, etc.

How much sense dos it make for an opt to use finemet?  Tribute dosn't use silverwire but finemet he dos? That is strange because the copper loss is still the limiting factor in his opt.

Secondly, i think Tango or Monolith Magnetics have more winding technoly at home then Tribute and they are able to give decent information about there products. Audionote sells just products that are overpriced and also without any normal product information.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2013, 06:46 pm »
SAC-Thailand is plenty of info on its site:
http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_TestOutput.html
Someone had listening this OPT??

guest82838

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2013, 11:41 am »
SAC-Thailand is plenty of info on its site:
http://www.sacthailand.com/Transformer_TestOutput.html
Someone had listening this OPT??

Yes, this is good very information specially because they used real tubes for the measurements. Unfortunatually they did not give the copper losses but only the primairy rdc. Good transformers have low losses, big frequency response and good squarewaveresponse.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm »
Yes, this is good very information specially because they used real tubes for the measurements. Unfortunatually they did not give the copper losses but only the primairy rdc. Good transformers have low losses, big frequency response and good squarewaveresponse.
A low DCR = low loss. Seems they dont use C core only EI.

guest82838

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2013, 02:03 pm »
A low DCR = low loss. Seems they dont use C core only EI.

Yes, but if they give only the primair dcr and not the secondair dcr the loss can still be high. You have to know both and if they give the loss in dB ( or % ) it is easier to compare transformers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2013, 10:53 pm »
Yes, but if they give only the primair dcr and not the secondair dcr the loss can still be high. You have to know both and if they give the loss in dB ( or % ) it is easier to compare transformers
What primary/secondary DCR values would be good for a 6C33 SET??

guest82838

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2013, 12:25 pm »
What primary/secondary DCR values would be good for a 6C33 SET??

Depends what the impedance is, specially the primary (secondary is mostly 8Ω)
if you have a impedance of 600Ω / 8Ω , primary dcr 25Ω and secondary 0,15Ω give a loss of 0,255dB which is good but not super good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2013, 10:53 am »
Depends what the impedance is, specially the primary (secondary is mostly 8Ω)
if you have a impedance of 600Ω / 8Ω , primary dcr 25Ω and secondary 0,15Ω give a loss of 0,255dB which is good but not super good.
Thanks for inform pal, I appreciated.
The Primary R I was intend was 600Ω indeed.
Best regards

guest82838

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2013, 10:42 am »
Thanks for inform pal, I appreciated.
The Primary R I was intend was 600Ω indeed.
Best regards

Did you measured your transformer? Also frequency response?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2013, 07:53 pm »
Did you measured your transformer? Also frequency response?
No, it is a cheap one.