Midrange or crossover problem with Vortex Screens

WayneC

Midrange or crossover problem with Vortex Screens
« on: 12 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm »
I'm so happy to find this forum!  I have a very old pair of Vortex Screens- one of the first sets as I understand it.  I've had them in limited use for several years, but now I have a decent home theater system and I'm using them as front speakers.  Wow, do I love them.  I have a pair of VMPS Super Tower III's that I quickly relegated to side speakers after a brief comparison.  The Vortex Screens are just so open and absolutely no boxiness.  Sweet. 
Except that I've am hearing a rattle in one midrange speaker that happens at at louder volumes (still within range of the Denon reciever) and only at particular frequencies.  I have a pretty good ear for this normally, but I can't tell if its a driver problem or a crossover.  The speakers are quite old, and I'm wondering if I need to consider new caps?  What do leaking caps sound like, anyway?  How can I tell if I have a bad driver or a bad crossover component? 
And, if I do need to replace the midrange, how do I get the old one out since its glued in?  Can I get replacements now, some 30 years after I bought them? 

I know, a lot of questions for someone from White Salmon, Washington.  Happy holidays to all, and thanks for your help. 

pre

Re: Midrange or crossover problem with Vortex Screens
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2012, 09:27 am »
Here some more about   Vortex Screens
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=320746