BRIAN's SONG: It is with great sadness that I must post Brian Cheney has passed

audiomagnate

I got to know Brian over the phone this past year and was looking forward to meeting him in person at next year's CES. He cared so deeply about bringing the passion and excitement of live music into regular people's homes. He was one of kind. He helped me personally with a Megawoofer upgrade just a few months ago. I had no idea how sick he was. It must have been a Herculean task for him to get that order out in his condition. Brian and VMPS were as good as gets in our little world. My condolences, he died way too young.

PMAT

He Died way too young but died doing the very thing he loved to do. You get points for that upstairs AND among your peers. BIG POINTS in the realm of self worth and BIG POINTS with those of us that would like to stamp something on the Earth like Brian did. Now the VMPS product that you have has more meaning because the designer CARED.

Rclark

Is there a possibility of someone taking up the VMPS mantle and carrying on with the same product and using his designs under the VMPS name? It seems a shame that his company should end too. I think it's a shame really, he had some very unique, and extremely desireable looking models.

Stimpy

I'm curious about this very thing too?  Did Brian document his work thoroughly enough,
to allow someone else to step in and continue his work?  Even if it were just to continue replicating
Brian's existing designs, it would be a blessing to VMPS fans.  But, at the same time, I have to wonder,
was it all in Brian's head???  Was Brian talented enough to not need to write 'stuff' down, like the rest
of us normal people do?

Personally, I'd always wanted to buy a pair of VMPS speakers.  Especially, a current design VMPS model.  A
RMX was always a dream speaker for me.  Unfortunately, readily available cash and speakers never seem to coincide.
But, it would be nice to know that new VMPS speakers were still available for wanting customers!  Or even for me,
if I ever hit the lottery!

Is there a possibility of someone taking up the VMPS mantle and carrying on with the same product and using his designs under the VMPS name? It seems a shame that his company should end too. I think it's a shame really, he had some very unique, and extremely desireable looking models.

Housteau

I believe that Brian gave every speaker that left his shop the personal treatment.  I am sure that more attention was needed when the analog crossovers were involved, but increasingly more and more in the later years was the optional use of external digital crossovers.  He also had the foresight to remake most of his designs digital ready for such crossovers.  So, I see no reason why someone would not be able to keep several of these models going as digital ready.  I am sure that the documentation needed for manufacturing of the needed parts is available.   

John Casler

Hi All,

I am, and have been discussing this with several parties.

There are several challenges, not withstanding the "Brian Cheney Artistry" of driver blending and cross-over wizardry.

At the heart of every VMPS speaker was the remarkable Neopanel of which there are no more except the few we have in inventory.  That said a couple have suggested that they could manufacture or have manufactured such a driver.

As well Brian didn't really produce speakers with a "profit motive" in mind, but for the love of music and knowing how much people liked his speakers, so maintaining the price point/market position would be difficult.

There are many other similar challenges to reviving VMPS, but I am attempting to explore these in a fashion that would lead to tbe best outcome.

So any who have the interest (and most importantly the ability) in such a project please feel free to contact me with your thoughts.

Please do know that for a revival the simplest path with the fewest parts is likely the only way to succeed.

Corbin Johnson

I haven't checked into Audio circle in a while and I am shocked and saddened to hear this news.  My condolences go uot to Shirley, his family, the audiocircle community and you too John.

Corbin

John Casler

Just received a post from Richard Beers of THE HOME ENTERTAINMENT SHOW.

He has placed a memorial to Brian on THE Shows HOMEPAGE = = CLICK HERE  complete with a link to the wonderful Video Tribute created by Brian's daughter Terra.

They also intend to do a tribute to Brian at the Opening Ceremonies

At the Opening Night Reception, Jan 8th, 6PM in Red Rock ballroom at Flamingo, we will do a small tribute to Brian.  John Atkinson will share a few memories and feelings..

Shear Bliss

Thank You Terra for sharing the beautiful tribute to your father Brian, Big B to us loyal VMPS lovers. Though I never had the chance to actually meet your father, being from the Midwest, I feel as tho I"ve lost a best friend in audio. Shed tears watching the video tribute and more with the realization that VMPS will be no more. As Brian to us VMPS owners was and will always be our guilding light. Thank You Terra and Family for sharing.

Sincerely,
Shear Bliss

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I had not planned on attending 2013 Las Vegas THE Show.  Thanks to John Cassler's post about the tribute, I now plan to attend at least that event.  Anyone else planning to attend the tribute, please consider posting same here.  Maybe we can agree to meet somewhere for a meal and toast our dear departed friend. 

John, thanks for supporting Brian and especially thanks for the post about the tribute.  Let's make a point to thank Richard Beers for his generous home page notice.  Terra Cheney made a very common mistake in her video, one we all have made, referring to CES in a generic sense when we more accurately refer to T.H.E. Show, where Brian exclusively displayed for about the last ten years. 

Believe me, CES would never support any video mentioning T.H.E. Show, in fact I doubt they've ever acknowledged Richard's existence publicly!  Good on ya Richard!

Lastly, as someone who personally witnessed Brian's affection for his first daughter Doris Erica (Dorica), I have rarely if ever witnessed so much loving affection between two human beings.  Brian never faltered in this part of his life, at least as far as I could tell, and I was there going back to our "two guys in a garage days" at his home in the 80s. 

At the memorial last Wednesday, Brian's younger daughter Terra and step daughter showed a similar affection, and I was moved and delighted to witness it.  You would covet such a relationship with your children.     

Housteau

I had not planned on attending 2013 Las Vegas THE Show.  Thanks to John Cassler's post about the tribute, I now plan to attend at least that event.  Anyone else planning to attend the tribute, please consider posting same here.  Maybe we can agree to meet somewhere for a meal and toast our dear departed friend.

Attending THE Show was in question for me as well, since my whole purpose for going these last few years was to help out Brian with the room set-up and the recordings there, and thought I would feel bad being there with Brian now gone.  But, I then had the same thoughts as you and went ahead and made reservations yesterday to arrive the afternoon of the 8th to be in time for the opening night ceremonies.  It will be good to see you again.  Will George be going?

Harvey

RIP Brian. His legacy will live on with audio enthusiasts like myself, who will keep enjoying his very special speakers.

soarertoy

I was listening to KPLU tonight, one of the few uncompressed jazz FM stations.  Thanks Brian, RIP.

jakepunk

As a VMPS owner for 18 years, my deepest condolences to Brian's family.  He leaves behind a legacy of making this world a better place through music.  Godspeed.
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2020, 10:06 pm by jakepunk »

John Casler

Looks like I will be going to Vegas after all.

Housteau

Great.  I will see you there.  I arrive mid afternoon on the 8th and will be at the Flamingo for that opening night party.

Dunedain

I just found out about this, and I'm saddened to hear it.  A nice guy and someone who made a real effort to bring top-quality speakers, designed with his masterful touch, at very reasonable prices to as many audio enthusiasts as possible; so they could enjoy truly great sounding music and home theater without being rich, and I thank him for that.  Condolences and prayers for his family and friends.

Radiator

Very sad to read this.  I continue to enjoy my pair of RM2 speakers.  I actually bought and built the kit about 15 years ago or so(with mega-woofer and soundcoat)...I spoke with him maybe twice during the build...and again more recently when I replaced all of the neo-mids less than 1 year ago.

There is little I can say here that has not already been said.  May you rest in peace Brian.  Thank you for your dedication to something that I too enjoy.  You helped me garner a little more pleasure in life than I would have without you.

:cry:

nickd

I was sad to hear about the loss as well. I always made a point to stop by Brian's room at T.H.E. show in Vegas. Alas, I was absent the last two years and unaware of any health issues Brian was having.

Makes me wish I would have taken more time to get to know him. A really bright gentleman, I have always been a fan of his work.

My condolences to the family and prayers that all is well.

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
Wow, this is like a bad dream, Brian and James Bongiornio too  :(
I met Brian back in 1982, when I bought his monster sized VMPS Widerange Ribbons. He was close to John Bedini and John Curl back then.
I could not wait to get my Audio Magazine in the mail, and I always went right to the VMPS Ad in the back of the magazine, to see what Brian was up to.

I would hate to see VMPS go away, forever. Somewhere out there in the world, perhaps there is a person, who will carry on Brian's vision ?