Pictures of the Salk Shop?

chargedmr2

« on: 27 Dec 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hi Jim,

Any chance that we can see some current photos of the shop where our magical speakers are born?  I'm not sure if others are interested, but I'd love to see some.  Especially since I'm too far away for an in-person visit.  I hope this isn't too far off topic or an inappropriate request. 

Happy Holidays!

Austin08

Re: Pictures of the Salk Shop?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2012, 08:31 pm »
Hi Jim,

Any chance that we can see some current photos of the shop where our magical speakers are born?  I'm not sure if others are interested, but I'd love to see some.  Especially since I'm too far away for an in-person visit.  I hope this isn't too far off topic or an inappropriate request. 

Happy Holidays!

+1
 I would love to see the version of ”how it was make” too.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2012, 10:55 pm »

why stop there?

a time elapse video of a single speaker start to finish with either the William Tell Overature  or Phillip Glass' Koyannisquatsi for musical score

a webcam in each of the production rooms
the lense would quickly be covered in sawdust in a few rooms

and the 'spot the Big Red Machine" contest 
when Pete makes his weekly forays

chargedmr2

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:35 pm »
Hmmm....time-lapse photography...  And I was prepared to settle for a photo or two!

Actually, in all seriousness ,a photo or two would be awesome.

JerryLove

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm »
If you like laws, sausages, or Salk speakers (you don't want to see them made)...?  :thumb:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2012, 11:23 am »
Maybe it's like the "Bat cave" or Santa's workshop at the North Pole and no one is allowed to see Inside. Maybe if we get some pics, I might be able to catch a glimpse of some black satin SS8s with my name on them.  :D

sounddog

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2012, 01:46 am »
I live in Michigan and have had a tour of Jim's shop. All I can say is that it's kind of like Hogwart's, only more magical. :lol:

Meicheng

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2012, 02:34 am »
I'd like to see that CNC machine in action that is programmed to cut all the cabinets to about 1mm accuracy. My security clearance probably isn't high enough to see the top secret stain and finish work! 

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2012, 04:10 pm »
A number of years ago, I lived in Cleveland and had a friend with a new start-up business.  I paid him a visit one day to see his operation, which was in an old manufacturing building.  As I left, I recalled wondering if it would be depressing spending every day in a building like that.  Now we work in just such a building.

I will admit that it really doesn't bother me.  But when people pay us a visit, I think back on that experience and wonder what our visitors think.  Do they expect a modern manufacturing plant with all kinds of shiny new equipment?  What impression do they leave with? 

The building suits our purposes quite well.  The rent is very reasonable and that allows us to keep our costs, and thus our prices, lower. 

Sometime in 2013, I may try and take some pictures.  But JerryLove's comments above might be more to the point.  There is really nothing fancy here to photograph.  It is the dedication and passion of our people that allows us to do what we do.  And that is something that might be difficult to convey in a photo.  We'll see...

- Jim

chargedmr2

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2012, 10:29 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  No pressure at all about the pictures.  I wasn't expecting to see a modern manufacturing plant at all.  Actually, for me that would be a bit of a turn-off.  I just couldn't imagine the amazing custom-crafted speakers that you guys build coming from such a facility. 

What struck my curiosity was a picture that you posted a couple years back of your mostly empty (and then new) shop with your new Altendorf saw. 

Happy new year!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm »
OH, OK, Here it is.   

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:38 pm »
That shop is just going to the dogs :lol:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2012, 11:57 pm »
That shop is just going to the dogs :lol:

You DON'T want to see what he just did in the spray booth.

drab

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:04 am »
Is that an 11.1 home theatre you got there?  :wink:

paul canady

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:08 am »
OH, OK, Here it is.   

Pretty dog! English Cream Retriever?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:39 am »
"Pretty dog! English Cream Retriever?"

Well, he was before he went into the spray booth.

chargedmr2

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2013, 12:43 am »
Nice!  The Altendorf must be just behind the leather couch! 

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2013, 01:59 am »
You DON'T want to see what he just did in the spray booth.

And due to the Raal tweeters, I thought he was there just as test equipment (silly me) -  per Wikipedia "The hearing ability of a dog is dependent on breed and age, though the range of hearing is usually around 40 Hz to 60 kHz,[5] which is much greater than that of humans.[6] As with humans, some dog breeds' hearing ranges narrow with age,[6] such as the German shepherd and miniature poodle. When dogs hear a sound, they will move their ears towards it in order to maximise reception. In order to achieve this, the ears of a dog are controlled by at least 18 muscles, which allows the ears to tilt and rotate. Ear shape also allows for the sound to be more accurately heard. Many breeds often have upright and curved ears, which direct and amplify the sounds."

JerryLove

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:48 pm »
Personally I like the sheet music stands... as though the speakers are being taught :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2013, 09:30 pm »
Maybe it's like the "Bat cave" or Santa's workshop at the North Pole and no one is allowed to see Inside. Maybe if we get some pics, I might be able to catch a glimpse of some black satin SS8s with my name on them.  :D

Here are your speakers about to go into the spray booth:

All I had was my un-smartphone camera handy.  You should see the gloss black SS8 set coming through - wow.