Apple TV - poor mans Squeezbox?

lokie

Apple TV - poor mans Squeezbox?
« on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:18 pm »
Working on a solution for a friend. They have an apple desktop and want to play the attached Itunes library through an AV stereo across the room. Could Apple TV (which would be attached to the TV next to the receiver) wirelessly access that library?

jparkhur

Re: Apple TV - poor mans Squeezbox?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:22 pm »
Yes and no

Apple TV, and version does not have a RCA or headphone out, it does have hdmi and I believe optical on one version.  These would need Dacs or receiver .  I use this.

Apple Airport Express has digital/optical out and regular headphone out .. typically cheaper in the referb store at apple online.  Remember, both only do 44.1/16 when going over the wireless.

Its good for back ground noise, but if you compare the ATV/AAEX to a low end Dac/CD no contest..

JON

To my Integra I do optical out of Apple APEXpress in to reviver and it converts for me...

srb

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:39 pm »
Apple TV, and version does not have a RCA or headphone out, it does have hdmi and I believe optical on one version.

Only the 1st generation ATV had analog outputs, both the 2nd and 3rd generation ATV have optical audio outputs.

If the AV receiver has HDMI inputs then both audio and video can connect to the receiver with a single HDMI cable.  If it is an older AV receiver without HDMI inputs, then you would connect the HDMI video output directly to the TV and the optical audio output to the receiver.

If the AV amplification doesn't have digital audio inputs at all, then as Jon said, you would need an external DAC or use the Airport Express which has analog outputs.  If you use an Airport Express, you wouldn't be able to control iTunes through the TV, but you could with an iPhone/iPod/iPad through a wireless network.

Steve

jparkhur

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2012, 07:42 pm »
The AExpress also has a digital out built in to the analog out too.  They are the same hole, but of corse use different ends.  The glass/digital light can be seen if you look inside.
JP

Taylor514

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm »
I’m also interested in the ATV usage for playing I-Tunes from my laptop through my sound system, and I’m totally new to the process. Would playing music from my laptop (wireless) through the ATV, and via optical out to a “Cambridge DAC Plus”, and into my integrated amp provide reasonable sound?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2012, 10:59 pm »
Would playing music from my laptop (wireless) through the ATV, and via optical out to a “Cambridge DAC Plus”, and into my integrated amp provide reasonable sound?

Yes, with the caveats

(1)  You are limited to 16-bit/48KHz resolution, so higher resolution files will be downsampled

(2)  The Apple TV re-samples everything to 48KHz, so Redbook standard 16/44.1 files will not be bit perfect and will be upsampled.  The Airport Express however will maintain bit perfect output up to 48KHz.

If you don't plan to use it for video or don't want or need control from a TV screen, then you might be better served with the Airport Express with the potential for a bit truer sound, but either will provide "reasonable sound" or better.

Steve

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:03 am »
I used an Apple TV connected via Toslink into my Cambridge Audio 840C as a dac. I could not tell the difference using the iPod streamed into the 840C or using a shiny disc in the tray. Currently I use the HDMI output into an Oppo BDP 105 with great results for cd/ipod music.

Taylor514

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:09 am »
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. Mainly for ITunes, no video etc, and CD's will be played through my CDP. I'm also considering the Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11, another option instead of the Cambridge DAC. The Airport Express sounds like a good fit.

PETE6737 - I think that the Cambridge DAC Plus is similar to the DAC in the 840c, which had excellent reviews. Thanks for the info.

Gopher

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2012, 01:39 am »
I have an Apple TV in my rig for Netflix and VEVO basically, but in my limited experimenting with it, it is far worse into my Metrum Octave via toslink then my Bolder modified Sqeezebox Touch...   Should be no surprise there though.

lokie

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2012, 02:19 pm »
So... Apple TV will play the itunes library from another Apple computer via wifi with "reasonable" sound quality.

Any comments on user interface?

I understand ATV comes with a remote that will control the video interface on the TV (that the ATV will be connected to). So, you will be able to control Itunes with that remote?

What about using the "Remote" app on your Iphone via wifi?

jparkhur

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2012, 02:30 pm »
You could use either or as a remote with no issues.  The apple remote is simple and basic.  I like the on screen navigation and it is easy to set up.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2012, 08:09 am »
So... Apple TV will play the itunes library from another Apple computer via wifi with "reasonable" sound quality.

I understand ATV comes with a remote that will control the video interface on the TV (that the ATV will be connected to). So, you will be able to control Itunes with that remote?

With Apple TV, I can access my music from either my ipod or the itunes library on my windows 7 pc as long as itunes is open. Using either the HDMI or Toslink outputs, I have great results into my OPPO BDP105 as a DAC.  I use the remote app in my ipod and have no problems with the functions...this is a great little box for the money..I plan on moving it to a family room sytstem, and getting a dedicated server for the audio room, eventually...

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm »
Sure wish Apple TV would read the flac files on my windows ituneless pc.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2012, 03:32 pm »
Sure wish Apple TV would read the flac files on my windows ituneless pc.

I am able to use other audio players in Windows in conjunction with Airfoil to play FLAC files over an Airport Express.

I assume you could do the same thing with the Apple TV, but you wouldn't be able to use the TV interface and would have to initiate and control playback with the PC or an associated wireless device app.

Steve
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2013, 03:33 pm by srb »

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2012, 03:43 pm »
I was initially a FLAC user, but the advent of numerous Apple devices in my home via my wife and kids led to my converting my collection into ALAC last year.  Now I can use the library with all the devices.

I might look into an Apple TV type device to help integrate the main floor HT system with the basement 2 channel system (where the Mac Mini and the music lives).

wgscott

« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2012, 05:51 am »

There are at least three ways to control the Apple TV (2 and 3).

1.  If you have it hooked up via HDMI to a TV or computer monitor, you can use the IR remote that comes with it in combination with the standard Apple TV interface.  This will still allow you to channel audio out the optical output simultaneously.  Any computer in your network that has iTunes open can serve music, videos, etc, to the Apple TV operating in this way.

2.  You can stream audio to the Apple TV from any computer in your network, either directly with iTunes, or via AirPlay.

3.  You can use it as a headless zone player.  By headless I mean you don't have to have it connected to a monitor.  By zone player, I mean you don't have to have the same thing playing as you do on the server computer.  You can then control it via Apple's Remote.app on an iPad or iPhone or iPod touch.  This is the way I primarily use it.

For whatever reason, I find #3 to be much more robust than #2.  I have mine at the other end of the house from my Airport Extreme, and perhaps the wireless signal is weaker, so I sometimes get dropouts when streaming, but #3 probably buffers the stream locally, so I don't have the problem at all.  Since I prefer using it as a Poor Man's Sonos, this works out fine.

As mentioned, it resamples everything to 48kHz.  I am not sure it won't do 24 bit playback; the menu seems to indicate it can.  I use mine with a 1st generation Bowers and Wilkins zeppelin.  With that, I don't hear any sound degradation.

johi

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:01 pm »
Just a quick note: I think the main reason to go with ATV is if you are also in the market for the video services.

lokie

« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:54 pm »
Just a quick note: I think the main reason to go with ATV is if you are also in the market for the video services.

Funny you mention this, because that is exactly what is keeping me from going with ATV. I don't want to use Apples closed video aps.

I want it to be more "open" with access to the internet. But, I still would like to access and play itunes catalog from another computer (Mac Mini).

BTW, everything is hardwired back to the modem/router.

Crimson

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2013, 06:10 pm »
Funny you mention this, because that is exactly what is keeping me from going with ATV. I don't want to use Apples closed video aps.

What do you mean by closed? Video-wise, I use the ATV for Netflix, Hulu+, some iTunes, YouTube, my own pictures and videos, and the entire Internet via an Air.

All wireless.

skunark

« Reply #19 on: 5 Apr 2013, 07:00 pm »

I want it to be more "open" with access to the internet. But, I still would like to access and play itunes catalog from another computer (Mac Mini).

BTW, everything is hardwired back to the modem/router.

Don't be blinded by the fact that the ATV does support the mostly widely supported video format h.264 w/wo DRM which is using a hardware decoder.   Airplay allows you to stream video now and with newer Macs and iOS devices you can even mirror your display to your TV.  Browsers in devices like a TV and gaming consoles are just awful and a HTPC isn't much better but at least you can keep up with all the security software updates.   Mirroring your display to a device is just so much better and at that point, like my TV, cd player, turntable, etc., it doesn't' bother me that all of those formats are technically "closed".    Actually I think the TV Tuner/Cable box are on their way out mostly in part to the commercial free netflix and itunes. 

If you want a $100 "open" i.e. zero DRM support, then one option is to use a Raspberry Pi.   BOM: board $35, power supply $10, sd card $10, usb wifi $10, usb bluetooth $10, usb hub $15, case $15-75, codec license $4/each.   For audio only solutions, you probably want to use a USB DAC.       
BTW, there's still are "closed" binaries installed whether you use one of the many linux distributions or android, but is probably as open as you can get for $100.  You can also purchase the hardware encoder/decoders for a mpeg2 and vc1 codecs for $4/each. 

Jim