must see movies list/2012

stlrman

must see movies list/2012
« on: 4 Jan 2013, 10:01 pm »
I have been making a list of must see movies for the past few years. I complie my list through various news sources including The New York Times, New York Magazine and a few online sources. There are a few that I just picked because I want to see it, but most are highly reviewed. (NF=Net Flicks) Below are 52 picks...

Please feel free to add movies that you have seen or have on your radar and recommend. :D
Hope you enjoy the list, and get to see a few of these.

The Intouchables/ Jiro Dreams of Sushi(NF)/ Argo/ Marley(NF)/Neil Young Journeys/ The Perks of Being a Wallflower/ Seven Psychopaths/Cloud Atlas/The Master/ This Is Not A Film/ Elena/ Moonrise Kingdom/ Beasts of the Southern Wind/ Dark Horse/ Marina Abramovic:The Artist Present/ Snow White and The Huntsman/ The Raid-Redemptiom/ The Best Exotic Maragold Hotel/ Bernie (NF)/ Friends With Kids/ Brave/ The Cabin In The Woods/ Flight/ The Gate Keepers/ Killing Them Softly/ La Rafle/ Life of Pi/ Lincoln// Zero Dark Thirty/ The Deep Blue Sea/ Amour/ Pitch Perfect/ Oslo/ Holy Motors/ Django Unchained/ Anna Karenina/ On The Road/ Wreck It Ralph/ Django(1966)/ Searching for the Sugarman/ Footnote/ Goodbye First Love/ Neighboring Sounds/ Consuming Spirits/ The Grey/ The Impossible/ Promised Land/ Skyfall/ Silver Linings Playbook/ Rust and Bone/ The Sessions/The Hobbit/Les Miserables

Todd
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm by stlrman »

jermmd

Re: must see movies list/2012
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm »
Thanks for the list. I just filled up my Netflix Queue.

Joe M.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2013, 10:16 pm »
"Killing Them Softly"

wow - one of the worst movies ever.  I like that genre and am a pitt/liotta fan.  just horribly boring and poor acting.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:15 am »
They have "Jiro Dreams of Sushi"  on HBO Canada.  I really enjoyed it.  It is a documentary about a sushi chef who is a Japanese National treasure.  More about the Japanese character than sushi making...

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:53 am »

Todd. Thanks for the post. Much appreciated.  :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:32 pm »
My pleasure Wirenut and Joe. I will nix that movie Vortex.

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2013, 02:40 pm »
Loved, absolutely loved Pitch Perfect.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2013, 05:19 pm »
No The Hobbit?  Hmmm...I see that having kids really hurts seeing movies!  I've seen not a single one of those.  Thanks for the list, I'll see how many I can see in the next year.

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm »
Yep, I need to add the Hobbit, I am hoping to see it in 3d IMAX.
I also want to add Les Miserables.
I have seen a fair number so far.
I just saw Jiro Dreams of Sushi . It was fantastic. A must see for sushi fans.

ss397

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
Thanks for this post. I have seen a number of the titles on this list and will try to view more.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm »
Thanks for the list. I just filled up my Netflix Queue.

Joe M.

Ditto - thanks!

How about someone post a "must see" for 2013?

P.s. "Looper" was actually a pretty decent flix - much more so than the Total Recall remake in the SF genre.

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm »
NP guys.
 I took out Dogtooth, a 2010 foreign academy award nominee, as I saw this film with my wife and we were both revolted and bored. Yes, the movie had artistic elements, some beautiful camera work, and themes that might have you talking about the movie for a couple of days, but at what cost?
Hey, if you want to give the movie a shot,it's on Netflix.
So the story is about a family,the Father never lets his three kids or wife leave their house/compound. The Father and Mother seem plenty crazy, as do the grown "children". What unfolds is a very disturbing movie. Lots of incest, animal torture,violence, etc. There is no real plot, just a look into this demented family's lives. The movie is well done, but seems to have been done mostly for shock value.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2013, 06:01 pm »
NP guys.
 I took out Dogtooth, a 2010 foreign academy award nominee, as I saw this film with my wife and we were both revolted and bored. Yes, the movie had artistic elements, some beautiful camera work, and themes that might have you talking about the movie for a couple of days, but at what cost?
Hey, if you want to give the movie a shot,it's on Netflix.
So the story is about a family,the Father never lets his three kids or wife leave their house/compound. The Father and Mother seem plenty crazy, as do the grown "children". What unfolds is a very disturbing movie. Lots of incest, animal torture,violence, etc. There is no real plot, just a look into this demented family's lives. The movie is well done, but seems to have been done mostly for shock value.

I had the misfortune of watching this movie, suckered in because it was on netflix streaming, was nominated to an Oscar for Foreign Film, and won awards here and there.  I'm more patient than most with slow and/or avant-garde movies, but if you want to be "challenged" etc, trust me, there are many other movies more worth your time than this one. I'm really surprised over how so many professional reviewers were willing to give lip service to this movie.