Any chance in bringing back the DB-99se?

underdog64

Any chance in bringing back the DB-99se?
« on: 17 Dec 2012, 02:04 am »
Hi-I currently own VR-4jr mrk3s and love them but if there was a "type" of speaker I would trade them for (or towards) it would be a speaker like the ZUs or DB-99se's (used) where the bass amp was inside the speaker,the speaker and the speaker was sensitive enough I could use ANY low powered amp.I love the VSA house sound-don't you think there would be room in the lineup for an updated version of the DB-99se to compete head to head with best Zu has to offer?

JackD201

Re: Any chance in bringing back the DB-99se?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2012, 04:45 am »
THe closest would be the VR-44 Aktive. While not as sensitive as the DB99 which you could run with a 45 or 50 based amp, They play plenty loud and clear with 300Bs or paralleled 2a3s in a fairly large room (40sqm) in my experience.

underdog64

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2012, 05:05 am »
Yeah it might be close but still quite amazed VSA doesn't offer up this speaker anymore-the reviews were great-maybe a little ahead of it's time? or production cost reasons? I do think if they brought it back it would be a hit if not for the fact it's different then their other offerings and high sensitivity full range loudspeakers are more desirable now then ever..

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:57 am »
It shouldn't cost much more on a parts basis but the change from the 44s drivers to those on the 99s, 5's, 9s and 11s would require a whole new XO design to go with them, a new tweeter too. The 99's tweeters were subtly hornloaded to keep up sensitivity with the midrange driver. All these could be housed in the 44's cabinet.

Yeah, the DB was really ahead of its time. Back then SETs were the domain of horn and single driver folks and active bass and subwoofers were not as widely accepted as they are today.