Fix for Hirez skipping and/or rebuffering on J River

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
This was happening to me a LOT and it was driving me insane.  I finally fixed it.  Below are some things you can do, if you find it happening to you also.

Go to Tools >Options > Output Mode Settings

Set Buffer to 1.0 seconds.  Enable both flushing options.

Go to Tools >Options > Prebuffering

Set Prebuffering to 20 seconds

Go to Tools >Options > Switch Tracks

Change it to Standard (Gapped) 2s

This last change is what finally fixed the skipping and buffer stuttering, so you might give it a try first. 

mgalusha

Re: Fix for Hirez skipping and/or rebuffering on J River
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2013, 07:39 pm »
Interesting and good to know. I've never had an issue at any bit/sample rate but something to keep in mind.

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2013, 08:24 pm »
The problem really seemed to be around the fade in/fade out overlap setting between tracks that comes as the default setting.  On my poor little CAPS server I think it just crapped out trying to keep the previous track in memory while simultaneously loading up the new track for the next song.  Putting a 2 second gap between tracks finally fixed it.

mojave

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:04 pm »
Did you also try switching tracks gapless?

Since you use JRiver have you considered just using it for your active crossovers with a multi-channel DAC?

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:05 pm »
mojave, how would I do that?  I did not know that it was possible to use Jriver as a crossover????

mojave

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2013, 09:54 pm »
Go into the DSP Studio and set your Output Format to the number of channels you need.

Then in DSP Studio select either Parametric Equalizer or Parametric Equalizer 2. Then add Mix Channels and copy channel 1 to other channels. For example, you can copy channel 1 to channel 3 and use 1 for the tweeter and 3 for the woofer. Or move channel 2 to channel three and copy 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. Use 1/2 for the left speaker and 3/4 for the right speaker.

In Parametric Equalizer you can add your high pass and low pass filters to each channel, decide which slopes to use, adjust the volume of each channel, set any PEQ filters, reverse polarity for a channel, etc. You can even add a Linkwitz transform for a sealed or open baffle sub and a sub limiter. When used in conjunction with Room Correction for bass management, it is extremely powerful.

To route other computer sources through JRiver, you can use the Loopback by going to Tools > Open Live > WASAPI Loopback (you also have to setup a different audio device as the default). This allows you to use JRiver and its DSP for any computer source:  games, YouTube, etc.

If you want to experiment with different settings, just right click Playing Now and add more zones. Setup the crossovers for each zone differently and then playback using the various zones. You can also use the new ZoneSwitch feature and have music go to one zone and movies to another zone.

mojave

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm »
To measure the effect of the filters, you need to use the Loopback I mentioned before. I use REW but you should be able to with Holm Impulse, too.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:01 pm »
I have a mini-DSP that does all the active stuff for me, and also does the digital to analog conversion (and has 8 channels of analog output). 

Questions - can I use J River to displace my miniDSP entirely?  And if so, how do I get an analog output to feed into my amps? 

And can I input a digital signal into it somehow?  I have a PS3 I use for movies and Netflix/Hulu.

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2013, 03:04 am »
The problem really seemed to be around the fade in/fade out overlap setting between tracks that comes as the default setting.  On my poor little CAPS server I think it just crapped out trying to keep the previous track in memory while simultaneously loading up the new track for the next song.  Putting a 2 second gap between tracks finally fixed it.

I can see that, mine runs quite a bit more cpu and ram than the CAPS.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2013, 06:57 am »

I can see that, mine runs quite a bit more cpu and ram than the CAPS.

As I stated in the other thread where we first talked about this, my minuscule CAPs V2+ is pretty darn low power and CPU speed, and I've not had one skip, hiccup or misstep with J River running gapless and a much smaller buffer setting,  running DSD, 24/192 or any sample rate..all from a NAS.  Weird..but then again that's this hobby. :)

mojave

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2013, 09:21 pm »
I have a mini-DSP that does all the active stuff for me, and also does the digital to analog conversion (and has 8 channels of analog output). 

Questions - can I use J River to displace my miniDSP entirely?  And if so, how do I get an analog output to feed into my amps? 

And can I input a digital signal into it somehow?  I have a PS3 I use for movies and Netflix/Hulu.
I use an 8 channel asynchronous USB DAC (Steinberg UR824) and connect directly to my amps. If you are using the miniDSP as the DAC with with digital input, then I can't see any reason to switch.

You can't input digital into a computer and decode. However, I use JRiver for playback of all media including Blu-ray and it also has integrated Netflix/Hulu capability. I'm not sure if the DSP currently works with the integrated Netflix/Hulu, though.

wpope

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2013, 08:46 pm »
I'm currently trialling J River and have experienced the same problem as well.  96 kHz works fine, but anything above that has annoying skips.
I will try out your suggestions and report back.  Thanks!  :D

rbbert

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2013, 08:52 pm »
Go to Tools >Options > Switch Tracks

Change it to Standard (Gapped) 2s

This last change is what finally fixed the skipping and buffer stuttering, so you might give it a try first.

What does this do to music that is supposed to have no gap between tracks?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2013, 09:15 pm »
Gang,
I know of very few folks who have this.  Something is very wrong here.  As i said i have a weak ass minimalist Intel CAPS V2+ Atom server and send DSD and 24/192 all day long.  I have NEVER (yes never) had a hiccup, and do not have anything but default buffers..play gapless easily.  Something doesn't sit right...make sure you don't have USB drives and USB DACs?  Dunno what else to tell you. 

wpope

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:08 pm »
I'm currently trialling J River and have experienced the same problem as well.  96 kHz works fine, but anything above that has annoying skips.
I will try out your suggestions and report back.  Thanks!  :D

Unfortunately, no luck so far and it seemed to actually make the problem worse!  I was wondering if anyone out there has used foobar as well and had a similar problem as I am considering giving it a try. :?