Recommendations for C&C DAC with volume control

Cacophonix

Recommendations for C&C DAC with volume control
« on: 29 Dec 2012, 07:14 am »
I recently bought a dynaudio bm5a mk2 powered monitors for my office space. My current setup is as follows:

SB touch -> NHT X1 crossover -> dynaudio bm5a and a DIY tapped horn subwoofer. Volume control is through SB touch.

I want to introduce a DAC with volume control inbetween the touch and X1 crossover. If it has an analog input along with digital, it'd be an added bonus.

Are there any that people can recommend under say, $500? Also if someone wants to sell their DAC, i'd be interested.

srb

Re: Recommendations for C&C DAC with volume control
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:54 pm »
The Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 ($350), a CS4398 based DAC, has 2 analog inputs, 32/192 over coaxial/optical and 24/96 over USB.

Steve
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012, 02:20 am by srb »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:54 pm »
Also the Audio-GD units are very nice, the NFB-12.1 uses dual Wolfson WM8741 chips, has adjustable filters, variable gain,and an Alps 27 volume pot in a unique configuration for $215, I think this may have been replaced, there's a promo priced NFB-15.32 for $235 now with the Wolfsons and the better USB chip.  The NFB-11.32 is about the same unit with a 32bit-192K Sabre ES9018 chip and has a 32bit-384K asynchronous transfer USB-32 chip for $339.  The Wolfson chip unit is warmer and more musical, some think it too dark, I like it just fine.  The NFB-5.32 has the Wolfson chips with the 32bit-384K asynchronous transfer USB-32 chip for $378.  Or further up the line the Compass 2 gets rid of the SMD's and uses all discrete components, you can get it with either chip, $499 with the Sabre, add $55 for the Wolfsons.     

SteveRB

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2012, 05:15 pm »
I've been happy with the Fubar DAC for about three years now.

http://www.firestoneaudioproducts.com/cute-series/fubar-3-mk2/

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2012, 01:06 am »

Cacophonix

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2012, 08:38 am »
Thanks for all the recs so far!

The emotiva and audio gd nfb 10.32 look to be very interesting. Does anyone know if the introduction of either of these into the chain will make for noticeable difference? How much better is the wolfson/sabre DAC better than the one in SB touch?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:29 pm »
How much better is the wolfson/sabre DAC better than the one in SB touch?

I think both are slightly preferred over the AKM4420 chip in the touch, but as Kingwa at Audio-GD says, it's more about implementation than any particular chip.  As a rule of thumb the AK and Sabre chips will be a little more analytical than the Wolfson which is warmer and also has a more impactful bass.  This is of course all things being equal which is nearly impossible as none of them are a one for one drop in for the others.  I think it's a better question to ask if the SB Touch is a better DAC than these others. 

Cacophonix

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2012, 08:06 pm »
I think both are slightly preferred over the AKM4420 chip in the touch, but as Kingwa at Audio-GD says, it's more about implementation than any particular chip.  As a rule of thumb the AK and Sabre chips will be a little more analytical than the Wolfson which is warmer and also has a more impactful bass.  This is of course all things being equal which is nearly impossible as none of them are a one for one drop in for the others.  I think it's a better question to ask if the SB Touch is a better DAC than these others.

So would any of the above recommended DACs be a noticeable step up from the touch? The emotiva especially is looking very interesting but i've read reviews where the users didn't notice an improvement over the SB touch. So i just want to know for sure ... With a lot of the inexpensive DACs from china, returning /trial period is not really an option.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2012, 09:08 pm »
Audioengine D1 ($169, 24/96 USB, 24/192 optical).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:36 am »
So would any of the above recommended DACs be a noticeable step up from the touch? The emotiva especially is looking very interesting but i've read reviews where the users didn't notice an improvement over the SB touch. So i just want to know for sure ... With a lot of the inexpensive DACs from china, returning /trial period is not really an option.

I haven't heard the SB Touch running from it's analog outputs, and not in my system for sure.  But I would assume most are not buying the Touch for it's analog outputs. 

Knowing for sure, with C&C DACs?  Surely you jest.  Most people just stick 'em in and see how they sound.  If they don't like them they sell 'em on eBay.  Emotiva offers a nice return policy, but their USB driver is pretty outdated.  The deal with Chinese DAC's is you get a $1000 DAC for $200, along with a small risk you may not like the unit.  However you do get the latest cutting edge USB implementation and Audio GD and importers like Grant Fidelity have pretty good reps.