Suggestions for $60 or less full sizes sealed headphones for iPod?

slefty

A friend is looking to get his son a set of headphones for his iPod. Wants a full sized sealed design (so no Grado SR60), and with a price around $60 (US) max. His son has hinted for a pair of SkullCandy, but all my kid's friends with those have had them fail. Was thinking of suggesting either Beyerdynamic DT 235 or Sennheiser HD 419.
My kid uses lower priced Sennheiser HD-201 (around $24) and loves them, but they aren't trendy looking enough for this friend's kid!
Anyone have any good suggestions?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I was gonna say the 201's until I read the end of the op's thread starter. I just got Amperiors after hearing the 201's for awhile and love them. They are obviously more but really if he gets a Sennheiser in that range I think he'd be ok. The 20X's are Silver I think, they look cool but the 428's work great I'm sure. Check head-fi for more stuff, he could get a used pair over there and might score bigger bang for his buck. A thought....

TheChairGuy

My wife asked me if we had noise canceling phones to use (with her iPhone) for her next days dental appointment at 11AM.

The noise canceling phones sound crummy so I thought to get her noise isolating phones instead.  The problem was that she gave me only an hour in the morning to buy it for her - and 10AM when the Apple store and Best Buy open was too late.

It left me with Radio Shack, opens at 9AM, was the only choice.

They have a decent selection of headphones there of all types. I was trying to keep to $50 for sealed headphones, but the choices were nil in that range for closed backs.

I ended up spending $99 for an Auvia Elite headphone.  It's Radio 'audiophile' Shacks brand, comes with travel pouch, a normal and a cord with inline controls, to use.  It only has 4 hours of burn in on them but they do little wrong for $100, honestly.

If you're buddy can swing the extra $40, he may be happy with them as we are.  Wouldn't doubt Radio Shack has them at 25% off sometime soon, but waiting was no option for me/us.

ajzepp

The giant killers on head-fi right now are the JVC S400s...I'll have a pair here tomorrow and can offer some feedback if interested.

silver_strings

audio technica Ath m-40 are good not sure if theyre less 60 though

decal

If the kid is only worried about trendy, get the skullcandy, he won't be satisfied with anything else.

toocool4

Check out the Monoprice 8323 $22 or so Dollars

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57337747-47/how-good-can

eclein

• Volunteer
Zepp let us know about the JVC's!!!! Very cool looking....

silver_strings

Also check out the lower range of closed Ultrasones.

wisnon

The giant killers on head-fi right now are the JVC S400s...I'll have a pair here tomorrow and can offer some feedback if interested.

Or the S500s...more bass!

charmerci

Of all the suggestions so far - the Senn HD 428's look the most "coolest".

eclein

• Volunteer
Newegg has the 428's on sale right now for like 72hrs. 12/11/12 now I got the email this morning but forgot to post it...they are like 49ish....

ajzepp

Zepp let us know about the JVC's!!!! Very cool looking....

Easily the most dramatic example of break-in I've ever heard...out of the box they were good, but the low end was boomy and forced. They were totally different headphones after two hours...I had left them connected to my laptop while I had a streaming channel from justin.tv on, and when I came back I couldn't believe it was the same headphones. Initially I would have said they were a solid buy for $27, but after a couple hours of warming up I would say these are easily contenders in the under $100 category. I brought them to work today and they are really sounding quite nice. Thumbs way up on these.

I went to head-fi last night just to see if others had noticed the same weird transition, and it was confirmed...I don't know anything about this nano-tube whatchamafug technology, but these are keepers. I just ordered two more pairs for friends.

ajzepp

Or the S500s...more bass!

I will gladly try those now, as well. Thanks!

charmerci

OK, you guys got me. I just ordered the jvc s400's. Maybe it's because it's my day off and it's snowing like crazy..... :roll: :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
I ordered some as well the other day....hahahaha.. its crazy but I had to try some as Zepp and I hear alike...mine are due in Tuesday......

charmerci

I ordered some as well the other day....hahahaha.. its crazy but I had to try some as Zepp and I hear alike...mine are due in Tuesday......

Uh oh. Weren't you the one that recommended the Woodees that I didn't like?  :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep an open mind and we'll see what happens!

ajzepp

If you guys don't think these are pretty amazing for $27, you'll be the first ones to earn that distinction lol. Just be sure to give them a good hour or two of break-in, even if you don't believe in that nonsense...they sounded much different later on.

eclein

• Volunteer
Uh oh. Weren't you the one that recommended the Woodees that I didn't like?  :lol:

Anyway, I'll keep an open mind and we'll see what happens!

Oh Nice!!!!! LOL :wink:
I dig the Woodees sound even though I rarely use them now. Too many to try and not enough time. 
I do want to try some Westones here pretty soon though.... :thumb: