Vcap OIMP capacitors

WireNut

Vcap OIMP capacitors
« on: 5 Jan 2013, 11:31 pm »
Hi AudioCircle members,

I’d like to hear from anyone that has experience with Vcap OIMP’s used as coupling caps in a preamp that can shed some light on they’re sound. I’d like to put four 3.0uf OIMP caps in my preamp as their physical size will fit, but due to the review below I’m having my doubts about buying any. I’ve looked into a lot of caps but really hope to use oil caps without any by-passing.
Mundorf’s SIO caps are too large to fit inside my preamp.

Here is the article:
http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Chris Venhaus ends up defending his caps stating:

"Most of the applications the OIMP's are being used for are outside the scope of your testing. They're best suited for use as larger value output coupling caps (bypassed with a 0.01 TFTF—especially in digital circuits), as a bypass for electrolytic power supply filter caps, in a cascade with smaller value TFTF's, and in loudspeaker x-overs (although TFTF tweeter bypass caps work great on all but metal domes)."

I don’t know what to make of this review.

Steve.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Vcap OIMP capacitors
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2013, 11:55 pm »
I had a preamp with them as output caps.  A friend of mine here ScottF has the same pre with them on the output but Ven Haus Teflons as the coupling caps.  THAT'S a sweet combination but you gotta wait a long time to let the Tefons break in.  Great combination of detail, speed, yet not edgy.  Warm yet not sloppy or overly 'tubey'.  As Goldilocks said "just right."

Bryan

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2013, 12:31 am »
I had a preamp with them as output caps.  A friend of mine here ScottF has the same pre with them on the output but Ven Haus Teflons as the coupling caps.  THAT'S a sweet combination but you gotta wait a long time to let the Tefons break in.  Great combination of detail, speed, yet not edgy.  Warm yet not sloppy or overly 'tubey'.  As Goldilocks said "just right."

I believe you're saying OIMP bypassed with Teflons?
That may be the direction I'm headed, not sure yet. The 400 hours of break-in is a killer.
I don't know how to break them in without installing in them into the preamp.

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2013, 04:38 am »

Any love for V-Cap OIMP capacitors  :?:

ptmconsulting

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2013, 05:12 pm »
I'va also used them as output coupling caps on my pre (5.6uF). I have Sonicap Platinums as interstage coupling caps. Maybe the combo is what does it but this is detailed and spacious and musical asl all getout.

I did try bypassing the OIMP's with .1uF Relcap RT's but didn't really hear a change.