The Path of Least Resistance

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
The Path of Least Resistance
« on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:29 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

I love AC and read many of the various articles on everything from vacuum tubes to making your own cables at home.  Heck, I just read that a "famous" reviewer in the UK just wrote a controversial article on how "thousands of audiophiles are under massive hallucinations" and so forth.  Great article to read if you're in the mood for a comedy. For one thing, it is possible that the entire editorial is a joke, but it's not April Fool's Day yet.

Although I've not posted any articles there in the past, this latest assault upon our sensibilities was a bit more than I could handle, so I contributed to the fray with a post generated by a conversation with one of my engineering partners from Delphi Aerospace.  Read the thread, it's a hoot!  The circle is Path Of Least Resistance.  Cool place.

Albert

Delacroix

Re: The Path of Least Resistance
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:49 am »
The thread to which Albert refers is here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112305.0

Brace yourself for a lengthy and ongoing battle between heat and light, LOL - but please don't bring it back here!

jneutron

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:34 pm »
For one thing, it is possible that the entire editorial is a joke, but it's not April Fool's Day yet.
Well, they are in a different time zone..
Although I've not posted any articles there in the past, this latest assault upon our sensibilities was a bit more than I could handle, so I contributed to the fray with a post generated by a conversation with one of my engineering partners from Delphi Aerospace.
You expected the response that you got, right?   Like, very little reasonable discussion. Heck, I coulda saved you time with "go away your deluded".. :green:

Troublemaker.. :thumb:

cheers, jn

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2013, 09:33 pm »
While that other thread has gone on now for 450 posts. Almost none of the posters have read the original article and most of the posts have just build on each other in the normal expected ways.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2013, 03:57 pm »
And a handful of the posters are ones who tend to show up in these cable threads sharing their anti cables-can-sound-different rhetoric with great delight, ad nauseam.

SundayNiagara

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2013, 05:21 pm »
And a handful of the posters are ones who tend to show up in these cable threads sharing their anti cables-can-sound-different rhetoric with great delight, ad nauseam.

Quoting a car salesman friend of mine:  "It's ALWAYS the price!"

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:14 pm »

You mean cables can sound different?   :lol:

jimtranr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:21 pm »
As one of the "massively hallucinated," I, too, found the thread a hoot, but also instructive in illuminating where individual posters, including some in the industry, are coming from...as well as indicating how much (or how little) actual listening factors into the evaluative equation.

rooze

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm »
The thread made for some great 'people watching'  :)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2013, 07:39 pm »
I couldn't care less about positions in the great cable war but some take it very personally proving once again that it really isn't "all about the music"....yawn

BigSwede

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2013, 09:53 pm »
...as well as indicating how much (or how little) actual listening factors into the evaluative equation.
I have satisfied myself that there is a difference in cables, even power cables, much to my chagrin, because I hate spending money on freeking cables...I would LOVE it if someone was able to model cable performance mathematically and predict said performance, including "system synergy", but I have not seen anything even close to that ideal. So listening is all we are left with. Sometimes it is fun, but A/B-ing cables annoys the crap out of me.