20.7s

medium jim

Re: 20.7s
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2012, 01:03 am »
Steve, would you mind providing height and width (of the top) measurements of your 20.7s? I ask just in case the actual size differs slightly from the spec sheet (and I think I used 20.1 dimensions when I ruled them too large - by about an inch). I'll place the inside edges of my 3.7s where those of the 20.7s would have to be - to be absolutely certain of the feasibility (although, I'm not altogether certain that I want to discover that it's possible after all). :wink:

It would change my amplifier requirements - I wouldn't want to redirect any of the low end to subs. Man, they'd really upset the apple cart, but we like the fact that the torture never stops, don't we? I could acquire another amp like the one I have and use them as monoblocks. Who needs to retire anyway?  :lol:

We are all doomed as we have been afflicted with audiophilistis and there is no known cure for it other than throwing mass quantities of negotiable instruments of exchange at it.

Jim

TONEPUB

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2012, 01:06 am »
Thank you.
I just took a look downstairs and without too much trouble I can gain another 6' in width and retain the dining room area which will be good all around.  I wanted to open up the kitchen, anyway.
Not this year but next year's tax refund will go towards the home remodeling.
It's a crazy hobby, knocking out walls to fit your speakers.  Keeps me off the streets which is a good thing, I suppose.

Good plan.  You will notice a lot more spaciousness if you can get that extra room width.  It will be like buying new speakers again.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2012, 01:20 am »
Where'd I put that sledgehammer?  I can never find that damned thing when I need it.  It must be next to the Sawzall wherever that got off to.  Dog must have taken them or something.

Kevin,
Here you go:
28.75" wide, 80.5" high with the base, 79.5" high without it.
I don't think you'll be wanting any subs unless you just like to feel the floor vibrate.

It was the damndest thing on the backwards tape section on Weasels - this one bit actually came corkscrewing out of the speaker and flew off to the left like something out of a cartoon.
I've heard that bit maybe a hundred times but never like that.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2012, 01:54 am »
Oh no, I don’t believe it… (speaking of 'Weasels Ripped My Flesh')

They’ll fit! It’s a tight fit, but they’ll work with the bases. Damn, I have been taking solace in the knowledge that they wouldn’t fit. Now, the yearning has begun.

There are other things I want to accomplish first. There’s still some work to do taming the room, but it’s getting close. To be perfectly honest, I’m very happy with things as they are (well, as they will be again soon). Maybe, I should take a drive up to your place to hear what I’m missing.

---

Yeah, 'Weasels' does twist out at the end, but I love the little tune that precedes that bizarre, last cut. 'The Dwarf Nebula Procession' throws a strange image as well.

TONEPUB

« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2012, 03:23 am »

I don't think you'll be wanting any subs unless you just like to feel the floor vibrate.

You'd be amazed at how much more grunt your system would have with something like a pair of REL's or a Gotham crossed over at about 25hz.

Of course, you just bought 20.7's, but don't rule it out when you're ready for the next round.  One of my guys has a pair of F112's crossed at 25hz with his 20.1s and the improvement was staggering.  Listening to "the Sonus Faber" speakers at Sumiko, which go down solid to 20hz still benefit from a couple stacks of REL G1s.  You can barely hear the diff when they are switched off from a sense of bass drive, but the room ambience really opens up with the subs.  I still freak out when I hear that.

medium jim

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:24 am »
Funny, but when I heard the 20.7's, they were linked to a pair if F112's and they sounded better with them out of the food chain, ymmv. 

Maybe if you are listening to pipe organ music or HT with serious sound effects would a sub be needed.

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:32 am »
It was the damndest thing on the backwards tape section on Weasels - this one bit actually came corkscrewing out of the speaker and flew off to the left like something out of a cartoon.
I've heard that bit maybe a hundred times but never like that.

Try this track..."Growing Up" (Track 2)...on Peter Gabriel's album "UP".... :wink:

medium jim

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:41 am »
Agreed that Weazels Ripped My Fleash, another I like is Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast from Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YF1K1rQ8QNA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYF1K1rQ8QNA

Jim

SlushPuppy

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:41 am »
Try this track..."Growing Up" (Track 2)...on Peter Gabriel's album "UP".... :wink:

Yeah, that track is insane!

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2012, 05:19 am »

'Sky Blue' in multichannel via SACD is pretty stunning too.

TONEPUB

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2012, 07:19 am »
Funny, but when I heard the 20.7's, they were linked to a pair if F112's and they sounded better with them out of the food chain, ymmv. 

Maybe if you are listening to pipe organ music or HT with serious sound effects would a sub be needed.

Jim

Then they were set up improperly.

Most people cross them over too high in frequency and at too high of a level, resulting in poor integration. 

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2012, 07:36 am »
Congratulations Steve! Those are some sexy speakers. 20.7's, you've won the speaker arms race, small room, large room, you've got it covered, now your wallet is set free to do other things.  :thumb: Must feel liberating in so many ways.

berni

« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2012, 08:07 am »
Congrats, Steve, you are in the right club now! :thumb:

Play with the room and try all positions out, I would use all of the room wideness , so dont be afraid to go further apart, especially with tweeters inside

Toni Rambold

« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2012, 10:23 am »
Hi,

I think Steve's listening room is nicer and more suitable than HP's: Room #2

Congrats Toni

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2012, 10:47 am »
Will do.  Widening the room should be easy enough (I hope) and I think that the town would grant a permit to add on another six feet or so to the front as we're a good ways back from the street.
As for freeing my wallet, well, I'm afraid I'll be living at work for the forseeable future.

Yeah, I prefer home and hearth over HP's room. 
I don't see easy proximity to the refridgerator...

One disturbing note was that it didn't take long for Lynda to gleefully mention that she could construct my coffin out of them by cutting them into pieces.  She didn't have to look so happy about it.

medium jim

« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2012, 03:15 pm »
Then they were set up improperly.

Most people cross them over too high in frequency and at too high of a level, resulting in poor integration.

I don't think so...I think just the other way around, the 20.7's were properly set up....well into the room and without room treatment other than carpeting and chairs for listening.

Jim

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2012, 03:32 pm »
    As one who was in HPs room many a time it measures dead flat. The angled rear walls really add to the mix as well. Generally we preferred the 3.7s in that room over the 20.7. However it was a stretch in determining that. BTW the Bryston 28Bs are a wonderfull match with the Maggies.
   One note is that if one is limited in width keep those tweeters on the inside as HP and Steve do. When our 3As were up and running We had the luxury of over 8 ft to the side walls which enabled us to have the tweeters on the outside.
   Enjoy your new toy.

charles

berni

« Reply #37 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:12 pm »
Some of us prefer the tweeters on the inside even if we have wide setups( or especially then)... :wink:

josh358

« Reply #38 on: 10 Dec 2012, 04:46 pm »
Hey Steve, amazing news!

I see several have already mentioned HP's room 2. I asked Wendell about that a few days ago and he said Maggies have always done well in that room, even Tympanis. We were speculating as Rollo did that the angled corners had something to do with that. It seems to me, looking from the picture, that they would delay the sound that would ordinarily be the troublesome corner second reflection. This is what makes the sound from dipoles wrap around the walls in a small room. The angled corners would work like the angled facets that are used to make a reflection-free zone in a studio control room, delaying early reflections by at least 5 ms, preferably more, because the ear uses them to judge the size of an acoustical space, and because early reflections can cause positional shift and coloration.

Here's the photo of Listening Room 2, it should warm the hearts of all of us crazy enough to put large Maggies in small rooms:

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2012/12/1170/

Though not necessarily wives who grow suspicious when they see us in the living room corner with sheetrock and nails . . .

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 10 Dec 2012, 05:12 pm »
Some of us prefer the tweeters on the inside even if we have wide setups( or especially then)... :wink:

Hey man nothing wrong with either way, just preference in sound staging. Enjoy !

charles