Onkyo NR-809 awesome deal on Amazon

nocrapman

Onkyo NR-809 awesome deal on Amazon
« on: 20 Dec 2012, 03:14 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00505F01E/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

The price has been falling consistently over the last few days.
You cant even find a refurb anywhere close to this price.

This a great reciever with very good video and 3D passthrough.

Dan Driscoll

Re: Onkyo NR-809 awesome deal on Amazon
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2012, 08:35 pm »
Wow!  :!:

I've been lusting after a Marantz SR-5007, but even the refurb is $600. The 809 has all the features I'm looking for and then some, but I've never owned any Onkyo gear, so the sound is the only thing I'm not sure about.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2012, 09:05 pm »
well, there are 25 negative comments (1 and 2 stars) and 101 positive ones on Amazon. it would suck to join that 20% :(

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2012, 09:53 pm »
I have a refurb 1008 I got for the secondary basement system a couple of years back.  I really like it.  It started with redoing the main system and moving away from a pre/pro (had a Bryston SP1.7) into a 2-channel preamp with HT Bypass.  I picked up an Integra DTC 9.8 locally on Craigslist once I got the 2-channel preamp.  No, it is not what I would consider great for music (I currently use a Modwright LS36.5 DM preamp and a Modwright KWA-150SE amp) but I was blown away by how good it was for HT (and I had the Bryston in the system for years).  I had bought a Pioneer 1120 when it was current to replace an older Marantz 7300 OSE receiver in the basement and I was really disappointed in both movies and music.  The room was just too big.  The Pioneer sounds really good in the office system driving Mobile Fidelity OML1s.  So I decided to try the Onkyo 1008 and I could not be happier.  Prior to that I had not owned Onkyo components in years.  Many moons ago, I used to have an old 828THX rec'r in the bedroom system (I have a Marantz 6003 now) with a CD changer and a cassette deck.  I still have the cassette deck (gets used about every 5 years) and the last I talked to the guy who I sold the rec'r too and later gave him the changer, they are both still running and they have to be 15+ years old.  Many times reviews on those sites are people who can't figure out technology and don't understand how to use things.  Since I am going to move in a bit over a year and had stuff laying around, I sold the old Marantz 7300 OSE to a friend cheap and gave me a Blu-Ray player and an Oppo HDMI switch.  I had to go over and help him re-set-up what he did.  He reversed the channels among other things.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm »
point taken, but in this case most of the reviews are like "fine while it works, then sh#t happens".

It just looks strange when the price drops from a grand down to 400.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2012, 10:32 pm »
point taken, but in this case most of the reviews are like "fine while it works, then sh#t happens".

I have a Marantz 6003 in the bedroom system.  I had the original unit 3 weeks and it would not produce sound.  Was used like twice.  I got it from a local dealer and he replaced it.  No problems since.  The Marantz '04' series had lots of reported problems.  It is mass market goods, things can happen.  There are few companies like for instance Oppo, where customer service is above and beyond the norm.  When I move in a bit over a year, I am going to end with a receiver in the main system for the height and back surrounds (don't want more amps or components and already have a 2-channel and a 3 channel amp).  I would have no problem with buying Onkyo or any other mass market brand.  I would lean to getting a refurb again from accessories4less.com with an extended 5 year warranty.  With digital or video (and in most cases I won't over spend), the value drops. CES is a couple of weeks away and there's likely to be new models announced.  Sometimes we are too feature crazy and the new model may have one or two more things of limited value.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2012, 01:11 am »

Amazon does have has a history of throwing out really crazy deals like this, especially around the holidays and with discontinued models.  I've done some checking; most retailers I checked with don't have the 809 in stock anymore and most of  those that do still have it priced at $900 or more. Even the refurb units on Accessories4less are still $600+.  I did notice that some smaller dealers have dropped under $500, but I think most of those are unauthorized dealers, so the warranty might not be any good.  At least buying from Amazon I would not have any concerns about the warranty.

kbuzz3

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:19 pm »
anyone know right quick if this one has pre amp outs so it can be used as a pre-pro only..... i need something to tied me over for a little while until i decide on a pre pro dedicated versions

srb

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2012, 02:41 pm »
Right quick it took one click on the link and one click on the rear panel photo to see if it had preamp outputs.  Yes it does.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2012, 07:22 pm »
The price has gone up to $765 on Amazon.

harley52

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2013, 02:13 am »
Hey guys

I read down thru the one & two star reviews and from what I read I wouldn't get near that particular piece. Smoke and fire scare me. The customer service looks like it's gone down hill. I've recommended Onkyo to many in the past,  but I won't in the future. After sale service is too important.