Ben's SoundScape 8's in South American Tineo

jsalk

Ben's SoundScape 8's in South American Tineo
« on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:02 pm »
Ben wanted a new home theater set-up based on the SoundScape 8's.  This included the SoundScape C7 center channel, a pair of SongSurround I's, a custom on-wall version of the WOW1's and a Rythmik 15 subwoofer...all done in tineo.

Here are some pictures of the SoundScape 8's...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Ben!

- Jim

Nuance

Re: Ben's SoundScape 8's in South American Tineo
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:09 pm »
Another fine looking SS8.  In this is your first Salk speaker, welcome to the family, Ben!

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:44 pm »
Nice!  My favorite veneer (other than black limba of course).  Congrats Ben.

Listening1

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2012, 11:27 pm »
Gorgeous

benguin

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm »
I told Jim, these turned out even better than we had hoped.  After seeing some of the speakers at the shop, this really shouldn't have been a surprise for us though. 

My wife and I managed to detour our family via Pontiac late this summer just for a little audition.  We had planned on something in the SCST-HT2TL range, but as fate would have it, Jim had his gorgeous Pepperwood Burl SS8's that we had a chance to listen to- and were increasingly impressed by the STSC, then HT3, then the SS8's (which when kicked into gear had my wife and I just turn and gawk at each other for a moment).  Salk definitely had the emotional feel we were looking for, along with true pride in the product.

Soooo- that led to a rather extended order over what we planned.   These are our first Salks, but likely not our last.  I think I've found some spots for a few more.

Hopefully these will be showing up early next week and we'll get some delivery photos posted.

Thanks to Jim, Mary and the whole crew at Salk!
  Ben
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2012, 07:23 pm by benguin »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2012, 11:35 pm »
Congrats Ben and welcome to the Salk family.  Jim, kudos, more tasty ear art.   :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2012, 12:45 am »
Congratulation Ben. May this be your best Christmas and new year ever.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2012, 01:15 am »
That is sex on wheels! ;)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2012, 02:48 am »
The SoundScape 8's are high on my wish list and that finish is gorgeous!

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2012, 03:01 am »
Tinneo is a gorgeous veneer, congratulations.  I heard these for the first time at RMAF, what a great large sound out of a relatively small speaker.  That is going to be an epic surround system.

DGCURTIS36

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:42 pm »
Congrats Ben - great choice of veneer!  I can't get enough of my 8's.  The sound I get from them continually amazes me.  Most recently have been listening to Eva Cassidy's "Wonderful World" CD, such a beautiful voice coming from some truly remarkable speakers.  Enjoy!

chargedmr2

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2012, 02:34 pm »
The tineo looks great!  I considered that for my sub build, but went with another option.  Ben, maybe you could post pics of the sub when you get a chance?

benguin

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2012, 04:36 pm »
We truly feel fortunate to have found Salk Sound and now have these on the way.  The anticipation is even worse knowing they are spending the weekend at a truck terminal about 100 miles away.  Hopefully that means the pallets will be here Monday or Tuesday, and we can get some snapshots posted.

Choosing the veneer was an interesting experience.  We had seen a piece of tineo at Jim's shop and kept coming back to it for the colors, tight grain, and streaking pattern after looking at hundreds of different choices on the web.  It was just the right wood to blend with everything else at home. 

I have to say, however, that seeing so many of the other finished speaker postings had me wondering if we should have picked some of the other finishes sometimes.  There have really been a lot of stunning speakers posted here.  There is no questioning that Salk Sound really succeeds at backing up the sound quality with outstanding aesthetics.  The veneering and attention to detail is second to none.
  - Ben

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2012, 08:05 pm by benguin »

ckunstadt

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2012, 06:43 pm »
Yes. Please post pics! I'm very interested in seeing the custom wall-mount WOWs. I might want some too!
c

benguin

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:22 pm »
The Eagle has landed!   The big truck arrived right on time and we have a lot of unpacking to do.  Pictures to follow after I get home from work and get everything unpacked.

We did open most of the boxes and  oooooohweeeeee, the first view we had was the SSC it is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.  There is no way to capture the finish that Salk Sound gets in a picture.  The depth is incredible, and the veneering is nothing short of artistic.

I did hook up the wall mount WOW1's, and with my old existing sub tagging along for the low end they are an amazing set of speakers.  These are not to be judged on driver size alone.   I was especially impressed that Jim managed to put the ports on the bottom of these wall mounts.  Love the sound, although I haven't fired up Jim's demo disc yet.   They are going to be perfect for us.

Can't wait to get the SS8's up and running along with the gargantuan Rythmik.  I had the measurements for this, but the overall size (and weight!) are quite impressive.  Love having all that tineo showing on the front and sides though!

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2012, 08:01 pm »
Pictures to follow after I get home from work and get everything unpacked.

Please and thanks you! :D  I can't wait to get your impressions of the "big dogs!"

benguin

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2012, 01:29 am »
We've managed to get a bit of trial listening in tonight and I think our SS8s sounded even better than when we auditioned the pair at Jim's shop.  Since their permanent home is still in the drywall finishing stage, they are in the family room for now and as a result, we didn't spend much time with placement or EQ. 
Quick notes:  the WOW1s are very impressive, the thin wall mount box that Jim was able to work up is just perfect and the sound is very strong
 The SongSurround 1's are definitely way above any typical surround speaker.  We played with this as mains for a bit, and they are very capable.  With the sub, I would be comfortable with them for a main system.  Loved the sound.
  Next was firing up the 15" Rythmik- I was not disappointed.  At the time, my daughter was streaming a KPOP station over the internet and there was plenty of bass for the sub to play with.   After trying out a lot of material on it, and having used a sub in my systems since the mid-80s, this is clearly my favorite.  Excellent bass extension and incredibly clear musically.  After I had the 5.1 set up, this is also an excellent home theater sub- effects and music were nicely represented all the way down to low rumbles.
  Saved connecting up the SS8's and center for last- I felt like Will Smith in Independence Day with the alien craft- "I gotta get me one of these!"  There was nothing we tried out that didn't sound 'real'.  Jim's demo CD has a lot of tracks where you could pick out locations with pinpoint accuracy, the instrumentals and vocalists had all the live undertones.

Ok- enough gushing for now.  Here are some quick snaps:

They're here!

Obligatory pallet picture

Wall mount WOW1s- not yet mounted

SongSurround Is and 15" Rythmik (pardon the carpet remnant stolen from my garage for temporary floor protection)

SS Center

Looking forward to spending a lot of time with these over the holidays!   Thank you to Jim, Mary, and the crew!
  - Ben

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2012, 01:42 am »
Does your Rythmik sub have the servo amp?

benguin

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2012, 01:48 am »
Yes- it's the 15" with the H600PEQ3.  I had already been thinking of adding a second one in the future, but may hold off on that until I get some measurements when we get everything where it belongs.

This sub can definitely move some air.

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2012, 01:56 am »
Yes- it's the 15" with the H600PEQ3.  I had already been thinking of adding a second one in the future, but may hold off on that until I get some measurements when we get everything where it belongs.

This sub can definitely move some air.

Optimally you need at least 3!  4 is better.   Don't blame me, blame Toole, Geddes, et al.