What do you think ?

Guy 13

What do you think ?
« on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:48 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
My " Made in USA audio stuff " topic did not worked,
so, I am starting a new topic,
I hope this one won't be also flushed. (LOL)
Please have a look at this tube and tell me if you would buy it ?
It's easy to see that it has two printing on them,
maybe because it's a re-branded or chinese copy ? ? ?

Guy 13

Guy 13

Re: What do you think ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2012, 08:49 am »
Hi all Audio Circle.

WHAT ? ? ?

No comments ?
None of the Audio Circle members want to comment on this.
I am surprised.
Don't be shy.

Does that double printing don't let you suspecious about the origin of the tubes.

Guy 13

adrianc

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2012, 01:04 pm »
Hi all Audio Circle.

WHAT ? ? ?

No comments ?
None of the Audio Circle members want to comment on this.
I am surprised.
Don't be shy.

Does that double printing don't let you suspecious about the origin of the tubes.

Guy 13
It looks like a late production Mullard

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2012, 01:26 pm »
It looks like a late production Mullard
The supplier, (Who's name will not be mention not to get me and him in trouble)
says that that NOS could come from Holland, USA or UK.
What I would like to know is why a double printing ?
Brand new tubes don't have double printing, is that a sign of cheating ? ? ?

Guy 13

adrianc

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2012, 01:58 pm »
The supplier, (Who's name will not be mention not to get me and him in trouble)
says that that NOS could come from Holland, USA or UK.
What I would like to know is why a double printing ?
Brand new tubes don't have double printing, is that a sign of cheating ? ? ?

Guy 13
Some company buying valves in bulk pack for their own equipment  use,if this is the case then there will be no printing on the valves,your supplier may be not sure what manufacture are they so they put couples of brands on it,best things to do is to look at the date code if they still on the glass,hope this help.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2012, 03:18 pm »
Hi Guy,

I saw your original post, but I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.

There probably is nothing nefarious going on.  Tube manufacturers normally would only make one type of tube at a time and store all the extras until they ran out.  Then they'd pull out all the specific machinery and make that tube type again.  So if they got a large order for a tube type, and they didn't have enough in their stocks to fulfill the order then they would buy tubes from other manufacturers, relabel them and sell them as their own.  So in your case, what probably happened was Amperex got a large order for 5AR4s which they couldn't fill (and couldn't get around to making more of in time), they called Mullard and had some delivered to them, the relabeled them quickly and sent them off to their customers.  I've seen Amperex tubes labeled USA (likely Sylvanias), Mullards labeled Holland, etc.

As for NOS origins, they could come from any country that ever made tubes; not just USA, UK, Holland.  NOS Tunsgram are from Hungary, NOS Ei's are from Serbia (or whatever that country is now called), RFTs/Siemens/Valvos are German, RT's are French, etc.

You won't get ripped off with the tube, Guy.  I think most people would rather have a Mullard-made 5AR4 than a Holland-Amperex 5AR4 anyway.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2012, 04:06 pm »
Seems to me, this tube had 2 labels why the vendor had no time or will to remove the original label with alcohol as the tube stock may reach hundreds or thousands units.

rhandmj

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2012, 03:47 pm »
Why would a tube manufacturer take the time and labour cost to remove labelling from thousands of tubes, by hand, just because another plant in the corporate family was going to put their brand on them to fill and order??

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2012, 03:51 pm »
Looks like a re branded Mullard to me.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:14 pm »
Why would a tube manufacturer take the time and labour cost to remove labelling from thousands of tubes, by hand, just because another plant in the corporate family was going to put their brand on them to fill and order??
Tube vendor/tube broker, not manufacturer.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:29 pm »
Seems to me, this tube had 2 labels why the vendor had no time or will to remove the original label with alcohol as the tube stock may reach hundreds or thousands units.

That would look more suspicious to me than having two labels.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2012, 09:10 am »

Hi Ericus Rex and all Audio Circle members.
To me, the double printing looks very suspecious,
even if it's from a well known USA supplier
with a good reputation.
I bought from them a few years back about six tubes from them
and did not have any problem except the NOS 6SN7 was a
Radio Shack made in England ? ? ?
I prefer to buy new and well know brand.
I might try the Tung Sol instead of the Sovtek.
Guy 13
(6922-EL84-5U4-6L6WXT+ - 6SN7)

rhandmj

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:50 pm »
The double printing is not suspicious at all, it was a very common practice particularly late in the tube era where factories were shutting down and vendors were buying from wherever they could find supply.

But the bottom line is, if you are not comfortable, just don't buy. NOS buying, particularly nowadays where supply has virtually disappeared and sellers are grabbing anything they can no matter how dubious, is IMO only for very knowledgeable and experienced tube people. I built my NOS stash over 10 years ago when supply was still quite good (governments were still releasing the last of their stockpiles, and stashes in exotic locations were just coming to market), I wouldn't touch it today.

A Radio Shack made in England, for example, is almost certainly an East German or Russian rebrand. Unfortunately, when Brimar and Mullard had stopped most production, Brimar in particular was buying a lot of tubes from crappy iron curtain sources and sticking "Made In England" on them, so a lot of these still float around. Easy to identify. Radio Shack had a pretty lousy track record of sourcing tubes - we have to appreciate that Radio Shack was never an audiophile source, they have been and still are a supplier of cheap parts to basic hobbyists.

There are good sounding new production tubes today, and that was not the case 10 years ago. While those Tungsol rebrands made by Sovtex, indeed virtually all Russian production, don't hold a candle to even the lesser sounding 60's NOS, I have been surprised after dismissing Chinese tubes for decades to find some really superb sounding Chinese tubes in the last 2 years - the Shuguang Treasures and Psvane - and sonically I have found that they stand comparison easily to the best NOS - and believe me, I have all the best NOS here to compare to. In the 6SN7, the Shuguang Treasures CV-181 (which is actually not a CV-181 but is electrically a 6SN7 all the way) is a superb tube that might actually be all around better than most NOS. Ditto the Psvane 5881 and EL34. In general, I have found that the production from the TJ/Full Music/Sophia factory to be of high quality build wise but sonically middling, but if one has the bucks, European companies like Emission Labs put out superb sounding tubes.

So there are lots of choices. If one has a discomfort buying NOS (and that ad in the first post - that says "brands may vary - Holland, UK or USA manufacture" - I could not trust as the seller is clearly saying they could be anything) today there is no sonic issue with many of the new manufacture tubes out there.

decal

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:45 pm »
I think if you have all these questions and doubts about the tubes, you have answered your own question.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:51 pm »
Indeed. In my country this shop was selling 6C33 with no label last year, the tubes dont had any label stanped.
He informed the tubes were OEM tubes to be labeled by the buyer brand...(very strange)
http://www.altanatubes.com.br/webstore/Default.aspx?id=546

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2012, 07:11 am »
The double printing is not suspicious at all, it was a very common practice particularly late in the tube era where factories were shutting down and vendors were buying from wherever they could find supply.

But the bottom line is, if you are not comfortable, just don't buy. NOS buying, particularly nowadays where supply has virtually disappeared and sellers are grabbing anything they can no matter how dubious, is IMO only for very knowledgeable and experienced tube people. I built my NOS stash over 10 years ago when supply was still quite good (governments were still releasing the last of their stockpiles, and stashes in exotic locations were just coming to market), I wouldn't touch it today.

A Radio Shack made in England, for example, is almost certainly an East German or Russian rebrand. Unfortunately, when Brimar and Mullard had stopped most production, Brimar in particular was buying a lot of tubes from crappy iron curtain sources and sticking "Made In England" on them, so a lot of these still float around. Easy to identify. Radio Shack had a pretty lousy track record of sourcing tubes - we have to appreciate that Radio Shack was never an audiophile source, they have been and still are a supplier of cheap parts to basic hobbyists.

There are good sounding new production tubes today, and that was not the case 10 years ago. While those Tungsol rebrands made by Sovtex, indeed virtually all Russian production, don't hold a candle to even the lesser sounding 60's NOS, I have been surprised after dismissing Chinese tubes for decades to find some really superb sounding Chinese tubes in the last 2 years - the Shuguang Treasures and Psvane - and sonically I have found that they stand comparison easily to the best NOS - and believe me, I have all the best NOS here to compare to. In the 6SN7, the Shuguang Treasures CV-181 (which is actually not a CV-181 but is electrically a 6SN7 all the way) is a superb tube that might actually be all around better than most NOS. Ditto the Psvane 5881 and EL34. In general, I have found that the production from the TJ/Full Music/Sophia factory to be of high quality build wise but sonically middling, but if one has the bucks, European companies like Emission Labs put out superb sounding tubes.

So there are lots of choices. If one has a discomfort buying NOS (and that ad in the first post - that says "brands may vary - Holland, UK or USA manufacture" - I could not trust as the seller is clearly saying they could be anything) today there is no sonic issue with many of the new manufacture tubes out there.
Hi rhandmj and all Audio Circle members.
(Excuse my curiosity, but what does rhandmj means ? ? ? )
Thanks for your very well written post, very informative,
look like you know what you are talking about.
I still think I will go for new and well known brand tubes,
but I will check if your brands recommendations are within my budget.
Guy 13

Ericus Rex

« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2012, 02:55 pm »
I hear you, Guy.  A Mullard rectifier is considered by most to be the best ever made.  And so it would be VERY expensive!  Don't know if the sound of one would be 10x better than a Sovtek....

A reputable tube dealer wouldn't try and fool you with this tube.  If someone was trying to scam you, they'd remove both prints and then relabel.  That's what I meant before; any kind of vendor tampering would raise red flags to me.  But you should definitely buy what you're comfortable with, Guy.