Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation New or Used

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation New or Used
« on: 28 Dec 2012, 08:43 am »
Hi All,

First time poster here, super confused and dont have the ability to listen to all these pre-amp and wanted some help from fellow audiophile masters on which direction is best to go for.

I have set a budget for approx 10,000 US dollars (Might ablle to push it slightly more)

The following Tube Pre i have been looking for are:

BAT REX
VAC Signiture
Atma MP1 MK3

I would prefer a balanced Pre to go with the Balanced Amp. New or used dont matter. I am looking for something which is very musical and detailed.

Will be mating this with a SS Power amp.

Wasatch

Re: Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation New or Used
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2012, 01:55 am »
Manley Labs Steelhead, Conrad-Johnson

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:35 am »
Balanced version of Tube Research Lab (TRL) Dude
Vacuum State RTP 3D (a little out of your budget but you could build the kit)
K&K Audio Differential line stage with Maxxed Out Phonostage (used to be an employee at VAC)
Purity Audio (a newcomer that appears to be very interesting using 6SN7's, but only linestage, no phono)

Just google above for websites, info, and reviews.

Best,

Anand.
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2013, 03:27 am by poseidonsvoice »

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2012, 06:53 am »
Neither the Manley nor the CJ have balanced outs.

Now that the ARC REF 5SE is out, I'll bet you can find a great deal on a REF 5 for about 7k.  Great preamp.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2012, 07:10 am »
Any other suggestions, Tone?  I have an old AR7 line stage that I use with a phono pre and a Counterpoint SA5 that aren't shabby that I can hear.  Cheers.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2012, 07:39 am »
There are a ton of good choices if you've got 10k to spend.

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2012, 07:44 am »
While I have no direct experience with the Cary SLP05 I have had both the Cary SLI 80 and SLP 98P and both were really great amps. 

SLP 05
pure balanced preamplifier

Full featured, top of the line preamplifier with 2 balanced and 3 RCA stereo inputs, CINEMA BYPASS, tape monitor loop, vacuum tube preamplifier featuring (8) 6SN7 vacuum tubes. Vacuum tube head phone power amplifier section built in. Matching external heavy duty power supply with 5AR4 vacuum tube rectification includes front panel voltage and bias meters for the power supply. Standard with remote volume control. Jaguar Anthracite Black clear coat steel chassis and silver anodized aluminum front panel are standard. ZERO feedback design.

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/SLP05.html

jhm731

« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2012, 06:32 pm by jhm731 »

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:02 pm »
It's a bit of a stretch, price-wise, but the new Sonus Veritas Genoa is very good and has both balanced and single ended in/outs. Might be a good one to look for second hand if you can't hit that price, but finding one will be a challenge.

I'd second the recommendation for an ARC, if you need balanced in the pre.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:18 pm »
Just wondering what makes you think that you need to spend $10,000 or more for a great vacuum tube preamp?

Gee, we could build a special version of ours with $100 each clear top RCA NOS tubes, all Caddock resistors, whatever the best capacitors recommended here would be and still would not raise our cost more than $500 or so.

We don't do this because we have never heard "boutique" parts do anything useful, but even using them would make it hard to get the price up to your range.

I just don't understand audio components that cost as much as new cars at all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:14 pm »
Frank,
Your FET Valve preamp has balanced inputs and outputs, doesn't it?
I see that there's one for 15% off right now. 
Maybe that's the OP's solution right there and spend the rest of the money on upgrading something else.
Maybe even do something really weird like take the wife on vacation?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:18 pm »
   The TRL Dude is a top contender or Response Audio. Response Audio is having a New Years sale now. A sleeper and great preamp is Miracle Audios  Divinitive SS offering. Neutral as neutral gets. www.Miracleaudio.com
   If your into battery powered preamps check out Gary Dodds preamps.

charles

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2012, 03:38 pm »
Just dropping my two cents here...FWIW

I would consider this option. I had wanted a tube sound after listening to some Shindo and AR gear my dealer was using. He had some very nice things set up for listening. I told him I used to have a SS amp and tube preamp. He stated to get a really tube sound, you've got go with a tube integrated amp or tube amp.

I went ahead and test drove an affordable Line Magnetic Audio tube integrated amp and really hear that tube sound now. With the kind of money you are spending, you can go many routes. I love this sound for a fraction of what I thought I would have to spend...
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2012, 04:22 am by geowak »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2012, 04:57 pm »
Just wondering what makes you think that you need to spend $10,000 or more for a great vacuum tube preamp?

Gee, we could build a special version of ours with $100 each clear top RCA NOS tubes, all Caddock resistors, whatever the best capacitors recommended here would be and still would not raise our cost more than $500 or so.

We don't do this because we have never heard "boutique" parts do anything useful, but even using them would make it hard to get the price up to your range.

I just don't understand audio components that cost as much as new cars at all.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine
Good man.  It shocks me how Audio Research has gotten so pricey.  First thing that peeved me off is that now you have to buy a separate phono stage costing as much as their line stage if you want a PRE-amp that used to cost $1500.00 but these days cost as much as a new car.  This hobby of ours may have become the most inflated of anything in the world.   

Mr. Orange

• Flat speakers RULE!
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:24 am »
Here is another one to look at, the McIntosh C2300.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2012, 04:27 am »
A new one that I'd look at is the Mystere CA21:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mystere+pre+amps&qpvt=mystere+pre+amps&FORM=IGRE&view=detail&id=6BDDF9E0EF97CA6150979D12B4036C026BD4F83F#

Fine reviews abound for this baby.  Twenty two hundred clams but I think some dealers will discount.  I don't believe you said if you need a phono stage.

wilsynet

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:15 am »
If I had $10,000 burning a hole in my pocket for a new preamp, I'd probably go for the VAC.  Second choice would be the top of the line ARC.

medium jim

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:20 am »
If I had $10,000 burning a hole in my pocket for a new preamp, I'd probably go for the VAC.  Second choice would be the top of the line ARC.

I would be looking at used Nagra tube pre's, preferably with batteries.

Jim

TONEPUB

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2012, 06:40 am »
There may be a couple of dealers that still have the Nagra PL-L that you could probably get a great deal on a demo.  New they were about 8k and a fantastic Pre.  I use my Nagra VPS phono with a RedWine Audio Black Lightning and it is a fantastic combination.  The PL-L will use the same supply.  Vinnie at Red Wine can hook you up.  The new Jazz is coming in around 11-12k.

wilsynet

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2012, 11:02 am »
Frank,
Your FET Valve preamp has balanced inputs and outputs, doesn't it?
I see that there's one for 15% off right now.

Where do you see 15% off?