platforms stands for MMG's

brooklyn

platforms stands for MMG's
« on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:38 am »
I thought I would post this incase anyone would like to build these platforms.

I have wall to wall rug in my listening room and the MMG's where sitting right on top. I disassembled a double wood platform with roller bearings in between for a piece of equipment a while back but never heard much of a difference in sound.

I wanted the MMG's to have a solid foundation so I bought the small cabinet spikes from parts express and drilled larger holes in each corner of the platform to accommodate the threaded insert... The wood is 3/4 inch plywood but if I was to do it from scratch (which I plan to) I would use thicker wood.

I didn't want the MMG's to be high off the floor so these stands worked out perfect. The speakers sound more focused with a better sound stage.
While there wasn't a huge difference, the difference was easily noticeable and cheap to make. Pictures below..

I hope everyone has a great holiday season. JP

Rclark

Re: platforms stands for MMG's
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:53 am »
They respond to the slightest change, don't they? The nature of planars. Those look really sharp! Much nicer than the stock legs alone.  :thumb:

brooklyn

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2012, 07:03 am »
Thank you very much for the compliment, I will consider it an honor.

I've been wanting to do the platforms for a while but working out of state doesn't afford me a lot of time for tinkering around.

I love the way my system has been sounding lately, I'm afraid to move anything but I would like to try new cables and I'm not sure what to buy and I need a 16 foot pair.

JP 

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2012, 01:34 am »
Mark the position carefully with tape, otherwise you'll never find it again (or will, but will think that you haven't).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2012, 01:38 am »
Look closely, it looks like he already did.
It's good to hear it worked out for you, I've seen those spikes in their catalog.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2012, 02:00 am »
Yep, the tape can be seen quite clearly in the 2nd photo.

I should imagine this makes for a much better 'resting' place for the speakers than the carpet - nice idea. 

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2012, 08:33 pm »
Thanks everyone, this was an easy and worthwhile upgrade, having a shop in my basement
didn't hurt either. I've been listening to the MMG's the last couple of nights with different types of
music and they do sound even better then before I installed the platforms.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas holiday..

Peace and Love

JP

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:49 am »
Here are the stands I created for the MMG's.

brooklyn

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:22 pm »
Those are some nice platforms, I see you can roll them out for some serious listening.
How do the MMG's sound that high off the floor?

geowak

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2013, 05:47 pm »
I think it sounds fine to me. I get more bass out of the MMG's than I expected. Maybe that is because
I have an amp that has enough current. The platforms were to give me the ability to change the placement of
the speakers on the fly, and easy access to the back. I figured if I did not like them, I would find another use. The stands are filled with sand, for better stablity.
Yours look good too, I think one needs to play with them a little
to extract the best sound...that's key. I listen to Jazz, Blues and Instrumental music so I am not really rocking
out. The stands don't rattle, since the wheels are rubber balls.
I will be curious to know how you get the best sound from your pair
MMGs

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2013, 06:14 pm »
brooklyn,

It appears your speakers would be at risk of tipping over forward?  Or are they secured in some way I can't see?

Dave.

geowak

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2013, 10:54 pm »
brooklyn,

It appears your speakers would be at risk of tipping over forward?  Or are they secured in some way I can't see?

Dave.

I have Sound Anchor stands that are filled with sand. This gives the MMGs a very solid base. The stands have metal spiked feet that are actually dug into the hardwood of the platforms. They really don't feel, in any way like they would tip over. If I push on the top, they don't move at all. If I push just below the middle, they start to move with the platforms on wheels.

I know that many would say they are too high, but for me I can find the sweet spot and like the versatlity of being able to move them. Although I do have some marks on the floor to where they sit most often when I am seated on my main chair.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm »
Unless you're seated on the floor they shouldn't be too high. 

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2013, 05:44 am »
brooklyn,

Dave.

Hi Dave, I don't have the MMG's secured to the platforms in any way, there just sitting on top of them with the flaps down so the speakers are in the most upright position. They don't feel like they want to tip over in any way.

Once I figure out how to secure them to the platforms in the upright position like the Mye stands without doing any harm to the speakers, that will be my next move.

A while back I purchased the Get Better Sound book by Jim Smith, there is a small section in the book on how he feels the Magnepan speakers should be set up. I thought about the Sound Anchor stands but he did not recommend the speakers being off the floor so I did the next best thing I could think of, (Build Platforms) that has the speakers about 1 inch off the rug.

Geowak, if you like the way the speakers sound off the floor, that's all that matters.

I did take a lot of time and care setting up the MMG's so they would sound there best, having a dedicated room so I can keep the speakers away from front and side walls helped tremendously. I haven't been this happy with my system in a long time.

Regards,
Jerry

jk@home

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2013, 01:07 pm »
...A while back I purchased the Get Better Sound book by Jim Smith, there is a small section in the book on how he feels the Magnepan speakers should be set up. I thought about the Sound Anchor stands but he did not recommend the speakers being off the floor so I did the next best thing I could think of, (Build Platforms) that has the speakers about 1 inch off the rug...

Nice looking job. I set my modded MMGs up the same way, left them floor level, but aimed them so that the panel middle sections shoot for the listening height (just as Jim S. suggests). I was a bit anal about it, built a jig with a laser lever to set the angle, than bent the stock feet to that angle. Drilled holes in the feet and then bolted them to a base. You could actually do that with your setup. Or you could make wedged wood blocks with bolts and nuts, to go on the ends of your feet, if you wanted something less permanent. I agree with Davey, that looks a little tipsy. Guess you don't have any kids, dogs or cats?  :D

The whole stock angle vs raised panel debate comes across as a "black and white" issue, which IMHO isn't necessarily the case. I had my MMG sound great, straight up and raised on Sound Anchor stands in one larger room, but in the present room which is smaller, I got too much backwave level set up that way. And that was with the speakers 5' into the room, (but no room treatments, which was a factor).

It's real easy for a new owner to try this at home. Get some concrete center blocks to temporarily raise the speakers up, and 2x4 wood to try different angles by placing the wood under the ends of the stock feet.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2013, 04:57 pm by jk@home »

brooklyn

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2013, 06:07 pm »
With the speakers angled back slightly the way they sit on the platforms, the vertical center of the speaker is aimed at my head so it worked out perfectly, you have some great ideas though.

As far as tipping, while it probably looks like that in the picture, they would have to take a good hit to tip them over. We do have a large dog and a cat who come in to inspect and sniff around when I’m there and then leave, the door is always closed otherwise. 

I would like to try some GIK corner bass traps but I’m not sure if I really need them for the MMG’s, I very happy with the sound so far and not sure if they would make a big difference.

Regards,
Jerry

jk@home

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2013, 08:02 pm »
A lot of folks with Maggies use a combination of bass traps, absorbers and diffusers. There's a couple of good threads on the Acoustic forum that cover Magnepans, if you are interested.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:01 pm »
Mass, mass and mass. Just for kicks Brooklyn add some weight to the platforms and report back.

charles

brooklyn

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:59 am »
Thanks jk@home, I will check the acoustic forum, I would love to try some room treatments.

Hi Charles, the idea of more weight on the platforms had crossed my mind. I will do that on my next trip home in a few weeks and let you know how it turns out.

Regards,
Jerry

brooklyn

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2013, 05:07 am »
Mass, mass and mass. Just for kicks Brooklyn add some weight to the platforms and report back.

charles

Hey Charles, I finally got home to try putting some mass/weight on the stands as you recommended, pictured below.

I had these hand weights hanging around so I used 3 on each totaling 12 pounds on each.
Well, all I can say is the music is more focused, not dramatic but immediately noticeable. I will have to make the stands again with thicker MDF board which I have but needs to be cut or something that will be even heavier. I'll think of something.

Thanks for the recommendation..

Regards,
Jerry