isolating a subwoofer

charmerci

isolating a subwoofer
« on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:01 am »
My room has a thin carpet on top of a suspended wood floor. I bought a 10" subwoofer about a month ago. I thought it was very boomy so I turned the output down almost all the way down. Yesterday I bought some felt, sticky pads to place underneath the feet - two on top of each other less than 1/2 inch thick.

Well, what a change. I could turn up the output more. A lot of the boominess is gone - from my floor vibrating less! (I can easily hear the floor when I stomp my foot on it.) And it sounds like it goes deeper with more impact.

I guess the best thing would be to have sorbothane feet underneath a marble slab for a base.

Rclark

Re: isolating a subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:10 am »
Get an Epic Legend. Problem solved.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:48 am »
Carpet on a suspended floor. Yes, I know the feeling very well.

A few years ago I placed my full range speakers on a BrightStar Audio platform and the improvement in the low end was incredible. The bass got much cleaner and tighter, and bass lines were a lot easier to follow because the floor (and walls) were no longer vibrating in sympathy (and out of time) with the speakers.

You have the right idea in searching for a stand or platform of some kind, but those brightstar sandbox platforms are kind of bulky and expensive. I think there are other ways to achieve the same isolation goal that might be smarter or cheaper.

Here's one idea that won't cost you much to experiment with http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x3-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:12 pm »
Yes, basic concept: spike to rigid (concrete) floors; float over suspended (wooden) floors.  This applies to all audio equipment (especially turntables and subs).

Suspended floors (over basements/crawl spaces) can act like resonators (much worse effect than just the diaphragm of the floor itself vibrating).

And yes, the Epik sub suggestion (in-phase opposite firing woofers) should also work well to cancel vibrations.  From what I've read I really like the Epik subs (sealed, 2 opposing woofers per cabinet, reasonable price).

BTW, always use multiple subs spread around the room (at least two at opposite ends of the room) to eliminate standing waves and achieve close to flat frequency response around the room (the only good way to get flat).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:51 pm »
Yeah, but I think it's disingenuous to answer a post about a member buying a sub a month ago with a post that he should have bought a different product.  I think the responses by you and QE were much more helpful.  Perhaps later if charmerci takes your suggestion about multiple subs he can investigate the Epik.

I've been playing with the concept of of "float" over suspended floors and it seems promising.  I might try to dive in fully here soon, what are you using to suspend the speakers?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:30 pm »
   I use an Aurulex with excellent results. You may want to try firing the sub up or sideways. According to ACS  try puttting your sub off the flo on a stand 22% of your ceiling height. So 22% 0f 8ft is ? Give it a try.
    That is what I do to great affect. Simple solution try try hockey pucks not sorbothane.

charles

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:39 pm »
I'm using these under my subs in the main listening room. I wouldn't want to do without them - major improvement.

http://www.asc-home-theater.com/subtrap.htm

medium jim

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm »
Carpet on a suspended floor. Yes, I know the feeling very well.

A few years ago I placed my full range speakers on a BrightStar Audio platform and the improvement in the low end was incredible. The bass got much cleaner and tighter, and bass lines were a lot easier to follow because the floor (and walls) were no longer vibrating in sympathy (and out of time) with the speakers.

You have the right idea in searching for a stand or platform of some kind, but those brightstar sandbox platforms are kind of bulky and expensive. I think there are other ways to achieve the same isolation goal that might be smarter or cheaper.

Here's one idea that won't cost you much to experiment with http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x3-inch-Charcoal/dp/B001140OZ0

I agree about the Auralex's....make a world of difference.  Funny thing, when I suggested them in the Bass Circle, I got many not so flattering responses....nevertheless, they do what they claim they can do.

Jim

Quiet Earth

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:11 am »
Yeah, I thought that was a little weird too Jim. No big deal though.  8)

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2013, 12:57 am »
I brought this up as a general subject (no real personal details) so that many people could respond.

Personally, I move a lot and my budget is very, very limited - hence the hard felt pads. I'd rather go to the hardware store and dredge up some material to play with rather than buying something like the asc subtrap. But it's still cool to find out about these things.

I have just an inexpensive Polk subwoofer which will be sold the next time I move. I'd really love to have a place with concrete floors and a couple of Rhythmic subwoofers - but it probably won't happen.

I do like the Auralex Subdude price. I might get one.

Keep the conversation going!  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:04 am »
If possible, brace the floor under the sub with a column. Parts are available from home centers to make a 4x4 wood column with threaded jack. It's not very expensive, and very effective.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:05 am »

And yes, the Epik sub suggestion (in-phase opposite firing woofers) should also work well to cancel vibrations.  From what I've read I really like the Epik subs (sealed, 2 opposing woofers per cabinet, reasonable price).

It is just a fantastic subwoofer, it really is. If it could be sent out on tour I'd do it in a second. The audiophile world should be more aware of this marvel.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:58 am »
Personally, I move a lot and my budget is very, very limited.
I'd rather go to the hardware store...rather than buying something like the asc subtrap.
I do like the Auralex Subdude price.

Hey, I understand your point of view. All of this bass trapping stuff from ASC costs a bloody fortune (at parity with my investment in a pair of subs), but it does work. The SubDude will certainly provide the isolation you're seeking – precisely the topic of your inquiry. Without knowing what you wanted to sink into the product, I recommended one that provides other benefits as well. Bass is a beast – beastly bass kicks you know what! Best of luck in resolving your issue. You could probably DIY something along the lines of the SubDude and hang on to even more of your hard earned cash, but I agree that the Auralex product looks like a winner for a reasonable price.

I agree about the Auralex's....make a world of difference.  Funny thing, when I suggested them in the Bass Circle, I got many not so flattering responses....nevertheless, they do what they claim they can do.

I think Auralex, in general, gets a bad rap because it's viewed as 'pro gear' in audiophile circles. Repeat a point of view enough times and it becomes an accepted fact with the power to subvert reason – and  alter one's perception. Thus, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy – one with a chicken-or-the-egg paradox. Which is primary? Was it the performance or was it the association?

I had the opportunity to audition Sanders hybrids with – surprise (it was to me) – a Behringer crossover. The system sounded very good in a fairly horrible environment – I heard nothing offensive from the Behringer device. I wonder if my opinion would be different if I noticed the crossover before listening for a while? In any case, a preconception was shattered. Perhaps, some of our associations are unfounded (well, I don't doubt that many are). One of the things to which I am very much looking forward this year is testing a few more preconceptions, courtesy of Dave (PI Audio Group).

medium jim

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2013, 02:24 am »
Kevin:

I learned a long time ago to consider the idea, not the person giving it.  This can be applied to just about anything.

Jim

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:04 am »
Last night, my thought was sorbothane feet - a vibration absorbing material (I'm not sure that hockey pucks isolate vibrations enough - too dense?) on top of a dense material like marble with metal spike feet under the sb so that that the sorbothane would absorb the vibration while the marble would give a solid footing for the subwoofer's cabinet, might be be a good solution.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:21 am »
That sounds like the same cost as the sub dude to me, unless you already have that stuff laying around to try.

I'm not a big fan of sorbothane. It gets dense under heavy load and squishes down.

Do you have any foam or packing material laying around? You could try to home brew a sub dude,,,, just to see what it might be like.

This is not really my area of expertise. For 50 bucks I would get a subdued and be done with it.

medium jim

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:47 am »
That sounds like the same cost as the sub dude to me, unless you already have that stuff laying around to try.

I'm not a big fan of sorbothane. It gets dense under heavy load and squishes down.

Do you have any foam or packing material laying around? You could try to home brew a sub dude,,,, just to see what it might be like.

This is not really my area of expertise. For 50 bucks I would get a subdued and be done with it.

Truer words were never said!

Jim

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2013, 06:57 pm »

Yeah, I've got some bubble wrap and rolled up paper lying around. I'll try that!  :lol:

(Yeah, I'll probably end up with the SubDude.)

Quiet Earth

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2013, 11:49 pm »
 :thumb: awesome .....

:D

mikeeastman

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:11 pm »
Rollo, on ACS recommendation on raising sub up  22% of ceiling hight, do you know if that is from top, center or bottom of sub? If sub is up firing would that be to top of sub?

Mike