Alternatives for good but inexpensive transfer of vinyl to Mac or PC....

EDS_

Turns out a friend has a small but awesome vinyl collection that's been on ice so to speak for decades - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors etc.  I've eyeballed some of the records, they are flat and appear near new in condition.  Thankfully, his covers are mostly excellent as well.

Now the tough part.  He lacks the funds to buy a TT set-up.  He does have a set of old Grado phones and an old Samuels amp fed by his Mac - the yield is surprisingly solid.  I'd like to help him out by copying his vinyl to DVD or thumb drive or whatever so that he can listen on his Mac and keep the records in top shape.

1.  What's a cheap but decent way to do this?
2.  Does anyone rent the equipment?

All ideas appreciated.

charmerci

Well, if it's inexpensive you're looking for - the USB turntable is the answer! (Have to admit, I don't know anything about the quality of the turntables.)

Here's a quick look.

http://www.squidoo.com/usb-turntables

wushuliu

Turns out a friend has a small but awesome vinyl collection that's been on ice so to speak for decades - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors etc.  I've eyeballed some of the records, they are flat and appear near new in condition.  Thankfully, his covers are mostly excellent as well.

Now the tough part.  He lacks the funds to buy a TT set-up.  He does have a set of old Grado phones and an old Samuels amp fed by his Mac - the yield is surprisingly solid.  I'd like to help him out by copying his vinyl to DVD or thumb drive or whatever so that he can listen on his Mac and keep the records in top shape.

1.  What's a cheap but decent way to do this?
2.  Does anyone rent the equipment?

All ideas appreciated.

He could always buy a usb turntable from Amazon. Rip. Then return. Holiday return deadline is 1/30. :icon_twisted: