Geminid meteor shower

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Geminid meteor shower
« on: 14 Dec 2012, 03:57 pm »
Last night (and tonight) was supposed to be the overlapping peak of the Geminids and another meteor shower.  In three hours we saw well over 50 meteors but only captured one in the camera.
Perfect night for viewing, but it also meant that every airplane within 50 miles showed up, too.  In this frame we have both.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Geminid meteor shower
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:43 pm »
I went out for an hour walk with my dog at 1:00 am est and only saw 7,,, very disappointing show considering 2:00 am was suppose to be it's peak.

Cheers,
Robin

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2012, 08:11 pm »
Nice, Thunderbrick. In a nutshell, what is the technique?

( I spent 10 minutes trying out techniques the other night taking pictures of moon and clouds on my D600, only to find there were no cars in the camera - didn't realize it would do that, vaguely remembered some setting I set with my D90)

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:56 pm »
Uh, no card in the camera?   Been there, done that.   :scratch:

Technique?
ISO 400 to keep the digital noise down
35mm 2.0 manual focus lens, set at infinity
Aperture?  Probably between 2.0 and 2.8
Shutter speed, 15-20 seconds.  And just keep shooting one after another for nearly 3 hours.

Theory?

Used the old 2.0 lens to gather light as quickly as possible, so that the stars look like tiny dots instead of streaks and the fainter meteors would show up.  In other words, just as we see them.  A slower lens such as kit 18-55 lets less light through, forcing you to use a high ISO for the same effect.  An a zoom probably wouldn't be as sharp.

I chose to shoot the lakeside scene, despite the fact that brighter and more frequent "shooting stars" were overhead because light pollution was worse overhead and behind me.  The lakeshore provided a nice foundation, or sense of place to the photo.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  Originally there were three cameras set up, all pointing at various parts of the sky, and some were running as long as 2 minutes.  Seems like every time the shutter would close and the camera was processing the image, the meteors would suddenly appear.    :banghead:

So essentially I said "Screw it!"  Aimed all three cameras (35mm 2.0, 24mm 2.8MF, and a 17-35 2.8) at the same scene, each one running 15-20 seconds each.  As soon as one shutter closed, I opened the next, and then the next.  That way we had virtually 100% coverage of the scene and the rest was up to the meteor.  Did that for about 90 minutes.  Boring as hell, but out of 300 shots (100 per camera), we got one.

Hope this helps!   :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:47 am »
yes thanks. most of my experience is with the moon which is reflecting the sun, so a much brighter subject. Good to know some settings for meteors!