oppo 105

caper334@hotmail.com

oppo 105
« on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:33 am »
I am thinking on getting a oppo 105 player....I hear lots of good things...will it improve the sound I am currently hearing...
Sc-55
Xpa3 emotiva amp
Ps3 for listening to music
Salk supercharged towers

Love to hear what people think...I never heard of Dacs before...Is it worth the investment

Austin08

Re: oppo 105
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:27 am »
We are having some talks over here, already. You may want to check this thread out.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112089.0.

IMO, after couple months, This player offers a lot of bang for the money. I test out this player and think it is a very capable preamp even though, I still prefer the sound of my BAT preamp (I love the warm of tubes and could not live without it). The Oppo Dac is quite good and on neutral size. I hard wire to my pc and use my ipad to control music from my Jriver. Love it.
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2013, 01:09 pm by Austin08 »

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm »
Yes I read all that other thread I am just trying to figure what the dac will do for listening...I am not comparing the oppo to anything but what I use now ps3 and samsung bluray 6900 model basically I have about 1500 to spend on another upgrade and was wondering where the money would be best spent...room treatments not an option right now as I am tearing my basement apart in near future and will treat it when I do some renovations..thanks

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:11 pm »
Well, you have 30 days to test drive.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:55 pm »
do you have a tv integrated into your system?  then it's a no brainer

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:38 pm »
Yes i have a tv mixed in...I listen to more music now that I got my scst just wondering if there is a huge improvement in sound..the pioneer receiver sc-55 has excellent video it's sound improvement I am looking for

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:52 pm »
Austin,
Are you running ethernet or USB from your computer to your Oppo 105?

We are having some talks over here, already. You may want to check this thread out.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112089.0.

IMO, after couple months, This player offers a lot of bang for the money. I test out this player and think it is a very capable preamp even though, I still prefer the sound of my BAT preamp (I love the warm of tubes and could not live without it). The Oppo Dac is quite good and on neutral size. I hard wire to my pc and use my ipad to control music from my Jriver. Love it.

caper334@hotmail.com

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
Thats what my questions are...will the oppo 105 improve the sound quality I have now....is it worth the money just for the sound quality

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:39 pm »
Austin,
Are you running ethernet or USB from your computer to your Oppo 105?

Mr-Bill,

I could not use usb because my pc is w8. (Oppo is still working on the driver for it). I hard wire my pc via hdmi and digital coaxial to the Oppo. Both work great but the coaxial connection is more reliable. 

glangford

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2013, 11:00 am »
I think you'll like the 105. I have the 95 with the same DACs and I really like it. Make sure you use all analog connections or you lose any real advantage to it and could thus settle for the 103 at less than half the cost.

On another note, you can still get the 95 new and refurb at some savings. Check to see if you need some of the new features of the 105.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:04 pm »
I used a BDP-93 (as I recall) for a couple of years in my home theater and was quite satisfied with it.  So I had no real need to upgrade.

But when I heard about the DAC capabilities of the 105, I had to check it out.  I wanted to test the DAC to determine if it was a viable option for playing files up to bit rates of 24/192 from our StreamPlayer.  It works flawlessly in this application with no special drivers required (none required for a MAC either). 

The BDP-105 is an impressive piece of engineering,  It is certainly not the the lowest cost player on the market. But you get a great player that can handle just about anything you throw at it AND you get a great DAC in the bargain.  Over all, I am quite impressed.  (I also added the Roku stick which expands streaming options even more.) 

- Jim

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2013, 04:35 pm »
I used a BDP-93 (as I recall) for a couple of years in my home theater and was quite satisfied with it.  So I had no real need to upgrade.

But when I heard about the DAC capabilities of the 105, I had to check it out.  I wanted to test the DAC to determine if it was a viable option for playing files up to bit rates of 24/192 from our StreamPlayer.  It works flawlessly in this application with no special drivers required (none required for a MAC either). 

The BDP-105 is an impressive piece of engineering,  It is certainly not the the lowest cost player on the market. But you get a great player that can handle just about anything you throw at it AND you get a great DAC in the bargain.  Over all, I am quite impressed.  (I also added the Roku stick which expands streaming options even more.) 

- Jim

Jim,
Are you using the asynch dac with your Streamplayer?
How is the quality compared to your Wavelength dac?

Gzerro

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2013, 06:04 pm »
I think you'll like the 105. I have the 95 with the same DACs and I really like it. Make sure you use all analog connections or you lose any real advantage to it and could thus settle for the 103 at less than half the cost.

This is a very important point to consider.

Be aware that if you want to take advantage of the DACs in the 105 by using the analog outs, you will lose any ability to apply room correction using your receiver, as this will cause your receiver to do another ADA conversion to apply room corrections and bass management to the subs (if you have subs). I am not familiar with Pioneer receivers, but you will need to use a "pure analog" preamp mode and no bass management to avoid this problem.

Depending on your room, losing the room correction and bass management may be worse than the benefits gained by the better DAC. You may want to try disabling all of those features and see what you think.

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2013, 09:46 pm »
Jim,
Are you using the asynch dac with your Streamplayer?

If you mean the async dac in the Oppo, yes.  (Or perhaps I am not understanding the question.)  In this particular application, I am using the USB input to the 105's DAC and the stereo analog outputs into my preamp.

How is the quality compared to your Wavelength dac?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that yet.  The Wavelength DAC is used in our shop and the Oppo is in my home theater.  I will have to pack it up and hall it to the shop to make a direct comparison.  I just have to find the time to do that.  It's on my "to-do" list.

- Jim
[/quote]

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2013, 03:10 am »
This is a very important point to consider.

Be aware that if you want to take advantage of the DACs in the 105 by using the analog outs, you will lose any ability to apply room correction using your receiver, as this will cause your receiver to do another ADA conversion to apply room corrections and bass management to the subs (if you have subs). I am not familiar with Pioneer receivers, but you will need to use a "pure analog" preamp mode and no bass management to avoid this problem.

Depending on your room, losing the room correction and bass management may be worse than the benefits gained by the better DAC. You may want to try disabling all of those features and see what you think.

I haven't thought this through, but can you use the analog for a stereo application and HDMI for a surround application through the 105 without wiring and unwiring each time?  This would be ideal for those with dual purpose systems.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
I haven't thought this through, but can you use the analog for a stereo application and HDMI for a surround application through the 105 without wiring and unwiring each time?  This would be ideal for those with dual purpose systems.

Yes.

"If your audio system offers only stereo audio inputs, or if you would like to connect a dedicated stereo audio system in addition to the surround audio system which is already connected to the HDMI, coaxial or optical output, you can connect the dedicated stereo audio system to the STEREO AUDIO OUT terminals of the player."

Oppo BDP-105 User Manual - pg. 16

Steve

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2013, 10:15 pm »

That is what I am doing right now. Hornestly, I rarely need my subs on 2 channel.

signature8

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm »
Has anyone compared the sound quality of Oppo 95 vs Oppo 105?

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2013, 01:59 pm »
Has anyone compared the sound quality of Oppo 95 vs Oppo 105?

Yes.  In stock form, the 105 is a step up from the 95 sonically.  In fact, truth be told, the 105 in multi channel mode sounds as good (or maybe even slightly better) than the Modwright Oppo 83SE it replaced.

Unless one wants to take advantage of the two channel tube upgrade, the 105 is "good enough" to be left alone, and enjoy as is.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:28 pm »

Yes.

"If your audio system offers only stereo audio inputs, or if you would like to connect a dedicated stereo audio system in addition to the surround audio system which is already connected to the HDMI, coaxial or optical output, you can connect the dedicated stereo audio system to the STEREO AUDIO OUT terminals of the player."

Oppo BDP-105 User Manual - pg. 16

Steve

Fantasmic.  I am sure my next system will be a combined system and being able to have surrounds and subs with movies and then get the dac-advantage in stereo will be the shiznit.