What should I know to buy a used BDP-1 or BDP-2?

Mike-48

What should I know to buy a used BDP-1 or BDP-2?
« on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:43 pm »
I am interested in a Bryston digital player. As I'm retired and not rich, I am thinking of buying used. My main interest is in streaming audio, not in using a thumb drive.  I would use a UPnP server on a PC and a UPnP control-point app on an Android phone.

Are all samples of the BDP-1 the same?  Or have there been production changes, etc., I should look out for when entering the used market?

I am interested in both CD-quality and high-resolution music.  Would I be better of to wait and get a BDP-2?  I notice it has more memory than the BDP-1.  Or would the BDP-1 do everything I need?

One more note:  True gapless playback when streaming is critical.

Thanks, all!

Stu Pitt

Re: What should I know to buy a used BDP-1 or BDP-2?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2013, 10:14 pm »
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty due the BDP-1 doesn't do wireless streaming.  Not sure about Ethernet.  From what I hear, the BDP-2 does wireless.

Something I usually do when contemplating buying stuff like this download the owner's manual so I know the features, what's needed, and get a sense of how it'll operate.  People here can answer questions, but the manual will give you more answers than questions you may have.  Of course, other questions will probable arise after going over the manual  :lol:

Mike-48

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2013, 11:00 pm »
Something I usually do when contemplating buying stuff like this download the owner's manual so I know the features, what's needed, and get a sense of how it'll operate.  People here can answer questions, but the manual will give you more answers than questions you may have.  Of course, other questions will probable arise after going over the manual  :lol:

Thanks for the suggestion. I do that too.

As I understand it, streaming was added after the BDP-1 was released. The downloaded manual says nothing about it. There is an FAQ thread here, but it's up to 28 pages, mostly NOT of FAQs, and is no longer useful for such questions. I suppose I'll just ask the local dealer.

P.S. I don't think either is wireless, but hard-wired Ethernet is OK by me.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:31 am »
I am interested in a Bryston digital player. As I'm retired and not rich, I am thinking of buying used. My main interest is in streaming audio, not in using a thumb drive.  I would use a UPnP server on a PC and a UPnP control-point app on an Android phone.

Hi Mike,

To be honest the BDP doesn't sound like a very good fit.  If you are set on using upnp over USB drives then you are far better off with another product.  If you want to use a bdp and store the files over the network that is possible via samba (aka Windows File Sharing).  You can still control the BDP via your android phone using mpd clients rather then upnp.  I doubt you'll find a second hand BDP-2 seeing as they just starting shipping a few days ago.  The BDP hasn't seen any significant changes, just minor revisions to make them easier to build in production.

Cheers,
Chris

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:59 am »
Hi Mike,

To be honest the BDP doesn't sound like a very good fit.  If you are set on using upnp over USB drives then you are far better off with another product.  If you want to use a bdp and store the files over the network that is possible via samba (aka Windows File Sharing).  You can still control the BDP via your android phone using mpd clients rather then upnp.  I doubt you'll find a second hand BDP-2 seeing as they just starting shipping a few days ago.  The BDP hasn't seen any significant changes, just minor revisions to make them easier to build in production.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. Maybe I didn't explain right. I am not planning to use USB drives at all. Thumb drives are too small, and hard drives are too noisy for the music room. The music would be streamed over a network from a computer or NAS. Are you saying the BDP doesn't support upnp/dlna, and that streaming would be done by mounting the remote drives, using Samba, under the BDP's operating system?

I was not aware of mpd until you mentioned it. I infer that an mpd client interacts only with the player, and that the player acts as both music-file server and renderer. Do I have that right?

Thanks for any help.  Network audio is still pretty non-standard, it seems. And happy new year!

Mike

P.S. Glad to hear the BDP-2 is shipping. Looks like a nice box.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2013, 03:19 am »
Hi Mike,

Correct, the bdp doesn't support upnp (aka dlna), you can still store the music on a NAS; but rather then accessing the music via the upnp protocol you would access it via samba. 

MPD server on the bdp would read the files directly off of the NAS andnyounwouldnuse the MPD client on your controller (ie iPad, laptop, phone) to control which songs the bdp plays.

Cheers,
Chris

Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2013, 03:37 am »
Hi Mike,

Correct, the bdp doesn't support upnp (aka dlna), you can still store the music on a NAS; but rather then accessing the music via the upnp protocol you would access it via samba. 

MPD server on the bdp would read the files directly off of the NAS andnyounwouldnuse the MPD client on your controller (ie iPad, laptop, phone) to control which songs the bdp plays.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,
Unless I am missing something (and I could be) I believe the BDP-2 player does support upnp/dina.  At least James Tanner shows that as a feature on his "BDP-2 Digital Player" thread.  It is under the first post.

Mike

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2013, 04:41 am »
I knew i got the idea from somewhere. However the spec in James's thread mentions upnp server. What is needed is upnp renderer. That would make more sense for the product, but server could be tight too, since it has internal storage. I hope Bryston will clear this up soon.

As Linn is showing, streamed music can be truly high end. I'd think it a bigger market than a non network player, no matter how superb.

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2013, 04:44 am »
Meant right, not tight. Smartphone too smart.

Chicago

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
I knew i got the idea from somewhere. However the spec in James's thread mentions upnp server. What is needed is upnp renderer. That would make more sense for the product, but server could be tight too, since it has internal storage. I hope Bryston will clear this up soon.

As Linn is showing, streamed music can be truly high end. I'd think it a bigger market than a non network player, no matter how superb.

Mike,
I just figured out that Unigconito is the engineer at Bryston.  So the BDP-2 must not do what you want it to do.   :oops:

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm »
I just figured out that Unigconito is the engineer at Bryston.  So the BDP-2 must not do what you want it to do.   :oops:

Right!  If it's Chris Russell, he of all people should know the specs. Thanks for pointing it out.  --Mike

yioryos

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm »
         [  Right!  If it's Chris Russell, he of all people should know the specs. Thanks for pointing it out.  --Mike   ]           

I believe it's Chris Rice

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2013, 02:42 am »
Chris,
Unless I am missing something (and I could be) I believe the BDP-2 player does support upnp/dina.  At least James Tanner shows that as a feature on his "BDP-2 Digital Player" thread.  It is under the first post.

Mike

Upnp, although available is still in development and currently has the following features.

Upnp/dlna server: this doesn't help mike
Upnp/dlna client that is limited to seeing files and still relies on an mpd client to control playback.  On a bdp-1 it work okay with a few thousand files, but still doesn't fit what mike wants.

Cheers
Chris

Mike-48

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:54 am »
Chris, I do want to thank you for the clear, useful reply. I will look elsewhere for this part of my system, but Bryston will always be at the top of my go-to list for audio.  Mike