diy build: making a set of speakers (hi/mid/low) question

Kardinaal

Hello everybody,

I'm planning on building a new planar system (the old one died on me).  Since it's not my first build, I'm looking into something more advanced / challenging.  Basically I want to do a surround system (4 hi range planars, 4 mid range planars and subwoofer (probably classical cone)).  The hi and mid range planars would be mounted in the same case (so 4 cases each containing both a hi and mid range optimised planar).

I remember the last time I was researching wire stators, I found some stuff on the internet about the physical distance between the individual wires that can be adapted depending on the range of sounds you want to get out of it.  If I remember correctly you use more wire for higher tones, less wires for lower tones.  Problem is the link I saved back then is dead, and I can't find the info anymore.  So if anyone knows about a resource for it, or a good place to find the necessary physics background to do the calculations myself, I'd love to hear about it.

Another question I've got is about the power supply/high voltage transfo part.  Would it be possible to add these components to the amp rack instead of building them into the speakers?  That way I could build really thin speakers that can be wall mounted instead of standing on the ground.  Advantages would be the cool factor of having "paintings" that produce sounds, and I would need less electronics (it should be possible to feed all 8 sets of stators from the same hi voltage supply).  Downside would be having wires running through the house carrying several 1000s of volts (they'd be in the ceiling though).  Lastly I'm not confident I could get decent sound from the planars due to less resonance (the casing has less "body").  Also I'd have to mount them a little off the walls (maybe with backlighting behind them), but not the "several feet" that most resources deem as ideal.  So I'd like your oppinions on these matters (how much do these factorsinfluence sound quality, volume is not really an issue as I'm putting 8 speakers in a room).

As far as I know, surround sound with planars is never been done as a DIY project, but maybe commercial systems exist?  If you know of any, let me know...

Thanks up front for reading this hefty post, any and all comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Kardinaal

josh358

Re: diy build: making a set of speakers (hi/mid/low) question
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2013, 07:52 pm »
Somewhere on the Web there's a spectacular photo of a stat-based surround system with the surrounds built into the wall much as you're suggesting. They're in little coves that are lit, in case someone else remembers where it is. Otherwise, if you do some searching it may show up, and from there you could contact the author.

That being said, while there are some very good in-wall or architectural systems, they aren't paper thin -- you need some room for the enclosure and fill. You can download CAD drawings of the Wisdom Audio in-walls here, they should give you an idea of the kind of depth required. There are also enclosure guidelines in the spec sheets for some planar drivers, e.g., the BG Neo series, with some recommendations on fill. You might also check out the Steinway-Lingdorf and some other thin on-wall systems; however, the ones I'm familiar with use heroic engineering (electronic cancellation in the case of the Steinway) to minimize reflections, and aren't anything like paper thin.

Of course, you are going to give up some sonic purity if you do this. On the fronts, you'll also lose the sense of depth from the reflected rear wave, and the controlled lateral dispersion of the dipole radiation pattern. One way to address the former would be to use digital reverb. That's what the rear wave is, anyway, minus the ability to fine tune it.

Fronts should be mounted flush with the wall to eliminate those early front wall reflections. Sides and rear, not critical.

You will get early sidewall reflections with this setup, so you might want to consider placing diffusers at the side wall first reflection points. The idea is to diffuse any reflection < 5ms or so to maintain the sense of space. However, they won't be worse than what you'd get from a pair of boxes in the same lateral position. Controlled directivity is another possibility, but that requires either a large curved or curved/segmented diaphragm or a large one with some kind of phased array or shading arrangement.

I'd be nervous about running high voltage wires through the wall. It's not the wires, just use something with a sufficient voltage rating and you'll be fine. But I'd be concerned about even a small chance that someone would drive a picture frame nail into one, or something like that. One possibility would be to build the transformers into the wall, which you have to open up for the speakers anyway to get the effect you want.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2013, 12:13 am »
One of the great things about stats is that you don't need separate drivers for the mids and highs or a crossover in the most ear-sensitive voice band.  One driver can project a beautifully coherent wavefront with none of the phasing problems inherent to using multiple drivers and crossovers.  I would re-think using separate panels for the mids/highs, or even segmented panels for a first time build.  If you want wider dispersion, you can either use tall thin flat panels or curved panels.  Also, a bi-amp'd hybrid design with conventional woofers providing the bass below 200Hz via an active crossover with steep slope upstream of the power amps isn't the cheapest option but it's the certainly the easiest in terms of fine tuning the sound and achieving really good bass performance.   

clang

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2013, 05:21 pm »
How about using the Magnepan DWMs as woofers? That way, you'll get a pair of all-ribbon speakers.
I've been thinking about this for months but have yet to get around doing it.

josh358

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:38 am »
How about using the Magnepan DWMs as woofers? That way, you'll get a pair of all-ribbon speakers.
I've been thinking about this for months but have yet to get around doing it.
Good idea. I think they'd integrate in a way that dynamic woofers won't.